Question on CDC no sail order

crimmj

According to the news, the CDC has extended the suspension of sailing for cruise ships several times. The latest extension is slated to last through November 1, 2021.

I am not clear on this no-sail order. Does it only affect cruise lines whose main office is based in the USA? Or does it also apply to any cruise lines which stop at a US port? Such as San Juan. 

46 minutes ago, crimmj said:

According to the news, the CDC has extended the suspension of sailing for cruise ships several times. The latest extension is slated to last through November 1, 2021.

I am not clear on this no-sail order. Does it only affect cruise lines whose main office is based in the USA? Or does it also apply to any cruise lines which stop at a US port? Such as San Juan. 

From the CDC, Puerto Rico is included.

"US territories include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands."

• Like 1

right you are.  As a privately held Norwegian company Viking can ignore the CDC if it chooses to do so.  They will not be able to enter any US ports or waters so will cut back a little.  Viking River cruises are to the countries they sail in as to what the rules are.  As usual, our bureaucrats are shooting flies with shotguns.  Quite a few countries are opening to cruises/tourism.  If we have to stay shut down, why have we had these chemicals injected into our bodies??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

why have we had these chemicals injected into our bodies??

...so that families, relatives, etc. can start to reunite in a safer manner than has been the case since basically all of last year. I feel the chance to do so is more important than being able to start cruising again. I'd like to see my daughter at some point since it's been over a year. Just about the same for my Mom who has spent most of the pandemic in assisted living lockdown. Thus far only about 488M vaccine doses have been given globally, roughly equal to 6 doses for every 100 people. In my local county I think it's around 10% total vaccinations. I tend to agree with the CDC...go a bit further yet and shut this whole thing down until 2022, as I've been suggesting the past few weeks. I know your thoughts, having referred to other pandemics, polio, etc. but I just don't think we're quite far enough along yet. I don't think the cruise lines truly have any idea of how to safely restart anyway at this point.

If this is accurate....it shows a (thus far) pretty weak picture as to total vaccination. Not good for international travel yet. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think you are going to find that there are a great many that disagree with your shut it all down until 2022. A totally divided country.  Not good.  But look at the bright side...  If you fear traveling, stay home.😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim -

As I indicated in various postings, I feel the covid pandemic is a more serious problem than you have indicated. However, I also strongly agree with you that we don’t need to shut it all down now for the rest of 2021. And I disagree with OTJ’s assertion that cruise lines don’t  “truly have any idea of how to safely restart anyway at this point.“ I’m sure Dr. Bono does. I just made my final payment for my September 19 river cruise and will trust Viking’s call if it’s safe to sail.

• Like 2

It will never be “safe” to sail.  And anyone in authority that uses that term, unqualified, regarding their line sailing again damages their credibility.  Risk, both individual health and financial, can be reduced to the point a person may feel it is worth taking that risk to sail.  But it has never been, and it will never be, “safe” to go to sea on a cruise liner.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

(PS - Being vaccinated, we would sail in a heartbeat, as long as trip insurance will pay for cruise interruption due to covid on-board, etc.  However, we recognize that the vaccine we got is only 95% effective, and that we could become ill with covid, or the flu, noro, etc.)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

...so that families, relatives, etc. can start to reunite

If this is accurate....it shows a (thus far) pretty weak picture as to total vaccination. Not good for international travel yet. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

OTJ: Thank you for a wise post. It’s a breath of fresh air..

Seems like some believe if they can’t get immediate gratification then why vaccinate? Sadly the fact the vaccine can save our lives but also protects others is irrelevant. This may be the challenge. At the moment an estimated 30% of the US is afraid or unwilling to get vaccinated. 

I’m not convinced the safe reopen  will be 2022. As the successful President Biden pledge of 100 vaccines in 100 days proves, much can happen in a short period.

Now, 200 in 100 seems within rich. I’d like to see 300 in 100 days the next 100 days. 

Will cruising resume to “normal” this year, unlikely. But if 5-6 products can become available then much can happen in just 100 days. Keep the faith and do s9mething nice for someone!

Bob

• Like 1

I don't know the answer to all the questions about when, if, will, where, how cruising will start.  Not sure that any one one on  this or any board knows.  JMHO we all need to sit back and see what happens and not stress about it.  When they start sailing if you want to take the risk then ( like me) you should go.  If you don't want to take the risk stay home.  If they cancel your cruise you have a couple of choices... get your money back or do the 25% deal.

Just that simple to me...

Edited by Porcupine 52
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Just that simple to me...

I totally agree. And given 2 incidents in my past sailings with Viking, I would expect Viking would compensate us in some way if a cruise is disrupted due to covid.

• Like 1

New California vaccine eligibility rules:

Updated March 25, 2021 to reflect:

• Beginning April 1, 2021, individuals age 50-64 years old will be eligible for COVID-19 vaccines.
  • Beginning April 15, 2021, every Californian age 16 and older will become eligible for COVID-19 vaccines.

Most seniors in Cali have had at least one shot.  I checked availability at CVS.com and they had a zillion appts available in our county.  That is in addition to the county-run supersites.

So it appears to actually be daylight at the fast approaching end of the tunnel, not a covid freight train 🙂

• Like 1

Some good news here.  As of today, Arizona has lifted the mask mandate and is returning businesses to mostly "normal".  Businesses are free to require masks if they want but restaurants can get going and our gym lifted restrictions and made masks optional today.  It was great to workout hard and actually be able to breathe.🍸😎

Getting our second jab this afternoon.  No problems getting vax appointments in AZ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Some good news here.  As of today, Arizona has lifted the mask mandate and is returning businesses to mostly "normal".  Businesses are free to require masks if they want but restaurants can get going and our gym lifted restrictions and made masks optional today.  It was great to workout hard and actually be able to breathe.🍸😎

Getting our second jab this afternoon.  No problems getting vax appointments in AZ.

I'm going to my gym this afternoon.  Masks are still required -- this is the progressive Pacific Northwest, after all.  I have no problem with the requirement.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

PS  - Now there is no excuse for cruise lines visiting the US to not require vaccinations.

And also remember that these vaccines are, in part, due to Trump and his Operation Warp Speed.  And though there is a lot of hype coming out of Washington, the current administration had nothing to do with the speed of the vaccine rollout.  That was in the pipeline by 1/20/21.

So my response was removed as political, but this erroneous political statement is allowed to stand???

Seems like we have arbitrary deletions on CC...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

So my response was removed as political, but this erroneous political statement is allowed to stand???

Seems like we have arbitrary deletions on CC...

A few months ago, I took issue with a poster who wouldn’t give up on calling Covid the Chinese virus. We both got the axe. So maybe pirates do have privilege here....

So sad to see politics enter into the issue of vaccines and travel issues related to the virus.  The virus doesn't have a political party, nor does the science.  The origin of the virus has nothing to do with what we need to do to get rid of it .The virus can only survive if it has a host, willing or not. The way we prevent the spread of the virus and its survival is to use measures that prevent us from being infected from the virus and then spreading it to others. Vaccinations, masks, and social distancing are proven ways to stop the spread. And Vaccinations can greatly accelerate our progress in getting out of this problem, but only if we us other measures as well.  I had my vaccinations to protect me and to protect you, and I wear a mask and practice social distancing for the same reasons . I would hope that you would do the same for me, as well as for those you care about most.  I look forward to being on a cruise and have one scheduled for December that I hope will sail. But I am doing all I can through my behavior to help lower to infection rate and make it safe enough to travel. And will do what is required of me on the ship to maintain a safe environment for everyone.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Squawkman said:

A few months ago, I took issue with a poster who wouldn’t give up on calling Covid the Chinese virus. We both got the axe. So maybe pirates do have privilege here....

Just asking' but where did the virus originate?  And SARS, and Swine Flu, and.......  Again, just asking.   And another question no one seems to ask.  Why are these things just popping up?  I know it can sometimes happen in nature but this collection of viruses suddenly appearing and from one region has to qualify as an anomaly....

Edited by Jim Avery