QM2 call at New York Xmas

Lesanne

Are you talking Christmas Day? If not, what date?

Much of the city is closed on Christmas Day, and a lot of things close early on Christmas Eve. But Boxing Day isn't a thing in NYC, although the 26th is a Sunday this year. Assuming the city is back to some sort of normal, I'd expect most museums to be open, there are outdoor activities, etc. Of course, the weather could be absolutely horrible, or fine.

35 minutes ago, Lesanne said:

We will be in New York on the 22nd December

In normal times that will usually be the pre-holiday tourist crush-- if you want to see a show or have lunch/dinner at a notable restaurant-- book as soon as you can. Major stores are mobbed. This year? Who knows. My guess is that things will pick up a bit but most likely wont be as crowded as usual. NYC took some hard knocks and things will be slower to come back. 

If your day is a port day (and presumably you are reboarding QM2 around 3:30-4pm for the return) you don't have nearly as much time as you think you might. You dock in Brooklyn which right there gives you at least a half hour to 45 min commute each way to the main sights in Manhattan (you'll get into the city much quicker in the morning than you will coming back to the ship in the afternoon, so plan for that). Personally I don't love shore excursions in these circumstances and would much prefer to have a private car take me into town and walk around, maybe have lunch somewhere nice etc. 

But if you want to see as much as possible in a short period of time and maximize your time ashore-- by all means take one of their excursions. 

Edited by princeton123211

Have you been to Manhattan before? Are there specific things you want to see? Dare I suggest looking at options in Brooklyn? You could spend the day stuck in traffic into Manhattan, or in line at Totonnos or DiFara in Brooklyn...

If you’ve never been to Manhattan, then head in, but pick 3-5 things you want to see. If things are even remotely normal, traffic, especially on any form of bus, is going to be nuts. A ship’s excursion gets you into Manhattan, but I’m betting you’re stuck on the bus. At least there’s a chance that Cunard would have better lunch options! If the excursion say gentleman should bring a sports coat, I might go with them just for lunch!

But car in, car or Uber back, and enjoy 3-4 hours in town would probably be my plan. With a nice to very nice lunch!

How long are you in port? 

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Given the few hours available, unless you are familiar with the city and know your way around - and want to zero in on one known spot for the couple of hours available once you allow travel time, this port call is one of the few where taking a ship’s tour makes real sense.

Agree ++

• 2 weeks later...

If you're just looking to get off the ship and stretch your legs, consider taking the ferry to Wall Street. The ferry leaves adjacent to the QM2 dock, runs roughly hourly, and is a 20 minute ride to Wall Street. If you like observation decks you can do the World Trade Center.  Brooklyn can be entertaining, too. Van Brunt street is walking distance, and has some interesting art studios, restaurants, and shops. If you're looking for the typical New York experience, then I agree with the idea of taking one of the ship's excursions.  NYC is just too big to do on your own, in 4 or 5 hours.

Edited by frankp01

On 4/14/2021 at 4:14 PM, frankp01 said:

If you're just looking to get off the ship and stretch your legs, consider taking the ferry to Wall Street. The ferry leaves adjacent to the QM2 dock, runs roughly hourly, and is a 20 minute ride to Wall Street. If you like observation decks you can do the World Trade Center.  Brooklyn can be entertaining, too. Van Brunt street is walking distance, and has some interesting art studios, restaurants, and shops. If you're looking for the typical New York experience, then I agree with the idea of taking one of the ship's excursions.  NYC is just too big to do on your own, in 4 or 5 hours.

If it is a reasonably pleasant day, that ferry to lower Manhattan would be a great option.  There is a lot to see/do/eat within an easy walking radius.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:13 AM, George C said:

I think New York City will be back to normal by Christmas, but it’s just a little too early to know for sure, broadway should be open , great to walk around Rockefeller center with their Christmas tree. 

Okay Mr. C ,how much would you like to wager ?

On 4/16/2021 at 11:34 AM, navybankerteacher said:

If it is a reasonably pleasant day, that ferry to lower Manhattan would be a great option.  There is a lot to see/do/eat within an easy walking radius.

If you are in Manhattan on a weekday you can take a commuter bus to Brooklyn for $ 5 per person.If you board the bus at about 11 A M you may be the only people on the bus and it is quite likely that the driver will describe the areas that you are passing.My suggestion is to take the BM-3 bus that will take you to Sheepshead Bay.

43 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Okay Mr. C ,how much would you like to wager ?

NYC is showing signs of life Jerry Seinfeld played a comedy club, 54 below is now listing some shows for next month , I sure some broadway will be open by end of the year and hopefully restaurants will be 100 percent. 

22 minutes ago, George C said:

NYC is showing signs of life Jerry Seinfeld played a comedy club, 54 below is now listing some shows for next month , I sure some broadway will be open by end of the year and hopefully restaurants will be 100 percent. 

I hope you are right but I just do not think so.People living in Manhattan are leaving for the suburbs or NJ.

23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I hope you are right but I just do not think so.People living in Manhattan are leaving for the suburbs or NJ.

I think most are flocking to the suburbs is because many are WFH, might as well get out of a tiny apartment for more space for less money since a commute isn’t involved, it’s happening all over the country. My realtor friends here have no inventory.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I think most are flocking to the suburbs is because many are WFH, might as well get out of a tiny apartment for more space for less money since a commute isn’t involved, it’s happening all over the country. My realtor friends here have no inventory.

Not necessarily.We know a couple,the husband is a lawyer and is working in his office.The wife is also working in her office.They left Manhattan for a house in Long Island that cost them $695,000.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not necessarily.We know a couple,the husband is a lawyer and is working in his office.The wife is also working in her office.They left Manhattan for a house in Long Island that cost them $695,000.

Give me a break ,average price is hundreds of thousands more in Manhattan not counting cost per square foot, of course there are houses in the millions in Long Island.

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Give me a break ,average price is hundreds of thousands more in Manhattan not counting cost per square foot, of course there are houses in the millions in Long Island.

One of the reasons that people are leaving Manhattan is because of the looting during the pandemic in the elite areas .That was my point .

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of the reasons that people are leaving Manhattan is because of the looting during the pandemic in the elite areas .That was my point .

There should be bargains to move back to the city, I have family that have a high priced condo in heart of Boston and they have the same concerns . People have been spending millions in Brooklyn in what were extremely low priced housing at one point just to get close to Manhattan. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

There should be bargains to move back to the city, I have family that have a high priced condo in heart of Boston and they have the same concerns . People have been spending millions in Brooklyn in what were extremely low priced housing at one point just to get close to Manhattan. 

Not just Brooklyn ,also Queens but going back to Brooklyn,areas that we would not have walked in when we were young are now competing with Manhattan such as Red Hook ,Bed Stuy,etc.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not just Brooklyn ,also Queens but going back to Brooklyn,areas that we would not have walked in when we were young are now competing with Manhattan such as Red Hook ,Bed Stuy,etc.

That’s the difference between us , is I walked those areas fairly often. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

That’s the difference between us , is I walked those areas fairly often. 

You walked them in the 60’s and 70’s?

I know you walked in Bushwick .My late brother in law lived in Bushwick but for some reason he did not go to Bushwick HS.I never asked him why he went to Jefferson.

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You walked them in the 60’s and 70’s?

I know you walked in Bushwick .My late brother in law lived in Bushwick but for some reason he did not go to Bushwick HS.I never asked him why he went to Jefferson.

Red hook area wasn’t that bad I lived close by in Carrol Gardens, my only problem was getting robbed as a paper boy very close to Bushwick high , but that was before I was 6’4” and 230 lbs.