Florida Ban on Vaccine Passports Will Hurt Cruise Industry

mmcguir

Gov DeSantis plans to take “executive action” to ban any type of vaccine passport for the private sector.  Go figure. I’m not very political but it seems that private businesses should be able to impose requirements reasonably related to the health and safety of employees and customers.  This could be really bad for the cruise industry. 

• Like 1

In my own admittedly-limited research, there appears to be little (if any) direct or even tangential relationship between the use (or mandate to use) masks in any given state, and a particular high/low infection rate in those same states.  I'm sure that's not what a lot of folks want to hear, as it might not comport with a particular chosen confirmation bias on the subject.

But there are many articles that have reported no provable correlation or direct linkage between mandated mask wearing and the rate of Covid transmission/infection rate.  Some states which have imposed rather strict mask wearing regimes have had higher rates of infection than other states which have imposed little or no mask mandates on their respective citizens.

20 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

There are many articles that have reported no probable correlation or direct linkage between mandated mask wearing and the rate of Covid

Having a mandate and complying with it are two different things. 

• Like 3

I agree with Governor DeSantis on this.  Can you imagine having to show a vaccine passport to get into a movie theater or restaurant or football game?  As for travel, each country sets up their requirements for entry so expect to see some form of "proof" (such as yellow card for yellow fever et al) of coronavirus vaccination.

Having trouble following the logic.  So if there is no vaccine requirement, infected people are free come on board a private business and start an outbreak in a contained environment?  That’s what caused this in the first place. That would shut down the industry again.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The card issued by the CDC is not secure in the least,  it can not be trusted as proof of anything.  You can possibly come up with a system where you could request a match with the CDC records, but that would be rather difficult.  Most likely the question will be added to the useless health statement we have had to fill out ever since the Ebola scare.  You are responsible for your own health and must decide what risks you will take. 

Cruiselines will require whatever vaccinations the countries that they are visiting require; always been the case.  What this thread is about is local cities or businesses saying you need vaccine passport to enter their premises; that is what the Governor stated would not happen in Florida.  Not everyone will get vaccinated or NEEDS to get vaccinated; that is the whole premise behind "herd immunity."  There are some that cannot get immunized and there are some that will not get immunized; makes no difference once we get to herd immunity.

We are not going to eradicate this virus anytime soon; after all, even polio is not eradicated.  It will become endemic.  The belief that you can get risk to ZERO and cases to ZERO is harebrained.

Just my two cents

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

For those that advocate/support a “COVID PASSPORT” can you explain why?  If YOU have the vaccine aren’t YOU protected?  We don’t demand that those around us have a pneumonia vaccine (which we only give to those over 50 in the US) or a current flu vaccine...is it because you don’t trust that the COVID vaccine will protect you....then why get it at all?  And before you quote the stats related to effectiveness...the mumps vaccine is less than 80% effective, the original shingles vaccine was 50% effective (the newer one is around 90%)...no vaccine is 100% effective.

Cruise lines have a unique set of conditions that would make them mandate all passengers have the vaccine...they do not have the medical resources to support treating multiple (or any) critical patients...given the demographic of most cruises they are at an increased risk that this could occur.

Cruises can require proof of vaccination without the government requiring a passport that may be a violation of the US Constitution...it will certainly wind up in US courts if we move to implement one.

• Like 4

This is the second time that I've commented on this as it already came up in a different thread. A covid vaccine passport is just more government regulation, and a way for them to collect our health data. Once they create a health passport (or add it to our existing passport), the government will want all or our health information added to their database (which is probably on someone's Microsoft server with outdated security).

The yellow fever card, issued by the vaccine provider has worked for a very long time. The card that was given to us for the covid vaccine,  which was a CDC card with the date, place, and the vaccine type and lot number (which I think is more than we have on our yellow fever card) is all that should be needed for proof of the vaccine.

I don't want to have to provide a proof of vaccine to enter a restaurant or the grocery store at home in Florida. I'll wear a mask if that's what the business I'm entering wants to do, and their employees are doing the same.

If cruises want to require proof of vaccines, including covid, flu and pneumonia, and allow us to show documents from the vaccine provider, I'm all for that. But I totally support our Florida governor when he said that there should not be a US government covid passport.

• Like 7

I would say it’s really about the industry not having to shut down again.  While you or I may be protected by the vaccine, if other people come aboard infected and it spreads to others onboard (passengers or crew who are not vaccinated), it will shut down the specific cruise, and could result in another ban on cruise ships. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

A covid vaccine passport is just more government regulation, and a way for them to collect our health data. Once they create a health passport (or add it to our existing passport), the government will want all or our health information added to their database (which is probably on someone's Microsoft server with outdated security).

There’s already so much information about us stored in the government’s database that we don’t even realize, that including vaccination data to it (for the purpose of international travel) wouldn’t bother me one bit. 

I travel internationally for work on a weekly basis, and they don’t even ask me for my passport anymore upon returning to the US. The electronic kiosks are also gone. It’s all face recognition. I stand in front of a camera and they wave me through. On a positive note, it makes clearing US customs very fast and efficient. If incorporating vaccine data into a passport is going to expedite international travel further and make cruising easier, I’m in favor.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I agree with Governor DeSantis on this.  Can you imagine having to show a vaccine passport to get into a movie theater or restaurant or football game?  As for travel, each country sets up their requirements for entry so expect to see some form of "proof" (such as yellow card for yellow fever et al) of coronavirus vaccination.

I rather have the option of a passport than having to get a negative Covid test every time I want to attend any large event. I already have the vax. If one doesn’t want the vax then they should prove they are not Covid positive.

Right now there are no concerts or stadiums filled with people. So it’s a choice folks will have to decide. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

This is the second time that I've commented on this as it already came up in a different thread. A covid vaccine passport is just more government regulation, and a way for them to collect our health data. Once they create a health passport (or add it to our existing passport), the government will want all or our health information added to their database (which is probably on someone's Microsoft server with outdated security).

The yellow fever card, issued by the vaccine provider has worked for a very long time. The card that was given to us for the covid vaccine,  which was a CDC card with the date, place, and the vaccine type and lot number (which I think is more than we have on our yellow fever card) is all that should be needed for proof of the vaccine.

I don't want to have to provide a proof of vaccine to enter a restaurant or the grocery store at home in Florida. I'll wear a mask if that's what the business I'm entering wants to do, and their employees are doing the same.

If cruises want to require proof of vaccines, including covid, flu and pneumonia, and allow us to show documents from the vaccine provider, I'm all for that. But I totally support our Florida governor when he said that there should not be a US government covid passport.

Being the Devils advocate here,  but I think you’re very naive about how much the US govt knows about your health already.

First off, all that vaccine information is already stored in a data base. Secondly if you have health insurance, especially Medicare, then everything about your health is out there somewhere. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fxstsb said:

By forcing vaccination does the cruise line or state share responsibility in the event of a death resulting from the innoculation?

Cruise lines won’t/can’t force anybody to get vaccinated.  As for who to blame.... can’t help you there.

I know of no topic in the last 20+ years that has brought the amount of controversy as that of Covid.  Could you just knock it off?  I believe masks help, you don’t.  Do we need to debate it ad nauseum?  I trust the CDC, their scientific research.  I trust my government to have my best interests at heart.  I believe that being on a ship with others who have been vaccinated and who have tested negative within 72 hours is as safe as  I can expect.  Those are my opinions.  If you disagree, fine.  But do we really need to go on and on?  I know, I know, some of you think there are other topics more controversial than the handling of Covid.  Let the debate stop right here.

• Like 6