CDC Ruining Cruising in the US

Bellaggio Cruisers

I must be the problem with the toxicity that people keep mentioning, because frankly I'm not seeing it. As always I think a lot of meaning is misinterpreted, while others see snark in every post, whether it's meant that way or not. 

Personally I wish we could not worry about deletion and have a real conversation on all the relevant topics. Unfortunately politics is relevant to our covid situation. 

I do find it funny that some that have complained the most about political vitriol are the ones I see constantly doing it. Go figure. 

Personally I see about one real problem poster, and a host of others that have differing views. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Like Petoonya, I hope that you do not give up on the idea of cruising on Oceania. You and I once knew each other well from sister website TripAdvisor as well as CC boards, and I really have enjoyed our Oceania onboard experiences, particularly on the two “O” ships, Marina and Riviera.

The only other cruise line we have sailed is Azamara, where on our most recent Azamara cruise we enjoyed a glorious itinerary-intensive all-Norway cruise (except for embarking and disembarking in always-delightful Amsterdam.) We shared several excellent private excursions with Host Jazzbeau and his lovely wife on that trip.

My view of this Oceania board is that it truly has deteriorated since the pandemic began in the USA, with a lot of useless political vitriol as people harp endlessly on topics which require clairvoyant powers. I find that looking at it once every month or so is more than enough.

[BTW, we took my bucket-list trip to the archaeological treasures of Egypt and Jordan in December 2019, traveling with a small group from my college alma mater. So fortunate in our timing!]

Hi Pam -- good to hear from you. Yours is one of the balanced voices I miss. 😉

Unfortunately, my take on this board stems back far before COVID and, for whoever mentioned her, clo is not a poster I have issues with. 

I do not frequent the other board that was mentioned as having "bullies", and I'm not sure that the O board has bullies either -- although one does seem to be missing of late. Rather, it is a sort of entitled-sounding group attitude of those whose stereotypes and thinly veiled discrimination sit badly with me. If it is not representative of O in general then all I can say is that it is too bad others (such as yourself) do not contribute more often.

Oceania, as all cruise lines, must have a fair number of "bureaucrats" that like to sail with her. I wonder what they (and O management for that matter) make of the fact that the host given the job of moderating this forum feels free to express the opinion that they are all petty-minded power-grabbing folk. Just one of a number of stereotypes I see here too frequently for comfort.

I'm sure Host Jazzbeau and his wife are lovely people -- but shouldn't a moderator, even when explicitly allowed by CC to express an opinion, still exercise a certain amount of discretion and tact?

Perhaps I am more sensitive to these things than some -- but given that I travel alone, I like to feel that I will be with a congenial, welcoming group when onboard a ship. I am not under any illusion that O will miss my cruise dollars, but I have indeed canceled two separate bookings, a few years apart, on this line due to my concerns. I do not have the same concern on the Azamara board, where there is much more of the kind of discussion related to love of travel that mean much to me.

It's tough, because I love the small ships so much, and there aren't too many of them. 

• Like 8

A couple of years ago, on the Nautica, they had a British comedian on board for the evening show. About 80% of us we’re almost rolling on the floor the entire show. Our ribs hurt from laughing so hard for so long. About 10% got up and made a scene being offended while walking out;  with another 10% sitting there looking frumpy the entire time.

Thus is life. Someone is always looking to be offended. As my mama would say “ If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen “. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Jazz Beau is NOT the moderator of this forum. Since he introduced himself quite some time ago I don't think he's been active here. Maybe Mitchell, but that might not be right. 

Pinot, I took my Grandson on a Disney cruise out of San Diego. Just Grandma and Grandpa and our 9 year old. Another couple (Grandparents) took their 2 granddaughters, also. We saw them all during the cruise and we all new we were lucky to be able to do this for our Grandchildren.

While standing in line one day, we happened to be next to one another. They were from CA and just having idle chit chat. She started to discuss our President and after listening to her, all I said was that I voted for him. She got up and walked away. Angry Grandmas are even on Disney. I could not believe it!

I am really beginning to wonder what a cruise on O would be like. I hope Mr. Del Rio is reading these Boards no matter what his political leanings are. It has become toxic.

2 minutes ago, ORV said:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Jazz Beau is NOT the moderator of this forum. Since he introduced himself quite some time ago I don't think he's been active here. Maybe Mitchell, but that might not be right. 

Yes, I believe you are correct and I think Jazz has been contemplating taking another O cruise and why he is here.

Also, ORV we lean differently, but you are always a gentleman around here. Thank you.

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, I believe you are correct and I think Jazz has been contemplating taking another O cruise and why he is here.

Also, ORV we lean differently, but you are always a gentleman around here. Thank you.

I appreciate you saying that. I struggle with being nice. Heavens knows how many sentences in posts I've deleted after typing them. I think that's what the moderators ask us to do, think twice before posting. Still yet I'm sure there's many things I say that some will not agree with, or like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "ignore" feature is  a wonderful tool here

The boards  not just Oceania  all have "bullies"  or very opinionated posters   but more so  in the past several months

I am guilty of expressing my opinions  badly some days   but please  just put me on ignore  ..I will not mind 😷

Sometimes people post  & without seeing their facial expressions you are not sure if they are serious or not 🤔

After getting beat up on another forum we still did the cruise  it was not as friendly onboard as the O cruisers  

Just saying

You need to try the cruise line then judge for yourself

YMMV

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

There are posters that I love to read for their thoughtful, friendly, educational comments.

We differ politically but I always enjoy your wit and point of view.

And agree with Lynn, the ignore feature makes participating on this board very pleasant.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

There are posters that I love to read for their thoughtful, friendly, educational comments.

We differ politically but I always enjoy your wit and point of view.

And agree with Lynn, the ignore feature makes participating on this board very pleasant.

Thanks. I think many of us get to know each other on these boards. I admire you sharing your personal struggles with us regarding your husband's dementia. 

Just this past weekend, I found out my 85 yr old Father passed away Jan 21st. My sister found it on Google. Apparently, wife #6 and 20 years younger forgot to tell our large family. Anyway, it is Monday and I  have to deal with this crap. He died almost 3 months ago. Yikes!

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Pinot, I took my Grandson on a Disney cruise out of San Diego. Just Grandma and Grandpa and our 9 year old. Another couple (Grandparents) took their 2 granddaughters, also. We saw them all during the cruise and we all new we were lucky to be able to do this for our Grandchildren.

While standing in line one day, we happened to be next to one another. They were from CA and just having idle chit chat. She started to discuss our President and after listening to her, all I said was that I voted for him. She got up and walked away. Angry Grandmas are even on Disney. I could not believe it!

I am really beginning to wonder what a cruise on O would be like. I hope Mr. Del Rio is reading these Boards no matter what his political leanings are. It has become toxic.

Fear not. O is a GREAT line and you will have a good time. My personal take is that the posters on this forum are TRAVELERS - and we haven't been able to travel. Hence built up angst, frustration, etc. I admit to being guilty of that also. We came to O after over 30 cruises on other lines. Other than a Celebrity cruise (hopefully) this October with friends, I doubt we will ever sail anyone else than O or Regent.

The average passenger list on an O cruise is quite diverse and we have never had any issues no matter ones political take. Some think our way, some do not. So be it. I'm there for the ports, the food, and Martini's at 5 PM 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Just this past weekend, I found out my 85 yr old Father passed away Jan 21st. My sister found it on Google. Apparently, wife #6 and 20 years younger forgot to tell our large family. Anyway, it is Monday and I  have to deal with this crap. He died almost 3 months ago. Yikes!

I am SO sorry. What an awful way to discover your father has passed. Wishing you strength as you wade through all of this. Take good care of yourself.

35 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I am SO sorry. What an awful way to discover your father has passed. Wishing you strength as you wade through all of this. Take good care of yourself.

thanks. Dad was a character. He loved women, travel, fine wine and gourmet food. xo

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

thanks. Dad was a character. He loved women, travel, fine wine and gourmet food. xo

So sad.  I wish you all the best in getting thru this.  Just takes time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Fear not. O is a GREAT line and you will have a good time. My personal take is that the posters on this forum are TRAVELERS - and we haven't been able to travel. Hence built up angst, frustration, etc. I admit to being guilty of that also. We came to O after over 30 cruises on other lines. Other than a Celebrity cruise (hopefully) this October with friends, I doubt we will ever sail anyone else than O or Regent.

The average passenger list on an O cruise is quite diverse and we have never had any issues no matter ones political take. Some think our way, some do not. So be it. I'm there for the ports, the food, and Martini's at 5 PM 😄

Thanks. I have already been on O and have over 60 days with them. 

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

for whoever mentioned her, clo is not a poster I have issues with. 

And I appreciate that comment. There are a couple of other lines' boards that I check in on and I tell ya they're quite a bit more congenial.

5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Thanks. I think many of us get to know each other on these boards. I admire you sharing your personal struggles with us regarding your husband's dementia. 

What terrible news and an even worse way to find out. Please accept my sincere condolences.

• Thanks 1

There is good news from England about cruising:

https://www.cruisehive.com/uk-releases-framework-for-resuming-international-cruises/49543?fbclid=IwAR3dgkqKPhouaW0gsto51EAXi07fiEhAhxkGjuN4s3h7qQtzD-Io7Ua2zlw

This report is good news all around for traveling, but the best part (IMHO) is that they are treating cruising the same as other forms of travel.  "The Department of Transport has been engaging with all the travel industry sectors, including Carnival, MSC, Viking Cruises, Ports, and Cruise Lines International Association in coming up with the new guidelines."  "A new 20-page report by the UK’s Global Travel Taskforce sets out a new framework for reopening international travel, including cruises no earlier than May 17."  "It’s looking like the UK cruise industry could be among the first to fully reopen by the summer."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

There is good news from England about cruising:

https://www.cruisehive.com/uk-releases-framework-for-resuming-international-cruises/49543?fbclid=IwAR3dgkqKPhouaW0gsto51EAXi07fiEhAhxkGjuN4s3h7qQtzD-Io7Ua2zlw

This report is good news all around for traveling, but the best part (IMHO) is that they are treating cruising the same as other forms of travel.  "The Department of Transport has been engaging with all the travel industry sectors, including Carnival, MSC, Viking Cruises, Ports, and Cruise Lines International Association in coming up with the new guidelines."  "A new 20-page report by the UK’s Global Travel Taskforce sets out a new framework for reopening international travel, including cruises no earlier than May 17."  "It’s looking like the UK cruise industry could be among the first to fully reopen by the summer."

Thanks Jazzbeau.  Looks great and the article leads to the UK Report of the Global Travel Taskforce https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/977446/Report-of-the-Global-Travel-Taskforce-accessible.pdf which gives the detail.

This answers one of my ongoing queries about cruising again - sounds like tours will be very tightly controlled and so ship's tours will be pre-eminent.

"40. Cruise operators will operate in accordance with UK Chamber of Shipping’s COVID-19 Framework for Cruise. They will be verified by a qualified, independent third party to ensure their COVID-19 Management Plans meet the standards in the framework documents. In addition, prior to industry recommencing passenger operations, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) will complete a full Expanded Inspection of cruise ships operating from domestic ports, regardless of previous inspection history. Cruise operators will be required to work closely with Port Operators, Port Health Authorities and wider health protection boards within local authorities to agree arrangements for the embarkation and disembarkation of passengers. Operators will align with the rules of the domestic roadmap, including capacity limits. Port calls with embarkation and disembarkation will be managed through controlled tour excursions, supporting passengers to remain in ‘bubbles’ to minimise risk to communities."  (my emphasis)