Bermuda

tonyd285

We're booked on a cruise to Bermuda, via Newport, RI, the end of June on the Summit.  Reading about Celebrity's start-up in June and no mention of Port Liberty sailings, or Bermuda, I am concerned that our cruise, along with the others to Bermuda may be cancelled.  Anyone have insight as to what may be happening?

On 3/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, tonyd285 said:

We're booked on a cruise to Bermuda, via Newport, RI, the end of June on the Summit.  Reading about Celebrity's start-up in June and no mention of Port Liberty sailings, or Bermuda, I am concerned that our cruise, along with the others to Bermuda may be cancelled.  Anyone have insight as to what may be happening?

Sorry. I don't think there's any realistic chance it will sail.

- Joel

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe a cruise FROM Bermuda, but not one from Port Liberty to Bermuda [or to anywhere].  Have you considered the cruises from St. Maarten, which are much more likely to happen?

Royal recently announced that Vision of the Seas will be home ported in Bermuda and doing cruises from there this Summer. I was hoping for an announcement from X that they would do the same for the Summit. We are also booked to Bermuda in July, but unless X is proactive and changes her home port too, it's obvious those sailings will be canceled.

You should also keep an eye on the Covid situation in Bermuda. They are now experiencing another

wave and are implementing a return to restrictions on store hours/closures (www.royalgazette.com).

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I can’t imagine a wave, or uptick, or whatever they want to call it, that will last from March until July.  

Our latest ‘uptick’ or surge went from late Oct ‘20 to mid Feb ‘21which is ~4months so March until July is the same.....but with all the vaccinations going we may be OK, but a surge certainly could go until July because one did. And since we are starting to see the end, many think it’s time to just drop all the precautions. 

And the point isn’t we can start cruising in July if we don’t experience a major increase, the point is to get the rates down further and the pandemic to end. COVID will (may?) still be around, just not at the pandemic rates, whatever that is. 

Den

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

As you pointed out, that surge, for the most part, was pre-vaccine.

Agree completely. We are vaccinated and starting to do things that we haven’t for a year. We have had a few couples over including a wine tasting in the backyard; in April, flying to join our daughter for a week; took in a play that had separated seating. And I’m sure you are very interested in what I’m doing but so you understand I’m not hiding in my closet.....anymore!

But I won’t get onboard an ‘enclosed building’ with a thousand people that came from all over traveling to a port and then go into various cities/islands and come back onboard. Not until the Pandemic is more under control and legitimate medical organizations say its safe, not 100% but safe to try..... and not some some lobbying organization or company that hopes to do the right thing but whose focus is on business. I’m sure Celebrity will work very hard to be safe because failure would ruin them, but I’ll wait a bit more.

Nothing wrong with booking a cruise that is before the CDC Nov 2021 timeframe but that’s because there are options that include not going, but just not yet......for me. 

Den

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would just take a flight to Bermuda unless you really enjoy the sea days.

That’s the trouble, I really enjoy Sea days! And having a SR and dining options inport at a very expensive location such as Bermuda. But you are right, that is an option. 

Den

26 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

That’s the trouble, I really enjoy Sea days! And having a SR and dining options inport at a very expensive location such as Bermuda. But you are right, that is an option. 

Den

I never could understand why it took 2 sea days to get there and 3 sea days back.  🙂  

I suppose that it could be considered second to transatlatantics for sea days.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I never could understand why it took 2 sea days to get there and 3 sea days back.  🙂  

I suppose that it could be considered second to transatlatantics for sea days.

It’s downhill to Bermuda then uphill back.

Den

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I would just take a flight to Bermuda unless you really enjoy the sea days.

Those four sea days are all in the Bermuda Triangle. An area known for rough seas and storms. I also would just take a flight to Bermuda.

Edited by Charles4515

9 hours ago, bdabob said:

You should also keep an eye on the Covid situation in Bermuda. They are now experiencing another

wave and are implementing a return to restrictions on store hours/closures (www.royalgazette.com).

That is true. They have had a recent problem with people violating social distancing. On the other hand with a population of 67,000 about 30,000 have had their first dose. They have 30,000 doses arriving the first week of April. So by June the Covid situation in Bermuda should be much improved.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

It’s downhill to Bermuda then uphill back.

Den

Somebody else who reads maps the way I do!  DW doesn't get this.  Of course it takes more gas to get home from our Snowbird escape than to go down south!

But it's still better than when I was a kid, and had to walk uphill both ways to school. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1