Isle of Wight?

We will be staying at Premier Inn West Quay either end of May or mid of June 2022.  There will be 6 adults.

Not sure if we should rent a car for the day?  Is better to rent a car or use Isle of Wight transportation?

I notice there is a stream train on the Isle of Wight.

Should we stay overnight?  Any suggestions for accommodations?

Any Information how to get to the stream train from ferry?

Any Information appreciated.

Edited by phabric

I'm sure you know that the Red Funnel fast-cat (about 30 minutes) to (West) Cowes and the traditional car ferry (60 minutes) to East Cowes both sail from Southampton's Town Quay, just a ten minute walk from PI West Quay.

Travel on the Island is quite slow, it's all single carriageway roads except for one short ( 1,5ml ) section of divided highway. And although buses are quite frequent, bus travel is extremely slow. All bus routes radiate from Newport bus station, so your travel from (West) Cowes or East Cowes starts with a 20-minute ride to Newport. 

If you set your mind on bus travel, I can suggest a few options.  

The Isle of Wight steam railway is only about 5.5 miles long, one of the shortest in the country, and difficult to get to by public transport. It's either by bus from Newport to Wootton station, or by bus from Newport to Ryde then the Island line (standard electric train service, using de-commissioned London underground carriages) to Smallbrook Junction. Round-trip on the train takes about 90 minutes if you get off at Havenstreet station to look at the super little station & exhibits, & carry on on the next train.

With travel to and from, even if you rent a car, I don't think the railway worth the time unless you're on a two-day stay.

https://iwsteamrailway.co.uk/discover/

If you choose a rental car, it'll be significantly cheaper to rent on the Island. Rates are lower than in Southampton, no expensive car charges for the ferry. Plus choice of fast-cat or traditional ferry, earlier start to the day & later finish. 

You'll need a 6 or 7-seater at around £100 per day. Roads on the Island aren't too difficult, but a small car is easier than a large one. So choose the smallest with at least six seats (six in a 5-searter in the UK is a very big no-no)

Again I can suggest routes & places of interest.

If you want to overnite on the Island the most pleasant places but with facilities like shops, restaurants, pubs would be Cowes (not East Cowes) or Shanklin or Ryde, mebbe smaller places like Yarmouth, Godshill, Ventnor, Bembridge, Seaview. Lots of hotels in Sandown but it's very bucket-and-spade, Newport is very bland.

May will be cheaper in all respects, prices go up mid-June (kids' school holidays)

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

My husband and I hired a tour guide to take us around the Isle of Wight for a day.  Her name is Sarah Lang and you can reach her at sarah.robinlang@gmail.com.  We only had one day on the island and we told her the sights that we wanted to visit and she made it happen.  She was  very informative and easy to deal with.  If you are going to be more than one couple, then dividing her cost between you all would be an inexpensive way to see the island.

Barb

• 2 weeks later...

As always JB gives great advice.  We took the Red Funnel fast cat to the Isle of Wight and it was great. We bought our tickets on-line before we left home.  I recommend seeing Queen Victoria's summer house there.  We rode the bus around the island and it was fun.

How long did you stay on the Isle of Wight?  How long was the bus ride? Was it far after the ferry to get the bus?

My brother in law is really into stream trains.

I am wondering if it is worth going over to Isle of Wight for the train?

When we got off the Red Funnel, we had to take a floating bridge and then a short walk to the bus which took us to the Palace in 15 minutes.  On the way back we deliberately took a longer route on a different bus to see more of the island....maybe a half hour ride.  We didn't see the steam train.  It is open for only a few months and not on every day either.  You would have to make sure you got the right time.   We only spent the day on the isle.1326014951_cableferry.thumb.jpg.e75f7b1943b6cd231ab5e57501746f02.jpg