Transpacific Radiance or Ovation

We are planning a Transpacific in April 2023 and if we choose to go with Royal the ships would be either the Radiance or Ovation. Huge difference. On the one hand with 11 sea days the entertainment and activities on the Ovation makes it a contender. However, the most important part of the cruise for us is the ports in Tahiti. How would they handle the 4000+ visitors. The Radiance being a much smaller ship would have less of an impact on the ports. Thoughts anyone?

The Tender boats of Ovation are significantly larger together with the boarding deck infrastructue than the ones from Radiance, at the end the operation is maybe even more efficient on Ovation. Hence, if this factor worries you you can go for Ovation easily.

Thanks, it was not so much the tendering that bothers me but the number of visitors all looking for tours and activities. In the past we have just walked off and found a tour on the pier but maybe this time might have to plan more. 

5 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Thanks, it was not so much the tendering that bothers me but the number of visitors all looking for tours and activities. In the past we have just walked off and found a tour on the pier but maybe this time might have to plan more. 

I would highly recomend you to book in advance, even if it's a tour you will book yourself as with such a ship size most things will be fully booked before you get to port. There sure will be some things you can book and do spontanious but should you have something specific in mind I would book it a couple of months before cruising.

Definitely, I will be checking the ports of call forum for Tahiti to look for tour recommendations. We did an amazing boat trip in Bora Bora last time but it was organised by a roll call member and unfortunately I don’t have any contact details for the operator. Looks like a Google investigation is my best bet.  

I agree with a better port experience on the smaller ship.  And we love the Radiance class ships.  Definitely more bells and whistles on Ovation, but you can't beat the intimate feel on Radiance, and the smaller crowds too....both on ship and in port.

• Like 2

We just booked this week, first time for us in this part of the world.  We booked Radiance but then changed booking to Ovation for slightly longer cruise with two ports in New Zealand.

We also love Radiance class ships but thought Ovation might be better if seas were rough. Also think entertainment will be better on Ovation and haven't been on this class of ship before .

Lorraine 

4 hours ago, sandancer said:

We are planning a Transpacific in April 2023 and if we choose to go with Royal the ships would be either the Radiance or Ovation. Huge difference. On the one hand with 11 sea days the entertainment and activities on the Ovation makes it a contender. However, the most important part of the cruise for us is the ports in Tahiti. How would they handle the 4000+ visitors. The Radiance being a much smaller ship would have less of an impact on the ports. Thoughts anyone?

Have you look at HAL Noordam for March 2023 ? It looks interesting
never been on HAL but this trip looks very interesting 

9C994D40-54A8-4810-A81C-38F0CA664448.jpeg

Yes I have looked at the HAL cruise, it looks great. However, we want to visit Bora Bora and Moorea. Whichever ship we choose we hope to make into a b2b, hopefully ending up in Vancouver. We may even do a mix and match and change ships in Honolulu if it’s practical. We also looked at the Eclipse but with the all included it is way more expensive than either of the Royal ships. Happy to pay the tips and with the Diamond plus drinks it makes it a more attractive option. 

Since the Hawaii to Vancouver cruises aren’t out for May 2023, I would go with Radiance as it arrives two days earlier for a better choice of departures from Honolulu. We sailed at the end of February from Tahiti to Honolulu on princesses’ smallest ship, the Ocean princess (Azamara size) and I found only one day of rough seas. 

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Definitely, I will be checking the ports of call forum for Tahiti to look for tour recommendations. We did an amazing boat trip in Bora Bora last time but it was organised by a roll call member and unfortunately I don’t have any contact details for the operator. Looks like a Google investigation is my best bet.  

Was it Patrick’s tour in Bora Bora? Definitely the best one there. I have done it twice and next year on my visit will probably do something else, but it still remains one of my faves.

https://maohinuiborabora.com

• Like 3

I did not even hesitate once bookings were released for Australia 2023.   Radiance hands down for us.  Love that class of ship, smaller and more like the elegant style of years gone by.  

We are B2B2B2B starting with 3/17 Tasmania cruise, then the NZ cruise, then the South Pacific cruise.  Staying on for the TP to Hawaii.  

Guess who snagged #9256 for first three legs?  😉  

Moving up to Grand Suite for the TP with all those days at sea, plus being mid ship for less bounce.  

• Like 6

We booked Ovation for 4/2023, mainly because of the New Zealand stops plus a little longer. We did a TA on Brilliance in 2018 and have another booked for 2022. We wanted to do a longer cruise on Quantam class, and get to do Coastal Kitchen.

mac_tlc

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Was it Patrick’s tour in Bora Bora? Definitely the best one there. I have done it twice and next year on my visit will probably do something else, but it still remains one of my faves.

https://maohinuiborabora.com

I’m not sure. We have been on 3 different boat tours. The last one was the best. It was a family. The Captain, his wife and 2 beautiful daughter’s. We went to the stingrays and then to swim with the sharks. At one stop we all got into the water and the girls served fresh pineapple and cake. Then Dad played the ukulele and the girls danced in the water.  Does that sound like a Patrick tour?  

19 hours ago, sandancer said:

I’m not sure. We have been on 3 different boat tours. The last one was the best. It was a family. The Captain, his wife and 2 beautiful daughter’s. We went to the stingrays and then to swim with the sharks. At one stop we all got into the water and the girls served fresh pineapple and cake. Then Dad played the ukulele and the girls danced in the water.  Does that sound like a Patrick tour?  

The tours I went on included the stingrays, sharks, and snorkeling at a coral reef. It also included a Polynesian lunch on a motu. I think you would definitely remember Patrick. There are pictures of him if you google and videos on YouTube. The link I posted also has pics of him. I have done the 3/4 day tour.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, sandancer said:

However, we want to visit Bora Bora and Moorea. 

I wish to chime in with a alternate (and experienced) opinion....

I believe you may really disappointed to not have more time in Bora Bora and Moorea (most people are). The Leeward Islands & French Polynesia are heaven on earth... seriously, 10x better than anything you will see in the Caribbean, and one of the very few places on Earth I yearn to go back to for a 2nd/3rd/4th time.

I dare say, choosing a TP is not about the ports whatsoever... you're choosing a TP for the ship and all those sea days. I snicker at those who get angry about missing a port etc, when they have 10 sea days out of 12 on a TA/TP, claiming that "the ports" were "the #1  reason" of the cruise. No way... If you were truly choosing a cruise to see Moorea and Bora Bora, you would not at all be looking at TPs whatsoever.

How about staying on land in an over-water bungalow for a week and then taking a 7-10day cruise on Paul Gaugin or Oceania, which would include the Marquesas and/or Tuamotu Islands? You will have memories of this trip for years, talking to all your family and friends over and over again... not so much from a TP.

If you do choose a TP, then at least you can get a minimal taste of how incredibly awesome this locale is, and maybe you can plan to back someday. Have fun planning🙂👍

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 1:53 AM, sandancer said:

How would they handle the 4000+ visitors.

Tahiti... easy

Bora Bora ... so so, large pier area for tenders. 

Moorea ... not so well

On 3/28/2021 at 3:37 AM, sandancer said:

On 3/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, LXA350 said:

Good luck on your investigation, as the choice is limited on these Islands you will surely get efficient results from the investigation 😉

LXA350 is correct.

Moorea will be extremely challenged. There is absolutely nothing in and around the very small pier area for the tenders. You'll have to surely pre-book your rental car or excursion.

On Bora Bora, the 1200 passenger Oceania Marina had several upset cruisers I spoke to as they had not pre-planned the trip. These ports are not like the Caribbean where you just show up and there's a ton of locals waiting for you in taxis. It is imperative you pre=plan and pre-book well in advance.

5 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I think you would definitely remember Patrick. 

Absolutely superb day with Patrick! One of the #1 excursions I have done in the world in all my cruises. He and his daughter/son-in-law book up to one year in advance pre-covid. Also, he may have a special deal with Paul Gaugin.... if their ship is in port, his tours are reserved for them. You should check the port schedule to see if Royal is the only ship there that day.

13 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

I believe you may really disappointed to not have more time in Bora Bora and Moorea (most people are). The Leeward Islands & French Polynesia are heaven on earth... seriously, 10x better than anything you will see in the Caribbean, and one of the very few places on Earth I yearn to go back to for a 2nd/3rd/4th time.

I dare say, choosing a TP is not about the ports whatsoever... you're choosing a TP for the ship and all those sea days. I snicker at those who get angry about missing a port etc, when they have 10 sea days out of 12 on a TA/TP, claiming that "the ports" were "the #1  reason" of the cruise. No way... If you were truly choosing a cruise to see Moorea and Bora Bora, you would not at all be looking at TPs whatsoever.

How about staying on land in an over-water bungalow for a week and then taking a 7-10day cruise on Paul Gaugin or Oceania, which would include the Marquesas and/or Tuamotu Islands? You will have memories of this trip for years, talking to all your family and friends over and over again... not so much from a TP.

If you do choose a TP, then at least you can get a minimal taste of how incredibly awesome this locale is, and maybe you can plan to back someday. Have fun planning🙂👍

You are right. A TP is not the best way to visit these ports. However, it’s a great way for us to get from Sydney to Vancouver by doing b2b. We love sea days, these fantastic ports are a bonus. Many  years ago we did cruise around the Tahitian islands only on a Renaissance ship. One of our best cruises ever. 

9 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

For us, this is simply a side treat along the way for our TP.  Did not choose the TP for the ports, ....what little there are on a TP.  We chose for the ship, boarding on 3/17/23...staying on until 4/30/23.    

Unpack once, see Tasmania, NZ, Australia, South Pacific Islands, and "jump ship" in Hawaii to spend 3-4 weeks there, or..... have a choice to stay on to Vancouver and do a B2B loop up to Alaska again.  

Want to talk minimal ports on a TP or TA?...check out Allure TA we will be on November of 2022.  Almost NO ports of call, pretty "blah" cruise for 14 days as far as ports.  But that is not why we do the TP or TA.  We will enjoy the ports before that TA...as we are doing port heavy Med B2B the previous two weeks.  

It's a relocation instead of a long flight back.  

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

it’s a great way for us to get from Sydney to Vancouver by doing b2b. We love sea days, these fantastic ports are a bonus. Many  years ago we did cruise around the Tahitian islands only on a Renaissance ship. One of our best cruises ever. 

Yes... Understood  👍

I'll make a suggestion re Moorea... book far in advance a rental car from Avis. They have a small office (thus limited bookings) located at the Intercontinental (only 15min drive from the small tender pier). They'll pick you up and bring you to the office... and drive you back when returning the car.

There is zero to do and see in the immediate vicinity of the tender pier. A car gives you freedom, and the driving is super simple. If no car, definitely book an excursion.

I've gone back recently to a couple of my reviews to re-live the photos and experiences. I've had a few fellow CC'ers send me likes recently from a couple of reviews!

If you're interested,  here's a link directly to a full day in Moorea with rental car

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524044-marinafrench-polynesia-mar-4-192018-review-wlots-of-photos/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-54426959

Also stayed 3 days pre-cruise at the Hilton Moorea.. this is the real deal (not Cococay cabanas)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2524044-marinafrench-polynesia-mar-4-192018-review-wlots-of-photos/?tab=comments#comment-54397869

57 minutes ago, island lady said:

For us, this is simply a side treat along the way for our TP. 

Unpack once, see Tasmania, NZ, Australia, South Pacific Islands, and "jump ship" in Hawaii to spend 3-4 weeks there, or..... have a choice to stay on to Vancouver and do a B2B loop up to Alaska again.  

It's a relocation instead of a long flight back.  

You.... along with Merion-Mom and many others here on this forum... are my heroes.

I'm not retired yet so looking forward to multiple weeks off with b2b's combined with land stays like the many posts I've seen you make about your bookings. It's been a hell of a year and I've been so damn fortunate to have a booming business in an area of the world that has dealt with the pandemic very very well.... can't wait to get out to see the rest of the world again.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 9:46 AM, Airbalancer said:

Have you look at HAL Noordam for March 2023 ? It looks interesting
never been on HAL but this trip looks very interesting 

9C994D40-54A8-4810-A81C-38F0CA664448.jpeg

That looks like a great cruise.

13 hours ago, crzndeb said:

The tours I went on included the stingrays, sharks, and snorkeling at a coral reef. It also included a Polynesian lunch on a motu. I think you would definitely remember Patrick. There are pictures of him if you google and videos on YouTube. The link I posted also has pics of him. I have done the 3/4 day tour.

Here are a couple of pictures. Were you on the TP on the  Radiance in April 2017?

If people recognize this view then you were on Patrick's tour. 😁

20200728_140727.jpg

That's Patrick. 

20190803_165140.jpg

This is the island they take you to for the lunch.

20170429_121830.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Here are a couple of pictures. Were you on the TP on the  Radiance in April 2017?

If people recognize this view then you were on Patrick's tour. 😁

Great pics. No, I went in 2012 and 2014 on another cruise line.

Sure brings back memories.