Should we cruise FP for the fifth time, or go someplace new?

Loreni

FP is by far our favorite destination.  We have traveled more than some, but we haven’t been everywhere.  I think we have a reasonable frame of reference and we don’t really expect to find a place we’d like better.  I think if we went back to FP we would probably enjoy it (while we were doing it) more than the alternatives we’re considering.  On the other hand, afterwards, we might find we have more clearly distinct memories when looking back if we go someplace new.  So is it better to maximize the joy while in the moment or to create many distinct (and hopefully still pleasant) memories.

1 hour ago, Loreni said:

FP is by far our favorite destination.  We have traveled more than some, but we haven’t been everywhere.  I think we have a reasonable frame of reference and we don’t really expect to find a place we’d like better.  I think if we went back to FP we would probably enjoy it (while we were doing it) more than the alternatives we’re considering.  On the other hand, afterwards, we might find we have more clearly distinct memories when looking back if we go someplace new.  So is it better to maximize the joy while in the moment or to create many distinct (and hopefully still pleasant) memories.

Only you can answer that question for yourself.

But for us we've been to FP over 45 times between us, 22 times together. I've been all over the world and haven't found a better place to enjoy, that is why we keep coming back. What we enjoy is including a new island we have not been to (something new) and then enjoy returning to the tried and true experiences we've enjoyed over the years. Depending on the cruise line and the itineraries available you might do a pre/post stay at a new island you've yet to experience. Off the beaten trek places can be a great experience. 😉

To me, it's all about relaxation versus adventure. New destinations always bring a sense of adventure and discovery, but for me they also bring a bit more stress and anxiety. Did I do enough research? Will we find our way? Will we be safe? Will we enjoy it? etc. When we're looking for relaxation and rejuvenation, there's nothing like a familiar destination that you are so comfortable with and the chance to see familiar faces and places, while still disconnecting from the real world a bit. There's a time for both, but current life events might make one more favorable than the other for us. Given the events of the last year, I'm looking forward to getting on a familiar ship and heading to some familiar destinations.

Thank you both for your thoughts.  We talked and agreed that if we knew it was our last vacation, it would be cruising French Polynesia and maybe adding a week on Moorea.  Staying overnight  on Moorea wouldn’t be a new island, but it would be a new experience.   The beach at Tipaniers is nice, maybe we would stay there and visit Motu Farone again.  

This pandemic puts travel in a new light for us.  You never know when the window of opportunity will open and when it will close again.   I think for our next trip we want relaxation and enjoyment and not too much adventure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Loreni said:

Thank you both for your thoughts.  We talked and agreed that if we knew it was our last vacation, it would be cruising French Polynesia and maybe adding a week on Moorea.  Staying overnight  on Moorea wouldn’t be a new island, but it would be a new experience.   The beach at Tipaniers is nice, maybe we would stay there and visit Motu Farone again.  

This pandemic puts travel in a new light for us.  You never know when the window of opportunity will open and when it will close again.   I think for our next trip we want relaxation and enjoyment and not too much adventure.

Yes  ... Tipaniers has a wonderful location on Moorea, a favorite place we visit often even if it's only to hang out for a few hours on the beach and lunch in the beach cafe.

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Thank you for the pictures, TBK.

We only spent two hours here in February 2020 (seems very long ago) and didn’t have my camera.  These pictures bring back good memories!  I see the chairs where we sat.

• Like 1

@Loreni

Italy and the Greek Islands are some of my favorite places. But since we've gotten older we can't get Tahiti out of our blood. First visit was 30 years ago on the old Wind Song that now rests in the channel between Papeete and Moorea. Really glad we saw other beautiful places, like Fiji and Australia too. But nothing is like Tahiti. I'd go back to Italy in a heartbeat, but my heart would be beating faster if Tahiti was another option.

Now been booked on 3 different Tahiti cruises this year that have been cancelled. Hoping that I'm not being too optimistic hoping for Aug 2022 and April 2023. Good luck with your decision.

4 hours ago, Loreni said:

We only spent two hours here in February 2020 (seems very long ago) and didn’t have my camera.  These pictures bring back good memories!  I see the chairs where we sat.

Les Tipaniers 2009 (1 of 5).jpg

Les Tipaniers 2009 (3 of 5).jpg

Thanks TBK.  You have given me a lot of happiness today!

Petoonya, it was funny you should mention, with the exception of Fiji, the very alternatives to FP that we’ve been talking about.  Although we’ve been to Italy  a number of times, we never made it to Positano and I’ve been a bit fixated on the idea lately.  We were so close....Capri, Sorrento, Pompeii.  Australia would be a totally new place that has also come up in discussion.       Hopefully, we have have a chance to visit these places someday. 

• Like 1

Another place to consider would be the Cook Islands. Beautiful beaches as well. Very relaxing. Loved Rarotonga and Aitutaki. I would definitely return.

I also have been to Bora Bora and Moorea and would love to cruise around the area. Loved the overwater bungalows.

@Loreni

If you have a bit of a hankering for return to Italy, this might be a prime time to visit. Our favorite area in Italy is is also Sorrento and the Amalfi coast as there is so much so close. Pompeii, Herculaneum, Positano, Capri- sounds like you know it well too! Makes deciding what to do from just one port stop in Naples close to impossible. Oceania and Windstar have cruises where there is a stop at Amalfi and Naples, so two days to enjoy in the area. It HOOKS you, doesn't it, just like FP does.

We used to go every year in May, as the weather was perfect and much lighter crowds. Hope that you give it a whirl. The curiosity would kill me.

TE35 and TBK:  The Cook Islands are a wonderful idea.  Aitutaki looks amazing.  We especially enjoy being able to snorkel directly from the shore and it looks like this is doable in Rarotonga.  This is also one of the reasons we love Moorea.

Petoonya:  Thank you for those itineraries that stop in Amalfi, it would be easy to visit Positano from there!  We’ve been to Italy twice in April and had great weather.  When you visited each May was it part of the late April transatlantics?  Any advice or suggestions for a land based stay? Once we were able to combine a March transatlantic (Ft Lauderdale to Venice) with an April world cruise segment (Civitavecchia to Ft. Lauderdale),  but this was a special case due dry dock.  This was a wonderful trip that gave us a few days on land between sailings. We stayed near Camp dei Fiori in Rome at  Residenze Farnese.  Otherwise, it has been many years since we took land based vacations to Italy.  I went once in August (too hot) and it give me a chance to swim at Capri.  It was nice enough, but I don’t need to include swimming on a future trip.  We’ve always stayed in hotels in Italy, but have friends who rented an apartment for a month and enjoyed it. Another couple went on a road trip.  We’ve talked about the possibility of taking an April transatlantic, staying in Italy for a while, then flying to England and sailing Cunard to NY.  Another possibility would be just to fly back from Italy.  Or fly to Italy in March (the weather would still be acceptable by our standards) and take a world cruise segment back.  In any case we want to include some land based time in Italy.

Easter Island:  I wonder if anyone has visited Rapa Nui (Easter Island) from Papeete.  This would be a true adventure.  Only one flight a week so plenty of time to explore the small island.

Loreni

The gem is Aitutaki ... been to the Cook's 6 times and frankly Rarotonga plays second fiddle to Aitutaki. If your going land based spend the majority of your time on Aitutaki 😉

Arriving at the airport in Aitutaki ...

1.jpg

Snorkeling the incredible lagoon of Aitutaki

5.jpg

Famous One Foot Island on Aitutaki

17.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

@Loreni

You have so many places to consider! It sounds like you've already done a lot of traveling in Italy- I'll bet the Cook Islands might be a better choice. But when we've gone to Europe it's been first 2 weeks a Med cruise and, then a week each in Venice and Sorrento.

Here's an interesting Med itinerary Windstar has for April 2022- the price is decent for Windstar.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/overview/collector/barcelona-to-athens/ancient-to-avant-garde-mediterranean/?pkgid=249082

Have you considered the Galapagos? It's been about 20 years for us but that was an adventure!

Edited by Petoonya

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

@Loreni

You have so many places to consider! It sounds like you've already done a lot of traveling in Italy- I'll bet the Cook Islands might be a better choice. But when we've gone it's been first 2 weeks a Med cruise and, then a week each in Venice and Sorrento.

Here's an interesting Med itinerary Windstar has for April 2022- the price is decent for Windstar.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/overview/collector/barcelona-to-athens/ancient-to-avant-garde-mediterranean/?pkgid=249082

Have you considered the Galapagos? It's been about 20 years for us but that was an adventure!

Wow what an itinerary on Windstar!  Thank you.  

We have friends who speak highly of their cruise to the Galapagos.  We are also intrigued by Antarctica (even just a sail by).  But it all goes back to the first question we are struggling with.  Is is better to do something you know you will love or have a new adventure.  We haven’t reached an agreement on that.  Truthfully either would be wonderful and it is fun to think of and plan for both.  Sometimes I joke that we should just return to FP until we get sick of it...but then we might not ever go anyplace else.

My husband is the same way about FP. Every cruise cycle I ask, "well what about Italy & Greece, Oz, Antarctica, Seychelles, Iceland and it's always the same for him. "I just don't think any of those would be as fun as FP."