CDC Update 4/2/2021: Fully Vaccinated People May Travel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/02/cdc-fully-vaccinated-may-travel/

Federal health officials gave the green light Friday for fully vaccinated people to resume travel as an estimated 100 million Americans have had at least one dose of coronavirus vaccine, and evidence mounts of the shots’ effectiveness.

The long-awaited guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is welcome news for the growing number of vaccinated adults who want greater freedom to visit family members and take vacations for the first time in a year. It is also expected to help boost the travel and airline industries that have been seeking a relaxation of restrictions. Until Friday’s announcement, officials were still discouraging people who had been fully vaccinated from traveling.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I didn’t realize we *couldn’t* travel if we were unvaccinated. Except, obviously, for cruising.

iv been traveling, i think the cdc recommended not to, now they are recommending its ok with vaccine. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

iv been traveling, i think the cdc recommended not to, now they are recommending its ok with vaccine. 

Yeah, me too. By the title of the article, though, it infers that there was some sort of ban. Kind of like changing CDC guidance to “rules”.

• Like 2

Im also ready for my first shot , i think enough time has gone by and id like to get the pfizer one (though i may not have a choice)

Im ready to sail either way as i have been already traveling following protocols and no issues. 

• Like 2

Data from April 2

"Over the past week, there has been an average of 65,574 cases per day (Covid-19)"

"Over the past week, there has been an average of 2,903,730 vaccine doses administrated per day"

It is just a matter of time and the vaccinations will allow all restrictions to be lifted. I am only 5 days away from my scheduled second shot. I am ready to cruise!

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

The CDC stated that no testing is required to re-enter the USA for fully vaccinated US citizens. The caveat is that C19 testing may still be required by your state or local government. In other words, it depends on where you live. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

I do see what you saw.  Testing post-travel. “Required”.  What is the mechanism for requiring and reporting?

• If you travel, you should still take steps to protect yourself and others. You will still be required to wear a mask on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations. Fully vaccinated international travelers arriving in the United States are still required to get tested within 3 days of their flight (or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months) and should still get tested 3-5 days after their trip.
Edited by logan25

7 minutes ago, logan25 said:

I do see what you saw.  Testing post-travel.

• If you travel, you should still take steps to protect yourself and others. You will still be required to wear a mask on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States, and in U.S. transportation hubs such as airports and stations. Fully vaccinated international travelers arriving in the United States are still required to get tested within 3 days of their flight (or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months) and should still get tested 3-5 days after their trip.

Yes, that is why I deleted it. Domestic travel = no testing required. International still requires it. No quarantine for either. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

I didn’t realize we *couldn’t* travel if we were unvaccinated. Except, obviously, for cruising.

i should be in jail many times over i guess. sigh. this isnt the first place i saw wrong headlines. if they really wanted us not to travel they could have done it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Im also ready for my first shot , i think enough time has gone by and id like to get the pfizer one (though i may not have a choice)

Im ready to sail either way as i have been already traveling following protocols and no issues. 

VA will be open to anyone in a couple of weeks. Although, your county never follows what the state orders and has their own reservation system. 

18 hours ago, logan25 said:

Wake me up whenever they stop requiring negative testing post-vaccination.

The vaccination does not prevent you from catching (and potentially spreading) Covid. It just keeps you from getting seriously sick. In the news yesterday, the CDC walking back  prior statements on interviews, said that if you are vaccinated and go out and party with someone with COVID, you still have a 30% chance of catching the virus. Probably asymptomatic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wdsted said:

This is great news.  Yesterday, the mayor of Miami said to expect revised guidance from the CDC for cruising.  Fingers crossed, they'll allow it to open up for vaccinated folks soon.  

Here's hoping

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, seaman11 said:

Open up the cruises in florida, its time,  yes there are covid cases but many have been vaccinated already with 2mill a day being added.  

I agree but our wonderful governor banned vaccine cards which conflicts with the CDC guidelines.  Once again politics hurting business and cruises may not resume in Florida as early as other places.

I seriously don't get what is going on.  Its almost like we woke up in the pre-enlightenment era where science and fact were outlawed.  The ruling class told everyone what to believe.  Vaccines have existed for decades and required to enroll in schools and travel to other countries.  Yet governor Deathsantis continues to make every decision governed by politics.  His donors get vaccines first.  He wants to run for the GOP nomination in 2024 so he is crippling the cruise industry in Florida by banning vaccine passport cards.   Real smart.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 8:01 AM, BirdTravels said:

The vaccination does not prevent you from catching (and potentially spreading) Covid. It just keeps you from getting seriously sick. In the news yesterday, the CDC walking back  prior statements on interviews, said that if you are vaccinated and go out and party with someone with COVID, you still have a 30% chance of catching the virus. Probably asymptomatic. 

That's old thinking Bird.  Vaccine studies are still on going but the first few studies have shown the vaccine prevents spread.  Last week the first major study came out of Phizer and Moderna vaccine.  It showed not only did it 90% prevent infection but it also had a very high rate of preventing spread even those who had no symptoms.  So right now the studies are linking the vaccine stops the spread even in those who never would have gotten Covid symptoms.  Granted, this is only one major study but the news last week on several vaccine studies were extremely positive.  Here is just one link to the study report.  Long story short, the vaccine does seem to stop spread even in those who never get symptoms.

CDC: Pfizer, Moderna Vaccines 90% Effective, Real-World Data Shows (businessinsider.com)

• Like 4

On 4/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, seaman11 said:

Open up the cruises in florida, its time,  yes there are covid cases but many have been vaccinated already with 2mill a day being added.  

Except DeSantis just killed cruising by saying no businesses can require proof of vaccine - except the CDC just required that all crews and port personnel be vaccinated. So now there's a conflict for the port personnel.

I just started a new thread about the mess.

• Like 1