Orlando to FLL

thegoaliegirl

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It's a source of revenue for the town.

Just west of Columbus, OH on  US 40, there was just such a community.  The entrapment of speeders became such a problem that legal action was filed against the community.  After much litigation, the case reached the Ohio Supreme Court and the community's practice was ended.  If I recall correctly, their ridiculously low speed limit was ordered to be raised to one that was more appropriate for the roadway and the situation.  

We have had towns like this in Florida.  It's just that the corridor from Orlando > Fort Lauderdale through the middle of the state (US27) is NOT like that.

They aren't speed traps.  The speed limits are clearly posted and there really isn't anywhere that the speeds are unreasonably low.  The issue is that the highway is 65mph with traffic doing 70 - 75... but there are towns along the highway.  And people come flying in to the towns despite 5+ reductions in speed prior to getting to the town (65 to 55 to 50 to 45 to 40 to 35).   And even then, I don't see officers very often running radar there.  But they obviously do on occasion. 

Just saying, it's not appropriate to accuse these towns of running speed traps for revenue.  It wrongfully hurts their reputation and is kind of insulting to the police department and local community to imply they are out there trying to screw people for money.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

We have had towns like this in Florida.  It's just that the corridor from Orlando > Fort Lauderdale through the middle of the state (US27) is NOT like that.

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

it's not appropriate to accuse these towns of running speed traps for revenue.  It wrongfully hurts their reputation and is kind of insulting to the police department and local community to imply they are out there trying to screw people for money.

I apologize for offense that was taken by my previous post.  It was not meant to be offensive,  I have driven US 27 from Orlando.  It's a good drive and an interesting one.  (Went by the Florida's Natural OJ plant; now, wish I took the time to stop and visit.)  

19 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

people in Florida have been known to exceed speed limits from time to time. Sometimes by 30 mph or more. 

Ohio as well.  During the height of the pandemic in our State, the traffic on our Interstates was light.  The Ohio State Highway Patrol reported a significant increase in tickets being issued for those driving 30+ mph above the speed limit.  

Given what Tiger Woods has experienced, maybe our Common Pleas Court judges ought to require the offenders have a conversation with Mr. Woods about his experiences, if Tiger would be willing to do so.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I apologize for offense that was taken by my previous post.  It was not meant to be offensive,  I have driven US 27 from Orlando.  It's a good drive and an interesting one.  (Went by the Florida's Natural OJ plant; now, wish I took the time to stop and visit.)  

It's a fantastic drive.  As I have a house in Fort Lauderdale and Lake Placid, I do it regularly.  Usually weekly, sometimes even more often.  I'll be heading that way tomorrow, too.  Fun weekend on the lake.

I think more people should make the drive as there is a lot to do and see along the way.  Fun little wineries and distilleries, Gatorama, Highlands Hammock hiking, the Florida's Natural center, Bok Tower, tons of great restaurants with some local foods, airboat tours, kayaking Fisheating Creek (lots of gators!), etc.  And the drive itself only adds maybe 30 - 40 minutes over the Turnpike.  It's less stressful, far more interesting with a lot to look at, and a great way to experience some of the Florida heartland. Most of the drive is up on the ridge, too.  Which is it's own interesting story 🙂

No offense taken!  Just wanted to clear it up.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OP, I'm glad you're driving down the day before.  Many moons ago, driving in on the day of our cruise, my husband and I got stuck on the turnpike between St Cloud and Yeehaw Junction.  Sat there for 3+ hours with BP rising because there's nowhere to get off.  A lot of nothing.  We skidded into the cruise port with about 45 minutes to spare.  We were last to board.  Horrible beginning to what was supposed to have been a celebration.  I don't think they'd let us onboard that late anymore.  So now I take 95 the day before. 

I don't know when your cruise is, but there's an ongoing shortage of rental cars in Florida and unsurprisingly, they're getting a lot of money for the ones you can get.  I'm not heading to Port Everglades until next April.  Even though cars will be plentiful by then, instead of my usual one-way car rental, this time I'll probably fly Southwest from MCO to FLL the day before.  It'll be my treat to me to have someone else do the driving and muscling the cruise suitcase.  And since I'm not a big fan of shuttle buses, especially waiting for one, it'll most likely be uber to the hotel and pier (they're reasonable in Fort Lauderdale).  Big sigh, I want to go NOW!

• Like 1

Personally, I would rather get a good nights sleep in a hotel near Port Everglades than getting up super early in Orlando and having to drive up to four hours for the two hundred twenty five mile trip south to Fort Lauderdale. Stay overnight near Port Everglades, have a great dinner at Louie Bossi’s on Las Olas Blvd and get a good nights sleep before your next day arrival to check in at Port Everglades.

• Like 1