When do they pull the trigger on Infinity?

Bruin Steve

Okay...For the 2021 Mediterranean Season, back on January 12, they pulled the plug on all sailings of Edge and Constellation...

This past Thursday, they canceled the Apex sailings from Rome and Barcelona and replaced them with a slate of cruises out of Athens...

Fairly clear that they have conceded certain Mediterranean ports and countries would not be available for a few good reasons...But, at the same time, they have reached the conclusion that Greece and Israel would be available...Royal Caribbean is running somewhat restricted cruises from Israel to Greece...and Celebrity just created itineraries from Greece to Israel...

Meanwhile, Celebrity still has one other ship still scheduled to cruise an entire season, beginning June 1 out of Venice, Rome and Barcelona--the Infinity.

Clearly, since they opted to move Apex, they must feel that these itineraries and ports--between Venice and Barcelona--are un-sailable...

So, the question is:  Why are they still on the schedule, still being sold?  And when will they pull the plug and cancel them?  And, if so:  Will they move the ship somewhere they've deemed sailable--such as Greece/Israel or the Caribbean?  What will they offer the people booked on it--Move to a new itinerary only on the same ship?  Move to another ship? Move only to 2022?  Or just FCC or refund?

They have to realize that this season is now scheduled to begin JUNE 1--only two months away.  Many people have passed the final payment date, have made other arrangements for the trip, have to deal with airfares, etc.

For me, personally, it's a real pain in the neck as I have an Apex cruise I have now moved to an new Athens sailing...and an Infinity cruise that originally dovetailed into it--to create a pseudo-back-to-back because both ships were to be in Civitavecchia for my turn-around...Now I have an Infinity cruise I don't think will happen and an Apex cruise that will...but, it would be nice to know for sure so I can make all my other plans...

I know a lot of people like to merely speculate "won't happen"...but I am not asking that...I agree that I BELIEVE the Infinity cruise won't happen...I just want to hear if anyone has any concrete evidence as to what WILL happen...and when we should get a definitive announcement.  Anyone?

39 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

43DD549B-08EE-4316-81FC-7FA878FE573A.jpeg

This.

Celebrity is making it up as they go.  They are trying to get as many ships sailing as they can and have to negotiate with multiple countries with different requirements.

I have a HAL Alaskan cruise that has not been cancelled yet....

To me it is not clear yet if non EU/UK will be able to sail in Europe?  

Edited by NMTraveller

Going to answer the OP, with my opinion only.... basically those of us on the 2021 Constellation cruises in Europe were only given the choice of booking Infinity in Europe this year,  so for someone like me who had a great price & perks on a suite, I switched over to protect my price/perks, even though it was for a far inferior itinerary.... wonder what they will offer if/when they cancel the Infinity cruises ??

We are booked on the Infinity Lisbon to Barcelona in October.  Originally a B2B with the  TA to bring us home.  Months ago the TA was cancelled so we changed our plans, added time in Spain to make the trip over worth it. Last week the airline cancelled our flight to Lisbon, didn’t move us, just cancelled.  We booked with miles so only options are costly and flights with multiple stop & layovers.

I don’t think  celebrity or anyone on these boards has the answer as to what the Infinity will/could do in the summer or fall.   At this point with 10 total cancellations, 2 remaining L & S cruises and a few others booked for 2022 & 23

I have decided it is a waste of my time  and energy to worry about what may or may not happen.   Everything we have booked is refundable so when final payment comes due we will make a decision on whether or not what is available  is worth to us.  

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...For the 2021 Mediterranean Season, back on January 12, they pulled the plug on all sailings of Edge and Constellation...

This past Thursday, they canceled the Apex sailings from Rome and Barcelona and replaced them with a slate of cruises out of Athens...

Fairly clear that they have conceded certain Mediterranean ports and countries would not be available for a few good reasons...But, at the same time, they have reached the conclusion that Greece and Israel would be available...Royal Caribbean is running somewhat restricted cruises from Israel to Greece...and Celebrity just created itineraries from Greece to Israel...

Meanwhile, Celebrity still has one other ship still scheduled to cruise an entire season, beginning June 1 out of Venice, Rome and Barcelona--the Infinity.

Clearly, since they opted to move Apex, they must feel that these itineraries and ports--between Venice and Barcelona--are un-sailable...

So, the question is:  Why are they still on the schedule, still being sold?  And when will they pull the plug and cancel them?  And, if so:  Will they move the ship somewhere they've deemed sailable--such as Greece/Israel or the Caribbean?  What will they offer the people booked on it--Move to a new itinerary only on the same ship?  Move to another ship? Move only to 2022?  Or just FCC or refund?

They have to realize that this season is now scheduled to begin JUNE 1--only two months away.  Many people have passed the final payment date, have made other arrangements for the trip, have to deal with airfares, etc.

For me, personally, it's a real pain in the neck as I have an Apex cruise I have now moved to an new Athens sailing...and an Infinity cruise that originally dovetailed into it--to create a pseudo-back-to-back because both ships were to be in Civitavecchia for my turn-around...Now I have an Infinity cruise I don't think will happen and an Apex cruise that will...but, it would be nice to know for sure so I can make all my other plans...

I know a lot of people like to merely speculate "won't happen"...but I am not asking that...I agree that I BELIEVE the Infinity cruise won't happen...I just want to hear if anyone has any concrete evidence as to what WILL happen...and when we should get a definitive announcement.  Anyone?

Time to take control and stop waiting on Celebrity.  Celebrity effectively canceled your entire trip when they canceled part of it.  Take the money from the Apex sailing now.  If you have a NRD or are past the final payment date, wait until Celebrity cancels and then take your money.  If somehow the Infinity sails, you can cancel under the Cruise with Confidence provisions and take the credits.  Make alternative plans and enjoy your summer.  

• Like 1

No one knows.  Everything is 100% speculation at this point. 

As a US citizen booking European cruises and travel for summer 2021, you’re just manufacturing headaches to deal with later on. Book a trip somewhere in the US or Mexico and look forward to cruising again in 2022. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

No one knows.  Everything is 100% speculation at this point. 

As a US citizen booking European cruises and travel for summer 2021, you’re just manufacturing headaches to deal with later on. Book a trip somewhere in the US or Mexico and look forward to cruising again in 2022. 

I agree 100%.  I don't need to manufacture those headaches for an expensive 7-day cruise.

• Like 1

We are in the same situation as we have an Infinity cruise booked from Barcelona to Lisbon on Sept 9th.  Our final payment is not until mid June do we still have time to wait and see what breaks. After the Infinity cruise we are booked on the HAL Westerdam from Athens to Venice. This cruise replaced our original Greek cruise on the Constellation that was canceled in January. With the cost of air to Europe we prefer to do at least 2 cruises in one trip.

Edited by terrydtx

16 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

43DD549B-08EE-4316-81FC-7FA878FE573A.jpeg

Wish I had one of these gizmos....My only crystal ball is my intuition....which I exercised last Sept.  Cancelled outright Infinity June '21....could see ahead that the covid virus was taking over and not likely to free up Europe in time to sail any ships in the Med during the summer months.  Glad I did as it was a relief to not keep wondering and have so many ifs.  Now this Nov. is the same in my mind....debating whether to make final payment in August, but maybe by then we'll have a clearer picture than we did last Fall.....🤞  Have a great rate and perks so not as quick to decide on this one.  Please....don't tell me your crystal ball is telling us we have to be concerned re June '22!!!

Edited by Oceangoer2

I’m in your boat. I have 3 cabins booked for June 13th.  Last year pre covid I foolishly changed to NRD during on one of their sales. 

Final payment of March 15th have come and gone. I didn’t make the final payment because I don’t feel like giving celebrity 10k interest free loan.  Funny enough the 3 rooms are still showing under my account. No agents have called me about missing the final payments. 

Celebrity cruises aren’t earning any good will from me knowingly delaying the cancellation just so they can collect final payments or hoping people will lose their deposits. 

I know the CC cruise white knights will jump in their shady practices. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Going to answer the OP, with my opinion only.... basically those of us on the 2021 Constellation cruises in Europe were only given the choice of booking Infinity in Europe this year,  so for someone like me who had a great price & perks on a suite, I switched over to protect my price/perks, even though it was for a far inferior itinerary.... wonder what they will offer if/when they cancel the Infinity cruises ??

and some of us saw the hand writing on the wall and asked for our money back....despite the great deal, great itinerary we were giving up.  We did the L&S from Oct 2020 to Oct 2021 but enough is enough. 

BruinSteve, I wish there was a real answer for you but Celebrity holds all of the marbles on this one so they are making the rules.  It is not fun at all and  right now I am just thankful that the last of my refunds got approved today so now I can spend my pandemic time relaxing and not chasing my money.......

55 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

and some of us saw the hand writing on the wall and asked for our money back....despite the great deal, great itinerary we were giving up.  We did the L&S from Oct 2020 to Oct 2021 but enough is enough. 

BruinSteve, I wish there was a real answer for you but Celebrity holds all of the marbles on this one so they are making the rules.  It is not fun at all and  right now I am just thankful that the last of my refunds got approved today so now I can spend my pandemic time relaxing and not chasing my money.......

I did receive full refunds for several other cancelled cruises,  1 on HAL, one on MSC, & two others on X... the only reason I've kept this one going is that it's 4x cancelled cruise (some precovid) & so at this point I've got what is a ridiculous amount of OBC...   I started out with an onboard booking & with each cancellation they have increased the OBC... so at this point it' a battle of wills between me & X to keep my price & OBC (which I know is utterly absurd on my part, but hey,  if it works out, I'll be a very happy camper (or cruiser)  Europe has 7.5 months to get its act together regarding vaccinations till my cruise... in the meantime, I have zero expectations & am making zero concrete plans....   saving that for May 2022 MSC yacht club N. Europe... that one I am making plans for :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LzyCruiser_NWA said:

Final payment of March 15th have come and gone. I didn’t make the final payment because I don’t feel like giving celebrity 10k interest free loan.

You are aware that if you cancelled prior to final payment the deposits would be returned to you in the form of FCC?   Now that final payment date has past, technically you are in the penalty period and the deposit would be forfeited as you didn't cancel.

It may not be to late to get the FCC for your deposits if you call and say the date just slipped by and you didn't receive any notification that it was due, they may cancel and issue the FCC.

If you are just hoping they cancel in the future and will refund your deposits because you didn't cancel I don't think there is much chance of that happening.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

You are aware that if you cancelled prior to final payment the deposits would be returned to you in the form of FCC?   Now that final payment date has past, technically you are in the penalty period and the deposit would be forfeited as you didn't cancel.

Perhaps but with the increased in prices for future sailings. The $1500 would not have been enough to cover booking new cruises. At this point I might as well have made a donation. 

By some miracle if they refund my deposit when they cancel the infinity,  I’ll consider cruising with Celebrity again. Otherwise I think we’re done with cruises for a long while

16 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

the only reason I've kept this one going is that it's 4x cancelled cruise (some precovid) & so at this point I've got what is a ridiculous amount of OBC...   I started out with an onboard booking & with each cancellation they have increased the OBC... so at this point it' a battle of wills between me & X to keep my price & OBC (which I know is utterly absurd on my part, but hey,  if it works out, I'll be a very happy camper (or cruiser)

Exactly how I feel. The BTBs that I have on the books on Infinity are the "perfect storm" of OBC and great price. No skin off my nose keeping them on the books for now. I also have airline credits from canceled 2020 travel, so I can wait to make reservations until things look more certain. Or not. 😊

We have a group of approximately 24 who were displaced because of a cancelled Norway itinerary. We really want to go to Spain/Portugal in October, but with a group this size, we're stuck between a rock and a hard place (as it takes months of planning hotels, flights, and excursions for such a group). 😞