Today Is The Final Day

ernieb

Today is the final day of this promotion; there's never any way to know what will come next. Sometimes, it's basically a new spin on the same deal under a different promotion name. Only time will tell.

We're booked on a December Antarctica cruise which we paid for a long time ago, but we're not yet booking any additional travel until we see the gears actually starting to turn on the reopening of cruising and the world. I'm just not willing to put tens of thousands of additional dollars in the Bank of [Cruiseline] until things start to move in a positive direction. Hopefully, that will be in the next few months, but vaccine shortages and variants could continue to throw us all curve balls.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Hopefully, that will be in the next few months, but vaccine shortages and variants could continue to throw us all curve balls.

Curve balls indeed.  I've just read that cases are on the rise in Florida, which is considered a bellweather for the virus in the US.  Between the anti-maskers and the anti-vaccine people, we may be in for a much longer recovery in the US and worldwide than we had hoped.  And THAT will affect our ability to resume cruising with Seabourn. 

Edited by SLSD
typos

3 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

It's a poor show in Florida regarding the virus.

Mr. L, where are you getting your data?  When I look at the US CDC website,  Florida's data is by no means the worst (for either death or cases) among the US states when comparing rates per 100,000.

Edited by Fred arbuthnot
Added (for either death or cases)

5 hours ago, Fred arbuthnot said:

Mr. L, where are you getting your data?  When I look at the US CDC website,  Florida's data is by no means the worst (for either death or cases) among the US states when comparing rates per 100,000.

3 hours ago, Seas_The_Day said:

agreed - florida and texas are right at the national average for cases per 1m and are better than the nat'l average in deaths per 1m - so much misinformation out there that is influencing people

Having followed the data over this last sad year both Texas and Florida numbers initially were very good but over the last many months they have been fairly consistently #2 & 3 in cases and deaths on a daily basis.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

So yes if you look at the national average they look okay but have been doing poorly on a daily basis.

When I look at Worldometers, I see that Florida ranks #27 in cases per million and #25 in deaths per million.  Also remember that Texas and Florida are the number 2 and 3 states for population in the USA, so having a higher absolute number of cases/deaths is expected, due to having higher populations.

Try sorting the data on the million cases/population tab of Worldometers.

By the way, lets not forget that California is Number 1 in total deaths and total cases (if we want to pick on a specific state, and that is not even counting the issue of New York and their reporting ills).

Edited by Fred arbuthnot
Add additional information

2 hours ago, Fred arbuthnot said:

Try sorting the data on the million cases/population tab of Worldometers.

I specifically mentioned I was basing my assessment on how current daily numbers were going not on per capita percentage. Per capita doesn't give an indication of what is happening in the present moment. 

A good friend who is a consultant Chef has been working in Miami for the last month and can't believe what behaviour he sees.

He said it's as if there were no such thing as Coronavirus around.

People are not social distancing or wearing masks and carrying on as if everything was normal.

He is now in Nappa where behaviour is very different.

I have quite a few friends who live in Florida, most who have from the start and to this day continue to follow the suggestions, e.g., social distance, do not dine inside, get vaccinated ASAP, etc.  Some others who think it is no big deal, have been dining inside since it was allowed, despise mask wearing (I don't like wearing a mask myself but always do it when in contact w/ others) don't understand why others are wary and not interested in getting the vaccine even though they are eligible.  Unfortunately in the US the messaging from elected officials is often contrary and not always in the best interest of the general public health.  

We are all fatigued by this but if we simply hold out a few more months we seem to be able to (at least in most of the US) get it behind us with the vaccines effectively reducing the spread and preventing deaths.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:11 AM, Mr Luxury said:

A good friend who is a consultant Chef has been working in Miami for the last month and can't believe what behaviour he sees.

He said it's as if there were no such thing as Coronavirus around.

People are not social distancing or wearing masks and carrying on as if everything was normal.

He is now in Nappa where behaviour is very different.

In response to the  "friend of a friend who spent some time in Florida" comment: I wanted to assure all of our fellow Seabourn friends, we Florida residents are social distancing, wearing masks and getting 'the shot' in record numbers. And despite what CNN is reporting we are even washing our hands after doing #2 :).  We are living the "new normal" like everyone else and not dropping like flies.  Please stay safe and we'll see you on board in 2023.

• Like 2