MITSUGIRLY is in Cozumel

mitsugirly

On 5/19/2021 at 8:02 PM, c-leg5 said:

Thanks, have read of various options, just interested to hear your personal experience.

Many air BnB and condo people seem to do the “house visit” route but obviously more expensive. I was wondering if they all used the same type of test and thought with your medical background you might have a preference.

Sky Reef certainly seems to have added a lot more loungers than when it originally opened. Of course  everywhere looks so different at the moment, I wonder how popular/ crowded it is in normal times.Glad you enjoyed the snorkeling there. It looks like one of the easier locations for entering.

Strange check from Sky Reef - were they pulling a fast one, or did you just get the wrong one? Did you pay in US $ all week?

Yea, we did the house visit. It was just easier and convenient for us and were told that the free test were only for those staying at the resort. 

Sky Reef had several different areas and it was pretty cool. I absolutely LOVED how many sea fans there were and it was pretty amazing there. One of the better snorkeling areas I've been to along that area. 

What do you mean pulling a fast one? (I did make a mistake on who ate what so the food items on the check are correct). Are you saying the amount is wrong?

Yes, we paid with US dollars all week. 

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Did you go to Punta Sur one day?

I cannot get any of the links to open again.

No, we did not make it back to Punta Sur this time. We were really trying to do new places (but Punta Sur and Chankanaab was on my radar). 

11 hours ago, imluvncruzn said:

I love your reviews Mitsugirly!  I was in Cozumel April 10th - 17th and stayed at the Melia.  They had people come right to the resort and set up the rapid Covid testing.  You had to make a reservation using a phone app.  They came and did the test and you just sit in the room and wait for your results.  We had ours in about 15 minutes.  No one asked for the test results at the airport.  Also, we did not pay any tax at the airport.  We flew American Airlines.  

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoy them. We also did not pay the tax at the airport nor did they ask for our test results...kinda. We flew SW

11 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks, we won’t be at a hotel and will need to arrange it ourselves although many seem to have someone come to their condo. Was it a nasal swab, or the really deep nasal? Do they ask for your airline - perhaps the results are sent direct?

I have heard several say the tax isn’t being collected.

Just our story: Ours was nasal swab. I'm not sure if ours was deep or not because I don't have anyone to compare to. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

What do you mean pulling a fast one? (I did make a mistake on who ate what so the food items on the check are correct). Are you saying the amount is wrong?

Yes, we paid with US dollars all week. 

I must have misread your description first time round and saw wings on your check but you showed two photos of burritos and the tacos, so I thought the check had the wrong items.

I just wondered if you had exchanged for pesos since you were staying there. I know a lot of cruisers don’t bother and for one day it isn’t worth it. We generally exchange for land vacations and usually have some left over for cruise days. Looking at your check from Sky Reef shows the pesos amount as equivalent to $55. We have found these amounts can add up over a week.

We have had mixed results recently trying to pay for taxis with pesos.

3 hours ago, onlyano said:

I really was interested in reading the rest of your Cozumel trip report, but I can't get past day 7/8. The links are not working on the webpage. 

She hasnt posted day 8 yet, she normally lets us know here when a new post is up 🙂

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 2:14 PM, c-leg5 said:

I must have misread your description first time round and saw wings on your check but you showed two photos of burritos and the tacos, so I thought the check had the wrong items.

I just wondered if you had exchanged for pesos since you were staying there. I know a lot of cruisers don’t bother and for one day it isn’t worth it. We generally exchange for land vacations and usually have some left over for cruise days. Looking at your check from Sky Reef shows the pesos amount as equivalent to $55. We have found these amounts can add up over a week.

We have had mixed results recently trying to pay for taxis with pesos.

I had completely planned on exchanging our money but just never got around to it. Next time we go, I will definitely do it. 

Thanks for the review.

I am glad you got to experience the place and relieved you enjoyed it! As you know it has been on my to do list for a long time. I still think it would be rushed or risky to do as a cruise ship excursion unless you had a really long port day. 

As you say there have not been many reviews over the years. I am not sure what I was expecting either but your snorkeling experience was not exactly what I was expecting. 

I am sorry we didn’t go years ago when I first discovered it. It seems very expensive now although I realize it is a unique experience and they have suffered a lot of set backs. I see from their website they are now offering overnight camping option and cabins coming soon!

Page 8 was definitely worth the wait! You made me feel like I was there with you and your family. As a single traveler, the Pearl Farm is probably a place I will never get to experience. Thanks for taking me along for the trip!

19 hours ago, blarko said:

Does Sakari have tattoos?

Every day and they change daily depending on what design she has in her mind. Leg's, arms, hands... 😉  😄 

19 hours ago, Cscomedygrl said:

Thanks for your review. Will have to check out the pearl farm!

Definitely!

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for the review.

I am glad you got to experience the place and relieved you enjoyed it! As you know it has been on my to do list for a long time. I still think it would be rushed or risky to do as a cruise ship excursion unless you had a really long port day. 

As you say there have not been many reviews over the years. I am not sure what I was expecting either but your snorkeling experience was not exactly what I was expecting. 

I am sorry we didn’t go years ago when I first discovered it. It seems very expensive now although I realize it is a unique experience and they have suffered a lot of set backs. I see from their website they are now offering overnight camping option and cabins coming soon!

I wondered that too when you had mentioned it and it being so far away. But honestly, it's not really the 45 min boat ride because you stop on the way there at the ship wreck and spend some time there. But, I'm sure they make sure that they have the time figured out appropriately to make sure you get back to the ship in time. If you ever  decide you want to try it, Isabel would definitely tell you how it works if you are coming by cruise ship. I did see one other review online (blog) from someone that did it while cruising. 

Yea, I would say the snorkeling isn't really something to focus on for this type of trip. But, that gianormous reef ball or whatever it was called went down (and I'm not good with distances) about 20' and almost to the top. It was insanely big (2 of them) and was very pretty. But not your normal snorkeling. Their "snorkeling" version of the trip is just basically to see their oyster farm. 

Yea, it was very expensive. Did it use to not be this expensive? I did see the overnight camping but definitely no cabins being built or coming soon. They just don't have the money and can't even replace the roof or picture boards for the class. Unless you pitch a tent, I can't see that happening any time soon. 

2 hours ago, onlyano said:

Page 8 was definitely worth the wait! You made me feel like I was there with you and your family. As a single traveler, the Pearl Farm is probably a place I will never get to experience. Thanks for taking me along for the trip!

Aww, thanks. Why would you not get to go as a single traveler? That place would be perfect for the single traveler. 

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

I wondered that too when you had mentioned it and it being so far away. But honestly, it's not really the 45 min boat ride because you stop on the way there at the ship wreck and spend some time there. But, I'm sure they make sure that they have the time figured out appropriately to make sure you get back to the ship in time. If you ever  decide you want to try it, Isabel would definitely tell you how it works if you are coming by cruise ship. I did see one other review online (blog) from someone that did it while cruising. 

Yea, I would say the snorkeling isn't really something to focus on for this type of trip. But, that gianormous reef ball or whatever it was called went down (and I'm not good with distances) about 20' and almost to the top. It was insanely big (2 of them) and was very pretty. But not your normal snorkeling. Their "snorkeling" version of the trip is just basically to see their oyster farm. 

Yea, it was very expensive. Did it use to not be this expensive? I did see the overnight camping but definitely no cabins being built or coming soon. They just don't have the money and can't even replace the roof or picture boards for the class. Unless you pitch a tent, I can't see that happening any time soon. 

I do recall a cruiser review and I am not sure now what ship.

I would only do it on a land vacation - too much risk with currents, storms  and engine failure to work around a port day at that distance from port for me. Maybe if you docked at Punta Langosta, which we rarely do, but unless they could take you back by boat to International too much risk time wise.

I knew there was the informational talk but the day didn’t sound as relaxing as I expected. It was quite a lot cheaper originally but tgat was several years ago. Pity I would like to get to the north end more. 

Not something I would consider but you might like the north lighthouse razor jungle tour in the future since you like excitement. It goes on the other side of the north coast to the light house.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:26 PM, c-leg5 said:

Not something I would consider but you might like the north lighthouse razor jungle tour in the future since you like excitement. It goes on the other side of the north coast to the light house.

YES! That sounds perfect for us and things we like to do. I will definitely have to try that once we go back for another vacation. Always looking for new things to do. Thanks leg!

I wasn't expecting much from your last dive, considering the photos of your snorkeling in that area, but WOW!  From the photos at least, it appears to be your best yet.  So many different sea creatures!  And, yes, Sakari's photos are fantastic!  Thanks so much for again sharing your trip with us.  

Edited by Travelicious
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Travelicious said:

I wasn't expecting much from your last dive, considering the photos of your snorkeling in that area, but WOW!  From the photos at least, it appears to be your best yet.  So many different sea creatures!  And, yes, Sakari's photos are fantastic!  Thanks so much for again sharing your trip with us.  

Yea, I wasn't expecting much at all. I figured it would just be a chance for us to "dive" and me not have any issues and feel good about it. But wow, we just had an amazing time and so much to see!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

Yea, I wasn't expecting much at all. I figured it would just be a chance for us to "dive" and me not have any issues and feel good about it. But wow, we just had an amazing time and so much to see!

Isn’t that where they are doing the coral restoration program that you can take part in? 

Seems a strange area to give permission for building the new pier.