Apex moving to Athens for 7 night cruises for summer 2021

TMaine

3 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

It depends on where you are in Europe... Portugal is already done with the third wave and opens up with extremely low numbers. Netherlands are rising, Germany is sort of in the middle (but lower than the US), Spain is going down, France is up in extreme numbers...

steamboats

4 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

At this point, far more important than any "waves", are the vaccination statistics...

If any of us were any good at wearing masks, only venturing out when necessary and refraining from large gatherings, those waves would disappear...But what we've learned of human nature is that far too many people seem capable of doing that.  We see "waves" after things like holidays--when people gather in larger numbers for Christmas or New Years, you see a spike in cases within the two or three weeks after...You also see these waves when some government somewhere tells its people that it's okay for them to open up businesses, churches, concerts, athletic events, etc.  Unvaccinated people gather...and pass the virus around.

Since that is not going to allow us to get rid of the virus, you have to look at the real best hope...and that is VACCINATION.  I watch the statistics here in California very closely.  The largest "wave", by far, followed the Christmas/New Year's holidays--when vaccinations were not yet readily available.  Since then, the vaccination program began in earnest and has steadily been increased with eligibility to more people and with more vaccines being approved for use and available in greater supply.  California recently extended eligibility to all people over the age of 50...and adults below 50 with pre-existing conditions.  As of April 15, this is expanded to ALL people over the age of 16...

As of today, in a state with a population of 40 million, we've administered just short of 20 million doses.  AND the "numbers" are WAY DOWN.  New cases, daily death toll and hospital usage are all now negligible...We now have 7.5 million Californians fully vaccinated and 6 million more partially vaccinated...and we are administering over 350,000 vaccinations per day...and that number is increasing substantially.  It doesn't mean Covid will be completely eradicated here any time soon--because many people, for some strange reason or another, refuse to be vaccinated...so, as long as the virus exists anywhere, it will still find its way here...But, as it becomes more rare and more people are immune, it will cease to be a pandemic.  And that time is fast approaching.

At this point in time, of course, many countries around the world are nowhere near as successful at getting their people vaccinated.  in many places, there are issues with vaccine supply, with required refrigeration facilities or with personnel and access.  But all of that should change rapidly over the next few months.  Factories that produce the vaccines are ramping up production...and new vaccines (many of which don't require refrigeration) are coming onto the market.  As that variety of vaccines and increased supply comes onto the market, those vaccination numbers should skyrocket in much of the world.  As the vaccination numbers start moving up over the 50% mark and above, the virus will become more and more rare...and less of a concern, especially to those vaccinated.

"Waves" are something we only worry about until those vaccination numbers reach a reasonable level.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

At this point, far more important than any "waves", are the vaccination statistics...

If any of us were any good at wearing masks, only venturing out when necessary and refraining from large gatherings, those waves would disappear...But what we've learned of human nature is that far too many people seem capable of doing that.  We see "waves" after things like holidays--when people gather in larger numbers for Christmas or New Years, you see a spike in cases within the two or three weeks after...You also see these waves when some government somewhere tells its people that it's okay for them to open up businesses, churches, concerts, athletic events, etc.  Unvaccinated people gather...and pass the virus around.

Since that is not going to allow us to get rid of the virus, you have to look at the real best hope...and that is VACCINATION.  I watch the statistics here in California very closely.  The largest "wave", by far, followed the Christmas/New Year's holidays--when vaccinations were not yet readily available.  Since then, the vaccination program began in earnest and has steadily been increased with eligibility to more people and with more vaccines being approved for use and available in greater supply.  California recently extended eligibility to all people over the age of 50...and adults below 50 with pre-existing conditions.  As of April 15, this is expanded to ALL people over the age of 16...

As of today, in a state with a population of 40 million, we've administered just short of 20 million doses.  AND the "numbers" are WAY DOWN.  New cases, daily death toll and hospital usage are all now negligible...We now have 7.5 million Californians fully vaccinated and 6 million more partially vaccinated...and we are administering over 350,000 vaccinations per day...and that number is increasing substantially.  It doesn't mean Covid will be completely eradicated here any time soon--because many people, for some strange reason or another, refuse to be vaccinated...so, as long as the virus exists anywhere, it will still find its way here...But, as it becomes more rare and more people are immune, it will cease to be a pandemic.  And that time is fast approaching.

At this point in time, of course, many countries around the world are nowhere near as successful at getting their people vaccinated.  in many places, there are issues with vaccine supply, with required refrigeration facilities or with personnel and access.  But all of that should change rapidly over the next few months.  Factories that produce the vaccines are ramping up production...and new vaccines (many of which don't require refrigeration) are coming onto the market.  As that variety of vaccines and increased supply comes onto the market, those vaccination numbers should skyrocket in much of the world.  As the vaccination numbers start moving up over the 50% mark and above, the virus will become more and more rare...and less of a concern, especially to those vaccinated.

"Waves" are something we only worry about until those vaccination numbers reach a reasonable level.

Texas eliminated mask mandates and opened all businesses 100% 4 weeks ago and our state continues to trend down for positive tested cases. Here in San Antonio our running 7 day averages for positivity in 2% or less compared to January where it was over 10%. We also are approaching the 34% of all adults in our county have at least one vaccination and 21% fully vaccinated with both shots. Those vaccination numbers are increasing every day by about 12,000. Also our schools have been open most of this school year with no huge spread of the virus

• Like 3

Aegean airlines is now accepting international bookings into Greece from May 15th onward.  This is encouraging news and it confirms the statement made by the Minister of Tourism that Greece will allow vaccinated tourist to enter the country after that date.  I don't think these two actions are independent of one another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Aegean airlines is now accepting international bookings into Greece from May 15th onward.  This is encouraging news and it confirms the statement made by the Minister of Tourism that Greece will allow vaccinated tourist to enter the country after that date.  I don't think these two actions are independent of one another.

We booked a Rome to Athens Aegean Airlines ticket back in January, for September 21st,  unless that is not considered international by the EU..

Edited by terrydtx

Like you I booked a flight several months ago from London to Athens (on British Air) so there were flights already available but this announcement was more indicative of the specific date of May 15th. It included a 40% discount on some fares.

I had to change several flights on Aegean so I spoke with an agent and she did say the announcement was linked to “vaccinated” tourist being allowed to enter Greece.  She did not have any definitive information just what they were discussing internally. I suspect that Aegean has more information about this that they just can’t share publicly.  

By the way I am being super attentive to this because I have a 48 day Greek trip planned beginning May 22.  No cruise involved but a lot of ferries and flights on Aegean.  I have gone into this with expectations of having to cancel everything but I am hopeful that it will happen!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

By the way I am being super attentive to this because I have a 48 day Greek trip planned beginning May 22.  No cruise involved but a lot of ferries and flights on Aegean.  I have gone into this with expectations of having to cancel everything but I am hopeful that it will happen!

Good luck to you. Keep us updated. Looking at possibly doing a trip with some Greek island hopping in the fall (perhaps October) if things go south with my September Celebrity sailing and Greece is open to US tourists (vaccinated of course).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We booked a Rome to Athens Aegean Airlines ticket back in January, for September 21st,  unless that is not considered international by the EU..

You can book and pay all flights you want but the question is if they let you check in and fly later..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

If any of us were any good at wearing masks, only venturing out when necessary and refraining from large gatherings, those waves would disappear...

Unfortunately for Greece, the vaccination stats are currently at about 17.5% vaccinated, and both the number of new infections and number of deaths is climbing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Texas eliminated mask mandates and opened all businesses 100% 4 weeks ago and our state continues to trend down for positive tested cases. Here in San Antonio our running 7 day averages for positivity in 2% or less compared to January where it was over 10%. We also are approaching the 34% of all adults in our county have at least one vaccination and 21% fully vaccinated with both shots. Those vaccination numbers are increasing every day by about 12,000. Also our schools have been open most of this school year with no huge spread of the virus

Here is more proof about the decline in positivity in Texas since the mandates were eliminated;

This report id from yesterday:

New COVID-19 cases plummet in Texas (lubbockonline.com)

Even Dr Fauci can't explain the drop in Texas

Fauci: "Confusing" Why Texas COVID Rates Are Going Down After Ending Mask Mandate | Video | RealClearPolitics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Unfortunately for Greece, the vaccination stats are currently at about 17.5% vaccinated, and both the number of new infections and number of deaths is climbing.

It will not improve much if the AZ vaccine is shelved in the EU.

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Here is more proof about the decline in positivity in Texas since the mandates were eliminated;

This report id from yesterday:

New COVID-19 cases plummet in Texas (lubbockonline.com)

Even Dr Fauci can't explain the drop in Texas

Fauci: "Confusing" Why Texas COVID Rates Are Going Down After Ending Mask Mandate | Video | RealClearPolitics

Honestly I am happy about the current trend in Texas.  I have both friends and relatives in the state.  I hope it holds.  The Northeast states were in good shape a few weeks ago but the UK variant and the NY variant are more contagious and infecting younger adults and kids not yet vaccinated.  All in all too early to declare victory anywhere.

• Like 3

🙂 FYI if you haven't seen this, over on the HAL board there's news about another Athens sailing starting up  - "SummerInKefalonia" posted:

"Today it was Eurodam's turn to be registered in the official schedule of Piraeus, Athens port.

7-night cruises from the 23rd of July until the 29th of October 2021."

9 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

🙂 FYI if you haven't seen this, over on the HAL board there's news about another Athens sailing starting up...

I would expect EVERY cruise line to be calling Greek officials about scheduling itineraries...

If I run a cruise line and I have a bunch of idle ships and I haven't been able to operate for over a year and one of my competitors announcing they have been cleared to cruise somewhere, I am jumping in as well...Just a question of getting the approvals plus lead time to hire the crew, make sure they're vaccinated, getting the ship to the area...and selling the cruises...Apparently, HAL thinks they can do it in 3.5 months...probably already made the phone calls and got the approvals.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I would expect EVERY cruise line to be calling Greek officials about scheduling itineraries...

And I bet you will be right 😁 The same poster "SummerInKalfonia" has posted this on the Princess board:

"Today it was Enchanted Princess's turn to be registered in the official schedule of Piraeus, Athens port.

7-night cruises from the 4th of July until the 14th of November 2021."

Opa!

On 4/6/2021 at 1:58 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Just checked this morning and the mortality rate in Greece keeps climbing -- I think they just surpassed Italy which has been in a virtual lock-down due to the number and severity of cases there. 

COVID has not yet had the last laugh, I fear....  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just checked this morning and the mortality rate in Greece keeps climbing -- I think they just surpassed Italy which has been in a virtual lock-down due to the number and severity of cases there. 

COVID has not yet had the last laugh, I fear....  

So I think I will ignore the rising cases and deaths in Greece, ignore the US CDC, ignore the current US and EU travel bans for Americans, and just send Celebrity deposit money for these APEX cruises.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So I think I will ignore the rising cases and deaths in Greece, ignore the US CDC, ignore the current US and EU travel bans for Americans, and just send Celebrity deposit money for these APEX cruises.  

You will find enough people willing to do exactly that... 😉

Some of them saying and thinking: I am vaccinated so why would I care...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

For the early cruises, it is not just deposit money - full payment is due.  However, I suspect many folks are using credits for other cancelled cruises.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Oh dear. I wonder how many, oblivious to the concept of satire, will agree with you fully.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hello, I am just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem that my husband and I have.  We signed up for the Apex sailing from Athens on June 19 and a back to back (same route) June 26.  We paid and were booked.  We went ahead and purchased our round trip airline tickets and made hotel reservations for a before and after stay in Athens.  Today we got notice by telephone that it was Celebrity’s policy that back to back weren’t allowed!  We were shocked because we were sold both sails without any mention of this “policy”.  We were told we have to cancel one of them.  We called and asked what was the reason for this policy.  The person was unable to give us any rationale for this “policy” or any reason why we were not informed at the time of purchase.  We declined to cancel as we believe it is not justified.  Please let me/us know if you’ve encountered a similar problem.  Thanks in advance. We were so looking forward to this trip!

11 minutes ago, BunnyCat said:

Hello, I am just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem that my husband and I have.  We signed up for the Apex sailing from Athens on June 19 and a back to back (same route) June 26.  We paid and were booked.  We went ahead and purchased our round trip airline tickets and made hotel reservations for a before and after stay in Athens.  Today we got notice by telephone that it was Celebrity’s policy that back to back weren’t allowed!  We were shocked because we were sold both sails without any mention of this “policy”.  We were told we have to cancel one of them.  We called and asked what was the reason for this policy.  The person was unable to give us any rationale for this “policy” or any reason why we were not informed at the time of purchase.  We declined to cancel as we believe it is not justified.  Please let me/us know if you’ve encountered a similar problem.  Thanks in advance. We were so looking forward to this trip!

Unfortunately X did make the decision not to allow B2B's for their startup cruises, both from St. Martin and Greece. I believe it was announced last week. The cruise lines were required by the CDC to restrict sailings to 7 nights when they return to service, so that probably is the reason.