CDC Ruining Cruising in the US

Bellaggio Cruisers

23 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Haven't got your vaccination yet, have you? Once you do, your tune may change. CDC has been reactive from the get go on this. The current rule was put in place a year ago. Things are rapidly becoming much different now as the vaccines roll out.

We have our vaccinations (Jan 27 for 2nd Pfizer), thank you for your concern.  The "current rule" is the Conditional Sail Order dated 30 October 2020 to which the cruise lines have not responded.  SIX Months ago.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

We have our vaccinations (Jan 27 for 2nd Pfizer), thank you for your concern.  The "current rule" is the Conditional Sail Order dated 30 October 2020 to which the cruise lines have not responded.  SIX Months ago.

NCL and RCL supplied the CDC with a health compliance plan, drawn by 12  health experts several months ago, before the vaccine has been widely used. No response to that or the new vaccine circumstances. 
lF you choose not to cruise... don’t... but stop interfering with those of us who want to sail ASAP. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Lies.  Obfuscations.  Untruths.

Just a few observations.  The Conditional Sail Order was issued 6 (SIX) months ago and cruise lines have yet to provide their protocols on resuming cruising for US ports.  If they really wanted to restart cruising, responding should have been a first priority.  This gives the appearance of "flipping off the American government" by non-US based businesses.  

Cruise lines are reporting an uptick in infections on board isolated ships.  If they can't control the environment on their ships while in isolation how can they even consider if being safe to embark passengers.

This is just another "woe is me" posting - nothing more or less.

"CDC... wakeup and start serving the public you are supposed to be protecting!"   Just what do you think they are doing?  Giving the green light to cruise from US ports when it is not safe is NOT protecting the public..

A big plus 1.

40 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The "current rule" is the Conditional Sail Order dated 30 October 2020 to which the cruise lines have not responded.  SIX Months ago.

Do you work at the CDC?

How do you know the cruise lines have not submitted  their plan?

This was posted months ago by Oceania

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health/

seem pretty comprehensive to me

• Like 5

It is really unbelievable to me that a mid-level, unelected bureaucrat can seemingly shut down an entire industry.

Get out there and live, people! If you can catch a cruise in another country, do it. If you've always wanted to go to Paris, now's the time.

Don't let the CDC tell you to stop your life. We've traveled during Covid - flew from Seattle to Boston last September and spent 3 weeks looking at pretty leaves. We ate out EVERY DAY, sometimes in crowded places indoors.

We didn't get so much as a sniffle.

Live your life now. Assess the risk, take precautions, but live.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, halfapair said:

It is really unbelievable to me that a mid-level, unelected bureaucrat can seemingly shut down an entire industry.

Get out there and live, people! If you can catch a cruise in another country, do it. If you've always wanted to go to Paris, now's the time.

Don't let the CDC tell you to stop your life. We've traveled during Covid - flew from Seattle to Boston last September and spent 3 weeks looking at pretty leaves. We ate out EVERY DAY, sometimes in crowded places indoors.

These are decisions that you can only make for yourself. People will do what they feel comfortable doing and each one's decision is as valid as the other's.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

lF you choose not to cruise... don’t... but stop interfering with those of us who want to sail ASAP. 

How are any of us "interfering"?

I personally like the CDC erroring on the side of caution.

halfapair - I guess you can see how your philosophy works with the families of the 540,000 Americans that are now deceased. Most of Europe is closed down (France, Italy, etc..) - including Paris.  We love Europe, but they are not anywhere near we are in the vaccination process. With 40+ cruises under our belts  -- we are taking a wait and see attitude until the dust settles - which may be 2022 -so be it..

We see the cases rising again here in the U.S. due to  bad decisions made by our Government Leaders and irresponsible people who the Leaders said they "know what the right decisions that need to be made" --LOL 😁 

We just got our and Pfizer vaccines - both doses. Everyone should let things settle down for a while; see how those first trips go for example on Celebrity and RCCL - then we can all make a better decision.

Happy Sailing to ALL -- Stay Safe..🛳️🍸🍾

Edited by neilrr
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, halfapair said:

Did you wear masks and social distance? We traveled a good bit and did. But we haven't flown intl or cruised and won't anytime soon. I honestly get annoyed when anyone makes it black or white. It's not.

4 minutes ago, neilrr said:

We see the cases rising again here in the U.S. due to  bad decisions made by or Government Leaders and irresponsible people who the Leaders said they "know what the right decisions that need to be made" --LOL 😁 

Yep. Here's quoting the new CDC director.

https://www.aol.com/news/cdc-director-speaks-impending-doom-153120133-155036670.html

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

The Conditional Sail Order was issued 6 (SIX) months ago and cruise lines have yet to provide their protocols on resuming cruising for US ports.  If they really wanted to restart cruising, responding should have been a first priority. 

Cruise lines are reporting an uptick in infections on board isolated ships.  If they can't control the environment on their ships while in isolation how can they even consider if being safe to embark passengers.

I would be interested in viewing the source material for both of your statements.  The Cruise Lines are awaiting technical guidance documents from the CDC which would explain what is needed.  So far, CDC hasn't done that.  I think you may have it backward, the CDC needs to inform the cruise industry as to its expectations before the cruise lines can meet their expectations.  Please let us know where you got the information that it is the cruise lines holding up things.

I'm interested in viewing the numbers on crew infection rates.  I was not aware this was occurring.  Can you let us know where to find that information?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Thank you....😊  We live in S. FL and we were watching what was going on in Miami (we are 65 miles north) and all the other spring break towns. Most of these people are going to bring Covid home asymptomatically.

Believe me, I am known as "Party Boy":classic_biggrin: on the cruise lines, but when it comes to something as serious as this, it is not worth losing your life over. We are just waiting  as we had one cruise to the Caribbean scheduled a week after everything shut down last year and another for last summer to Iceland. All were cancelled. We are hoping for some clarity by the fall to possibly look at making reservations for late fall or spring 2022. 

Take care and stay safe...😎

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, halfapair said:

Are you booked for  Paris?

People can make their own decisions based on their  risk tolerance

JMO

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I would be interested in viewing the source material for both of your statements.  The Cruise Lines are awaiting technical guidance documents from the CDC which would explain what is needed.  So far, CDC hasn't done that.  I think you may have it backward, the CDC needs to inform the cruise industry as to its expectations before the cruise lines can meet their expectations.  Please let us know where you got the information that it is the cruise lines holding up things.

I'm interested in viewing the numbers on crew infection rates.  I was not aware this was occurring.  Can you let us know where to find that information?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel A - Not surprised about the crew.  As you know, they live and work in very tight quarters. Not only does there need to be a plan for the passengers, but for the crew too and most importantly everyone boarding the ship needs to be vaccinated. 

I was also thinking about the "vaccination passport" being discussed  They can just create a section on the current passports for a seal of some sort that the vaccination has been completed and verified. Unfortunately, this paper card can be duplicated -- but they do have it recorded officially on-line for those people completing the shots and cross referencing it to stamp the passport. We already have the TSA Pre-Check and the Int'l portion as well; they could hook it up with that.  Just an idea...

Take care...🛳️   

Edited by neilrr
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Daniel A - Not surprised about the crew.  As you know, they live and work in very tight quarters. Not only does there need to be a plan for the passengers, but for the crew too and most importantly everyone boarding the ship needs to be vaccinated. 

I was also thinking about the "vaccination passport" being discussed  They can just create a section on the current passports for a seal of some sort that the vaccination has been completed and verified. Unfortunately, this paper card can be duplicated -- but they do have it recorded officially on-line for those people completing the shots and cross referencing it to stamp the passport. We already have the TSA Pre-Check and the Int'l portion as well; they could hook it up with that.  Just an idea...

Take care...🛳️   

My thought was an official qr code sticker you would place on one of the pages of your passport.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My thought was an official qr code sticker you would place on one of the pages of your passport.

Excellent thought... They are also putting an App on peoples phones in some of the Asian countries using the Green/Yellow/Red light methodology.  I am not exactly sure of how it works.  I am sure some people here would find it to invasive to their privacy.  At least we are thinking out of the box...😁

Edited by neilrr
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

....lF you choose not to cruise... don’t... but stop interfering with those of us who want to sail ASAP. 

It's the CDC 'interfering' with your desire to cruise, no one else! 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

NCL and RCL supplied the CDC with a health compliance plan, drawn by 12  health experts several months ago, before the vaccine has been widely used. No response to that or the new vaccine circumstances. 

First trans-Atlantic was in 1949.  Have sailed the original Queens, the original Holland-America Lines, the SS United States and America, etc, in addition to serving for 30 years in the US Navy.  Have cruised around the world and visited all 7 continents.  I understand and know "cruising."  

You need to adhere to your own advice:  stop interfering with those of us who want to sail.  Being at sea is in my blood.  Love it. Don;t do it for the partying, the games...  I do it because the sea in enticing.   It is not going to be ASAP over the cost of additional deaths from this historic virus. If you really want to sail then lobby the cruise lines to make it safe, to respond to the conditional Sail Order, and to stop playing fast and loose with human lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

Clo, If the new director was sincere about the masks and her tears for impending doom, she would have said " Mr. President Biden...shut down that Southern Border".  You cannot have it both ways. 10% Covid infection rate coming over the Border. Are you going to argue this one?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

10% Covid infection rate coming over the Border.

I did a quick search and couldn't find any reference to this. Can you provide a link please? 

18 minutes ago, clo said:

I did a quick search and couldn't find any reference to this. Can you provide a link please? 

Axios had it and read it in many other places. What percentage of Covid positive is OK with you coming over our Border?

• But the positivity rate has been higher — about 10% — at the Carrizo Springs shelter in Texas, opened last month as the first overflow shelter to be used by the Biden administration.
Edited by TrulyBlonde
  • Like 1