Del Rio Mandates Vax

marieps

NYTimes 4/5/21  "Cruise ships won’t have to require vaccinations when they resume sailing, the C.D.C. says."

"Norwegian Cruise Line, one of the industry’s biggest operators, submitted a letter to the C.D.C. on Monday outlining its plan to resume cruises from U.S. ports in July, which included mandatory vaccination of all guests and crew. The company said that its vaccination requirement and multilayered health and safety protocols exceeded the agency’s Conditional Sailing Order requirements."

well this was the important line from Mr FDR for me:  "outlining its plan to resume cruises from U.S. ports in July, which included mandatory vaccination of all guests and crew. "

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marieps said:

Posted this morning...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-cruise-mandate-covid-19-125930274.html

July start up for NCLH?

Better article here:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24706-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-submits-plan-to-cdc-asks-for-july-4-restart.html
includes the letter and a link to the plan.

Kudos to FDR for a well crafted letter. “July 4th” restart date was a nice touch. And he even threw in a “throwaway” (the 20%/month passenger increase, which gives the CDC something about which to complain).

• Like 2

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

Better article here:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24706-norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-submits-plan-to-cdc-asks-for-july-4-restart.html

Kudos to FDR for a well crafted letter. “July 4th” restart date was a nice touch. And he even threw in a “throwaway” (the 20%/month passenger increase, which gives the CDC something about which to complain).

I thought it was a fabulous letter and Del Rio clearly took the time to get this right. Also, so much easier to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale vs the Caribbean ports others are starting up with.

I especially like who was CC'd on the letter. Included Alaska 😉

A true genius and businessman.  Le't play ball!

• Like 1

LOL. I just realized that it's highly unlikely that we would even sail from a US port. But it's great to know that the corporation will be requiring this worldwide.

• Like 1

NYTimes article points out:

"By making vaccinations a recommendation instead of a requirement, the C.D.C. has avoided conflict with Florida, one of the cruise industry’s biggest bases of operations, which has banned businesses from requiring customers to show proof of vaccinations."    (many of us have opinions about Florida's governor)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Better article here:

Thanks for posting the more extensive article.  Such a difference between a wire service and a trade pub that knows the industry.  FDR was so deferential to CDC.  Hope it works.

19 minutes ago, cbb said:

NYTimes article points out:

"By making vaccinations a recommendation instead of a requirement, the C.D.C. has avoided conflict with Florida, one of the cruise industry’s biggest bases of operations, which has banned businesses from requiring customers to show proof of vaccinations."    (many of us have opinions about Florida's governor)

I don't think the Times has this right.  CDC cannot mandate vaccines under an EUA.  They strongly encouraged cruise lines to 'encourage' vaccinations for crew and PAX.  I read that to mean they want the cruise lines to do the mandating as the CDC cannot.  I don't think CDC was reacting to Florida at all with this.  Once cruise lines start to see 100% vaccinated crews and passengers getting the first conditional sail applications approved other lines will be sure to follow.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't think the Times has this right.  CDC cannot mandate vaccines under an EUA.  They strongly encouraged cruise lines to 'encourage' vaccinations for crew and PAX.  I read that to mean they want the cruise lines to do the mandating as the CDC cannot.  I don't think CDC was reacting to Florida at all with this.  Once cruise lines start to see 100% vaccinated crews and passengers getting the first conditional sail applications approved other lines will be sure to follow.

I think you have it exactly right.  The CDC cannot mandate that all on a cruise ship be vaccinated, but a private entity (cruise line) can mandate that all individuals on their cruise ships be vaccinated.  It is the safest path for all involved.  The fact that FDR stated that children would not be allowed on NCL's ships until they are vaccinated, speaks to their desire to make the ships as safe as possible, even if it means less revenue initially.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cbb said:

well this was the important line from Mr FDR for me:  "outlining its plan to resume cruises from U.S. ports in July, which included mandatory vaccination of all guests and crew. "

Yes for NCLH cruises  but if CDC says  otherwise  how many cruise lines will not require full vacinations

for all

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes for NCLH cruises  but if CDC says  otherwise  how many cruise lines will not require full vacinations

for all

Choices are a beautiful thing for consumers.  🙂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Choices are a beautiful thing for consumers.  🙂

Yes siree

I will  not sail on the main stream lines  so all is good  for me  😉

• Like 2

I know nothing of FDR but will say his letter is quite masterful.  I'm only sad that it was he, and not say Arnold Donald that managed to fire this off first.  What's been missing in the industry IMHO is a willingness to LEAD rather than wait around and follow.  It is simultaneously inspiring and sad to see the smallest of the big 3 holding companies move first.

There's no doubt that cruisers represent the entire spectrum of American opinion is regard to safeguards and vaccines.  I fully respect that some may not wish to sail until life is fully normal (no masks, no vaccines, etc) and such is their right.  On the other hand, the industry has to make some pragmatic choices to get back to sailing and my bet is leadership of this sort can accelerate the process.  Lead NCL, lead.  

Oh, and to those who asked, it is very plain from the more lengthy report that this proposal applies across brands to everything held by NCL Corp.  

It's' now your move CDC . . . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For FDR's plan to work the CDC has to lift the CSO for NCLH ships as its SailSAFE Health and Safety Program does not even come close to satisfying CSO requirements. In fact FDR's letter specifically asks for the order to be lifted. If the CDC were to do that for NCLH they would be forced to do the same for any cruise lines offering a similar program and I suspect that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

What this request does is create a public relations line in the sand, and also begins to lay the foundation for legal action . A scenario just for starters?:

CDC denies the request...

NCL files suit on the grounds that the CDC has provided guidance stating that travel is permissible for vaccinated persons following certain protocols...

CDC counters saying you're only performing antigen tests prior to disembarkation. You'll have to perform PCR tests just as is required for international air travel

I'll stop here and say that it's likely this isn't going to be resolved quickly.

• Like 3

The only problem for Alaska cruises is that British Columbia will not be fully vaccinated by July 4th. Our young people aged 18 to 35 will have hopefully their first dose of the vaccine by the end of June but probably July as Canada is having problems obtaining the vaccine from the USA.  The promised deliveries have been delayed.  I know that we will be receiving our second dose of the vaccine from the end of August to sometime. In October.  There is no way Canada is going to change their mind on border openings until they have their population vaccinated or at least that is what the federal politicians are saying

I doubt the CDC even responds in 180 days. They’ll study it. Send it out to other Agencies for comments, etc. All that before saying NO! 

Suing the government is a long play. These cruise lines don’t have years to wait on lawsuits. 

It’s all about PR and pushing the elected representatives to push the old man in the White House to force movement.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I doubt the CDC even responds in 180 days. They’ll study it. Send it out to other Agencies for comments, etc. All that before saying NO! 

Suing the government is a long play. These cruise lines don’t have years to wait on lawsuits. 

It’s all about PR and pushing the elected representatives to push the old man in the White House to force movement.

It is a brilliant PR move, however. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

I agree that a final verdict would be a long way off, but as soon as a suit is filed they can request the court to issue an injunction while the case plays out in court.  There would be a hearing to examine the CDC's rationale for blocking the cruising and the cruise line gets to show where the CDC rules aren't supported by even their own evidence.  The court could then bar the Federal Government from banning cruises while the case plays out.  By then (hopefully) the pandemic will have ended making the whole case moot.

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I thought it was a fabulous letter and Del Rio clearly took the time to get this right. Also, so much easier to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale vs the Caribbean ports others are starting up with.

I especially like who was CC'd on the letter. Included Alaska 😉

A true genius and businessman.  Le't play ball!

+1

• Thanks 1