Florida Will Sue...

solocruzin

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Our Governor DeWine has acted on the best and most recent scientific advice that he could receive to issue public health orders to best protect Ohioans.  That goal has been achieved, so far.  But, he has been vilified by a majority of his own political party.  Articles of Impeachment have been introduced twice along with a Bill that restricts a Governor's power to issue public health orders that was passed, vetoed, and his veto overriden on March 24th.  His efforts are works of political courage.  He is doing what he knows what is "the correct thing to do".  If he chooses to seek a second term in 2022, we will learn whether clear headed, non-political considerations are more important to the people of Ohio than the ignorant and self-serving positions of some of the Neanderthals that sit in the Ohio House and Ohio Senate.  

This is happening in a lot of states, not just Ohio. The following article covers that including Ohio.

State Lawmakers Try to Curb Governors’ Coronavirus Powers (msn.com)

14 hours ago, Donald said:

De Santis is the governor who refused to allow cruise ships with COVID cases to dock in Florida. He was protecting the health of Floridians.

Then he cancelled the mask and distancing mandates to protect the civil rights of Floridians. 

Now Florida is experiencing one of the worst COVID situations in America.

I wish you had told all the people moving here and the snow birds from every state noth of our border this!!!   The beaches, campgrounds, highways etc. are filled with out of state plates.  The state parks are booked solid.  Even private campgrounds are full.  The building boom is on in our area.  There isn't a street without at least two new builds.   We had so many out of state seniors here lining up for the vaccine the state had to make being a resident a condition of getting the vaccine!   I just looked at our local hospitals covid info and the patient count is way down.   It seems to me that if things were as bad as you think they are people would not be flocking here!

• Like 3

They can sue but the US has declared the pandemic a state of emergency. So not much chance for any lawsuit. Also if you carefully read what the CDC has been saying they refer to the State of Emergency declared by HHS. HHS is under the WH. I doubt the CDC will change the no sail order while the State of Emergency is in effect.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Our Governor DeWine has acted on the best and most recent scientific advice that he could receive to issue public health orders to best protect Ohioans.  That goal has been achieved, so far.  But, he has been vilified by a majority of his own political party.  Articles of Impeachment have been introduced twice along with a Bill that restricts a Governor's power to issue public health orders that was passed, vetoed, and his veto overriden on March 24th.  His efforts are works of political courage.  He is doing what he knows what is "the correct thing to do".  If he chooses to seek a second term in 2022, we will learn whether clear headed, non-political considerations are more important to the people of Ohio than the ignorant and self-serving positions of some of the Neanderthals that sit in the Ohio House and Ohio Senate.  

There are two sides to every debate Some people believe there was overreaction for a virus that has killed .03% of the world's population, without even further dissecting that data.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/ohio-governor-mike-dewine-covid-19-press-conference-mask-mandate-march-4/95-175c4e4f-991e-4005-bc06-19b3ece3b64b

Dewine has also recently lifted the curfew, removed stay at home orders, and opened restaurants and bars. He has stated his criteria for lifting ALL mandates. Apparently the "science" is saying that the risk is dwindling. With all of this said, it becomes even more unreasonable to deny cruising a path to return.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

There are two sides to every debate Some people believe there was overreaction for a virus that has killed .03% of the world's population, without even further dissecting that data.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/ohio-governor-mike-dewine-covid-19-press-conference-mask-mandate-march-4/95-175c4e4f-991e-4005-bc06-19b3ece3b64b

Dewine has also recently lifted the curfew, removed stay at home orders, and opened restaurants and bars. He has stated his criteria for lifting ALL mandates. Apparently the "science" is saying that the risk is dwindling. With all of this said, it becomes even more unreasonable to deny cruising a path to return.

Another "its all a hoax."  Explain that to the families of the 550,000 Americans who have died from this virus and to the hundreds of thousands who are long-term sufferers.  Good to know you don't care and humanity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Another "its all a hoax."  Explain that to the families of the 550,000 Americans who have died from this virus and to the hundreds of thousands who are long-term sufferers.  Good to know you don't care and humanity.

Also explain it to the families of the several hundred thousand Americans who did not have to die.

DON

• Like 6

Wow.  No one has brought up that Key West voted to limit the number of cruise visitors/day to something like 1,500 and the size of the ship to only 1,500 passengers.  Now, the cruise lines are putting heavy pressure on the FL legislature to rush through a measure that says a town/port cannot dictate the size of ship/number of visitors.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hflors said:

I wish you had told all the people moving here and the snow birds from every state noth of our border this!!!   The beaches, campgrounds, highways etc. are filled with out of state plates.  The state parks are booked solid.  Even private campgrounds are full.  The building boom is on in our area.  There isn't a street without at least two new builds.   We had so many out of state seniors here lining up for the vaccine the state had to make being a resident a condition of getting the vaccine!   I just looked at our local hospitals covid info and the patient count is way down.   It seems to me that if things were as bad as you think they are people would not be flocking here!

There are almost as many people moving out of Florida as there are moving in - whether it's the heat, the flooding, the red tide, the blue green toxic algae or the seaweed wrack on our beaches, lots of folk get disenchanted with "paradise".

We moved here to SWFL 36 months ago, and weren't able to use the beaches or go fishing in 24 of those months due to toxins in the water.

As far as COVID #s, Florida is around #12 in number of cases with over 2 million of the national total of 30 million.  Our death rate has gone down and our immunization rate has gone up recently, so some good news.  But paradise?  Far from it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, evandbob said:

There are almost as many people moving out of Florida as there are moving in

Interesting, maybe it's a situation local to you?  The trend seems to be still pointing up!

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/more-people-are-migrating-from-new-york-to-florida-220730

“New York’s loss is Florida’s gain,” Redfin economist Taylor Marr said in the report. “When the pandemic hit the U.S. in March, remote workers started leaving New York City and its ultra-expensive housing in search of wide-open spaces, sunshine and affordable homes—all of which you can find in Florida, with the bonus of no state income tax.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsteele/2020/10/12/is-florida-the-likeliest-to-rebound-first-from-covid/?sh=64b5fd7b303d

New Yorkers have long made Florida a top destination for vacations, but now they're looking to make a permanent move. One report found Miami the top destination for New Yorkers looking to move out of state, with Tampa and Orlando also highly ranked. When remote work means there's no longer any reason to live in a high-priced, cold-weather big city, the appeal of sprawling yards, proximity to beaches and warm sunshine is undeniable.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/covid-19-slows-migration-to-florida/67-cd168c3a-0ff0-4f61-b6a6-9eb244ad9fed

While that is great for Florida, officials expect that to drop this next year because of the coronavirus pandemic. The state expects an increase of just 1.38 percent this year, compared to 1.93 percent last year. 

Over the next five years, the state expects to add an average of 303,264 per year. That equals 831 new residents every day.

We moved here to SWFL 36 months ago

Did you come from New York?  If not, where did you move from?  Another part of the North East?  Also, are you overall happy with your move after 3 years?

We ... weren't able to use the beaches or go fishing in 24 of those months due to toxins in the water

I would recommend that you not move to Imperial Beach California if you get tired of Florida.  That beach gets closed a lot too from raw sewage being dumped into the ocean.

Edited by SelectSys

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Dewine has also recently lifted the curfew, removed stay at home orders, and opened restaurants and bars. He has stated his criteria for lifting ALL mandates. Apparently the "science" is saying that the risk is dwindling.

Except the number of new infections are now increasing.

And, sir, why were some of the Governor's public health orders modified?  In the best public interest?  Or, to try to squash the "uprising" within his own political party within the General Assembly?  If that was his thought, it surely failed.  

• Like 4

Do the cruise lines want to start cruising from the US at this point?  The cruise lines would probably want proof of vaccination, right?  Don't you think that the cruise lines that restarted, only to have cases develop onboard, regretted their decision.  They all made the decision to shut themselves down, didn't they?  I don't think the cruise lines could handle any more bad press.

Edited by jtwind

1 hour ago, jtwind said:

The article also mentions that people are flying to the Bahamas to board cruise ships.  Where can I find info on these cruises?

I guess you need to catch up on the news.  RCI is going to start cruises from Nassau in June and Celebrity will do the same from St Maarten.  But that is over 2 months in the future.   If you want to book those cruises contact the cruise lines or you cruise/travel agent.  Just keep in mind if you are over 18 you will need to be vaccinated and also submit to COVID testing.

Hank

• Like 3

12 hours ago, evandbob said:

There are almost as many people moving out of Florida as there are moving in

11 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Interesting, maybe it's a situation local to you?  The trend seems to be still pointing up!

The net change in population in Florida is negative right now according to the state's own Demographic Estimating Conference.

The Wall Street Journal (https://www.wsj.com/articles/people-moving-to-florida-during-covid-11615463911😞

• Florida, it turns out, isn’t for everyone. But you would never know it from the PR coming out of the state.
  • each year nearly as many people move out of Florida as move in. They are fleeing hurricanes, heat and escalating home prices. While Covid-19 has prompted some out-of-staters to buy homes in Florida, the state’s population growth has slowed in the pandemic to its lowest rate since 2014, according to the state’s November 2020 Demographic Estimating Conference.

Details are in the Conference Results Report (http://edr.state.fl.us/Content/conferences/population/ConferenceResults.pdf).  Take a look at the chart from on 14.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I read the same article in the Wall Street Journal. I love the ocean and I think parts of Florida are absolutely beautiful but I could not deal with the humidity. 

We live in Florida after a series of officially required (government orders) residence changes.  Not here y choice.  That said, one copes with the heat and humidity as most Floridians do: go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned shop or office and back to your air conditioned house.  Its like being in quarantine...:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

In SWFL, 24 months of red tide over 2 different surges in the last 3 years screwed up fishing and many unaware beachgoers.

In addition to the WSJ article already cited, one can find similar:

https://georgiacoasthomes.com/real-estate-blog/why-are-people-leaving-florida/

https://www.promoversmiami.com/top-reasons-for-leaving-florida/

https://www.winknews.com/2021/03/12/those-frustrated-by-heat-and-traffic-in-florida-are-leaving-but-many-are-still-moving-here/

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Florida, it turns out, isn’t for everyone. But you would never know it from the PR coming out of the state.

This is true for me.  I prefer a drier, less humid climate.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

Take a look at the chart from on 14.

That still shows growth of more than 1.5%  which is pretty good during a pandemic.  You may be correct about the long term but I wouldn't put too much faith in the out year projections given all the current upheavals.  Long term forecasting like that is really difficult to do with any meaningful precision.   

We live in Florida after a series of officially required (government orders) residence changes.  Not here y choice.

You aren't in Florida by choice?  It seems that once you retired from the government you could move anywhere you want to be.

Its like being in quarantine

You can always break out!

One more link as to general movement between states related to the pandemic:

https://www.bankrate.com/real-estate/states-growing-most-during-pandemic/

“Texas and Florida and a few other states have been really the big gainers in terms of net population growth,” says Frank Nothaft, chief economist at real estate data firm CoreLogic.

Arizona and North Carolina also attracted new residents. The biggest losers were New York, Illinois and California.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I love the ocean and I think parts of Florida are absolutely beautiful but I could not deal with the humidity. 

While we live on the beach in south Florida, we go to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in the summer for that reason and to see our grandchildren who live in the Washington, D.C. suburbs.

Edited by capriccio

I believe that most people will resume cruising when they feel it is safe to do so.

Not when the cruise lines say it is, not when the outcome of some lawsuit says cruising can start, and most definitely not when a politician says it is safe.

Does anyone really believe that the cruise lines or the politicians place the publics health, safety, and well being above all else??? 

Seems to me their respective focus is on revenue/profit and getting elected or re-elected.   We can only judge them by their past performance and track record.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iancal said:

I believe that most people will resume cruising when they feel it is safe to do so.

Spot on post!  I actually think many people, especially those vaccinated are ready to go in the US. 

Vaccine eligibility for my general age group - 50-64 begins in California on the April 1st (hope it's not a joke!) for 14 days before it is open to all on April 15th. 

My attitude may change once I get the vaccine.  I think I might be willing to "risk it" even with the restrictions of masks (never a problem for me) and limited shore excursions for somewhere like the Caribbean.   

Time will tell.

Edited by SelectSys

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

My attitude may change once I get the vaccine.  I think I might be willing to "risk it" even with the restrictions of masks (never a problem for me) and limited shore excursions for somewhere like the Caribbean.   

Time will tell.

We are going to be having a get-together with 4 other family members.   All of us have now had the vaccine.   After a year of isolation it feels very strange.  I have to admit there is still a  large amount of cautious thinking, at least for us.   Even with the vaccine we are not ready to dive in the deep end.  Going to be a slower process for us.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We are going to be having a get-together with 4 other family members.   All of us have now had the vaccine.   After a year of isolation it feels very strange.  I have to admit there is still a  large amount of cautious thinking, at least for us.   Even with the vaccine we are not ready to dive in the deep end.  Going to be a slower process for us.  

We are the same.  Just the two of us for the past year or so.  Occasional visits from daughter and family.

We have had the first Pfizer shot.  We are still locked down to a large extent.  Primarily because people in our area have not been following the guidelines.   Vaccinations are proceeding however the covid numbers, and even more concerning the covid variants as a percentage of positives, are nowhere they should be or need to be.  

We are watching the covid numbers weekly on those places we hope to travel to in the fall and hopefully for next years snowbird trip.  Fall numbers do not look good at this point.   Next winter numbers are much better assuming our destination country will be open to tourists by that time.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1