Show your support for the return of cruising in US

Margarita Jane

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As this is an international board, with rules that say no politics, it is a problem for those of us would like to see totally non-partisan discussions on all topics, including that of the CDC, the CLIA and their respective responsibilities under the framework document.

Bit of history here.  Although Cruise Critic now has a '.co.uk' branch, it originated as a Chat Room on AOL.  That is America On-Line.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

TB, I am glad that you responded!  We have had a few "testy" exchanges recently 🥴 mea culpa on that, and apologies as well!!!  For the record, and to add a bit of humor, I've nothing against blondes, my comments here on CC re Dolly Parton, you have seen, she is and will always be my national treasure, though she is definitely not blonde, just ask her.  If you have a few minutes free time, YouTube her song, which she wrote, "Dumb Blonde", very tongue in cheek, I think you will appreciate it.  I will close with one of her famous lines:  "Well I know I'm not blonde and I know I'm not dumb, but by the time the business men realize that, I am out of the room and I got the deal and the cash"

Nice to see we have something in common. I am clearly conservative and you a liberal. However, we both value life and I did my best no to let the virus get me. I live in a ski resort and our numbers are the highest in CO per capita. Scares the heck out me. Good luck with your vaccines and on to a more normal life that we all greatly miss. 🙂

Since CLIA is the nonpartisan Cruise Industry organization, this campaign is not political in the way that Cruise Critic interprets it.  [IMHO, speaking as a Cruise Critic member only.]

And, putting my money where my mouth is – I clicked and sent a supportive email.  DW and I have 7 cruises booked for the 12 months starting in September 2021.  NONE of them touch a US port – all that money going to foreign countries, because the US is closed while the rest of the world is opening up.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Right now, no cruises are operating.

So you have NO choice of going cruising.

We both clicked on to support CLIA to get cruising again.  One click  & it sent to both Senators & my US Rep, so both R & D contacted.

This is Democracy in action.  Not Politics.

Once they allow us to cruise soon.  Then you & only you, can make the democratic Choice to cruise or not to cruise.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

CLIA is very much a political organization with political objective just as any trade organization represents.  Courtesy of Wiki:

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is a cruise line trade association. It merged with International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) in 2006, forming an expanded organization incorporating the existing functions of both organizations. The merged organization, which uses the CLIA name, is located in Washington, D.C..

Established in 1975, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is the world's largest cruise industry trade association based on the number of passenger cruise ships operated by its members, however there is a significant proportion of the wider cruise industry which does not subscribe to CLIA's member body and which transports a considerable volume of passengers. There is no regulatory requirement for cruise operators to subscribe to the trade body, each year a significant number of cruise passengers are transported on a growing number of non-member vessels. The trade body has no representation across the entirety of Africa, for example.

The trade body's marketing and education activities may be considered activities more closely related to influence or lobbying, however the organization holds no powers to set or enforce laws or regulations.

evening 

we both have our vaccine and strongly support moving forward with cruising starting up again.  i can jump on a packed aircraft without issue, so why cant we go cruising with safety measures 

time to move forward with small steps in the USA like other start up counties with cruising 

so happy to email .....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Done.. my reps in NY are of diff  parties...same in Fla. They are the ones who can make things happen  in the U S. They represent the citizens directly.  Bi partisan efforts can  succeed in our democracy!

IMO, politics and civic action  related to cruising not the same!

Please do not cancel this thread or link info!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Bit of history here.  Although Cruise Critic now has a '.co.uk' branch, it originated as a Chat Room on AOL.  That is America On-Line.

I don't need a history lesson, thanks, I'm well aware of Cruise Critic's origins. But in case you've missed its development, Cruise Critic now has a very international membership; it's no longer just Americans on-line. 🙄

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since CLIA is the nonpartisan Cruise Industry organization, this campaign is not political in the way that Cruise Critic interprets it.  [IMHO, speaking as a Cruise Critic member only.]

And, putting my money where my mouth is – I clicked and sent a supportive email.  DW and I have 7 cruises booked for the 12 months starting in September 2021.  NONE of them touch a US port – all that money going to foreign countries, because the US is closed while the rest of the world is opening up.

Thank you.

CLIA represents the cruise lines to the CDC. Our opinions were asked for, we are free to give them.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't need a history lesson, thanks, I'm well aware of Cruise Critic's origins. But in case you've missed its development, Cruise Critic now has a very international membership; it's no longer just Americans on-line. 🙄

No one doubts the world wide reach of CC.

Everyone can express  support to their reps as well or decide not to do so.

But the link is a way US  folks can easily connect with their reps in DC, esp to get the ball rolling with US cruise ports.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

No one doubts the world wide reach of CC.

Everyone can express  support to their reps as well or decide not to do so.

But the link is a way US  folks can easily connect with their reps in DC, esp to get the ball rolling with US cruise ports.

Well said.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't think anybody missed it.  I also do not think anybody missed your response to a poll asking for response to contact your congressperson or senator, which you responded to.  You then said, gee I did not know OP changed it after I responded, he did not, you just back tracked.  You made a comment earlier here saying to someone, I paraphrase but something to the effect of "Hmmm waffling now are you, eh!"  Can't eat from both sides of the plate...   

51 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

CLIA is very much a political organization with political objective just as any trade organization represents.  Courtesy of Wiki:

Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is a cruise line trade association. It merged with International Council of Cruise Lines (ICCL) in 2006, forming an expanded organization incorporating the existing functions of both organizations. The merged organization, which uses the CLIA name, is located in Washington, D.C..

Established in 1975, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is the world's largest cruise industry trade association based on the number of passenger cruise ships operated by its members, however there is a significant proportion of the wider cruise industry which does not subscribe to CLIA's member body and which transports a considerable volume of passengers. There is no regulatory requirement for cruise operators to subscribe to the trade body, each year a significant number of cruise passengers are transported on a growing number of non-member vessels. The trade body has no representation across the entirety of Africa, for example.

The trade body's marketing and education activities may be considered activities more closely related to influence or lobbying, however the organization holds no powers to set or enforce laws or regulations.

Good for them. It's smart to pool together for the best interest of one's industry. Having said this, there is nothing in your posts that suggests they were developed for political purposes and have navigated toward a politcal presence. Even so it would be the right thing to do. The cruise industry has taken a beating and is trying to survive. 

Regardless of ones politcal affiliation, when looking strictly at the data, if one truly wishes the cruise industry to kick off again in US ports, one would complete the form and send to their elected officials. Today's numbers are substantially much much lowered than the peak of covid-19.  Ninety days from today, June 27th, over 200 million US citizens will have been vaxed up... we will be looking at a completely different world than this past Christmas, much less even today. 

Get vaxed up and let your voices to heard. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

At the time I voted on the CC poll, the link to the CLIA with it's request to write to " please take a moment to call, email, and/or Tweet your Senators and U.S. Representatives to let them know!" was not contained in the OP. That was added subsequent to my poll response. 

If that were true, it would show up in the edit history that Hosts can see.  There is no edit like that.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If that were true, it would show up in the edit history that Hosts can see.  There is no edit like that.

With all due respect, even if that were true, I think that you need to keep to a single role here. Either act as a host or as a welcome participant in the dialogue, but don’t mix the two in an attempt to undermine someone who doesn’t share your stated antipathy for the CDC.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

With all due respect, even if that were true, I think that you need to keep to a single role here. Either act as a host or as a welcome participant in the dialogue, but don’t mix the two in an attempt to undermine someone who doesn’t share your stated antipathy for the CDC.

Just trying to resolve a 'he said, he said' dispute – with the facts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

With all due respect... 

You are simply wrong. I did not add the link later.  My edit was grammar.  Since I am not a moderator I guess it is acceptable to have a discussion with you?

Based on the very limited responses of my non-scientific poll, your are in the minority of the opinions shared, but I respect you for having a different opinion hope you will allow the same for us that disagree with you.

Cheers!

Here is my post.  No editing.  Just copied and pasted.

The cruise industry would have a more powerful voice if they registered the ships in the USA and paid taxes here. With that being said, I feel terrible about all the lost jobs on ships. The voice that needs to support re-opening cruising is yours' and ports employees around the county and the associated travel industries that are suffering. At the end of the day, this has become a political issue. I can sit on an airplane for hours and still can not board a ship.  This is really hard for me understand.  Show me the science. 

Will you speak up?  Please see attached link and consider contacting your elected officials.

image.png.107d9f53e3a31b76ddb389b6df37f5af.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It sounds a little bit to me that would like a international board, and a America only board with that comment .

8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I am glad they posted the link!!  Thank you cruise critic!!

Fouremco- If you are not interested in this thread then stop reading and responding to everyone's comments. For goodness sake, you said your peace. Let us do the same.

Amy

Edited by H2OH!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Please people.... stop debating  "who said what when " or this thread will also be locked.  While it  may be personally important to the individuals involved in the point & counterpoint,  it is really not what most folks are interested in.

LET'S GET CRUISING AGAIN!   

My understanding is that  moderators are  selected  as "volunteers" ,  and have always posted their opinions as well as given very helpful info.. We appreciate them all but Andy ( no longer moderating here, I believe ) , Jazzbeau and Anne are long time favorites!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Right now, no cruises are operating.

So you have NO choice of going cruising.

We both clicked on to support CLIA to get cruising again.  One click  & it sent to both Senators & my US Rep, so both R & D contacted.

This is Democracy in action.  Not Politics.

Once they allow us to cruise soon.  Then you & only you, can make the democratic Choice to cruise or not to cruise.  

There are cruises operating...just not in USA ports.  We are booking at foreign ports for the next 2 years as we fear it may take that long before the CDC changes its stance.

I am opposed to US port being reopened to cruises at this time. The pandemic has not ended. If people get vaccinated it may be possible to restart later this year. I am writing the governor, Larry Hogan,  to keep the cruiseport of Baltimore CLOSED. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Fully agree.  Either you are a "host"or you are a impartial contributor.  Can't be both.