NCL tells CDC all crew & passengers to be vaccinated, will HAL, X, Royal do the same?

Gracie115

It's the only way that we will cruise in the near future.

Edit:  what I mean is that we will only cruise if the cruise line makes vaccination mandatory.

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 15

I believe that all cruise lines will mandate this.

Moreover, I can see many other other travel vendors mandating the same as a condition of purchase.  Airlines, AI, tour companies.  At least in the short term.

I suspect that it this mandate may become a condition of entry for some countries.

Does not matter if I like it or support it or whatever.... ?

These businesses and these nations will do what they believe is in the best interest of their business or their nation.    I do not expect to have any say in the matter. 

My choice in the short term will be to get vaccinated or stay home, in my own country.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I will be thrilled to be on a cruise ship knowing that everyone I encounter has been vaccinated.  I'm curious about what, if any, impact Florida's rule forbidding a vaccine requirement with have on Florida ports of call or turnaround calls.  Will cruise lines take a new look at Mobile, Galveston, Baltimore for example?  Will Florida blink?  I do realize those answers are unknowable at this point, but I do still wonder!   

6 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

I will be thrilled to be on a cruise ship knowing that everyone I encounter has been vaccinated.  I'm curious about what, if any, impact Florida's rule forbidding a vaccine requirement with have on Florida ports of call or turnaround calls.  Will cruise lines take a new look at Mobile, Galveston, Baltimore for example?  Will Florida blink?  I do realize those answers are unknowable at this point, but I do still wonder!   

Florida is not "forbidding a vaccine requirement"  the Governor has stated there will be no "vaccine passport" required in the state.

• Like 2

I do not believe that at the end of the day the State of Florida or the Governor of Florida will play any part in the decision of cruise lines to implement covid vaccinations as a condition of passage.  Nor should they.

Or any other State for that matter.    

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Florida is not "forbidding a vaccine requirement"  the Governor has stated there will be no "vaccine passport" required in the state.

While you are correct, the exact wording of his order is a bit more wide ranging and leaves open to question what would happen to a Florida resident who wants or needs a passport in order to travel (e.g., if required by an airline, cruise ship, border check, etc.), since the order specifically states that Florida entities are forbidden from providing them:

“No Florida government entity ... shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual’s COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party, or otherwise publish or share any individual’s COVID-19 vaccination record or similar health information.”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

That one can be a simple work around. By requiring proof of vaccination submitted online by X number of days before departure, there is no need to produce proof of vaccination while inside Florida’s jurisdiction. That would also prevent an additional slow down to the embarkation process and help things flow smoothly without crowds waiting.

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

While you are correct, the exact wording of his order is a bit more wide ranging and leaves open to question what would happen to a Florida resident who wants or needs a passport in order to travel (e.g., if required by an airline, cruise ship, border check, etc.), since the order specifically states that Florida entities are forbidden from providing them:

“No Florida government entity ... shall be permitted to issue vaccine passports, vaccine passes, or other standardized documentation for the purpose of certifying an individual’s COVID-19 vaccination status to a third party, or otherwise publish or share any individual’s COVID-19 vaccination record or similar health information.”

True, but doesn't the card that I have showing my 2 Phizer vaccinations work for the cruiselines?  It was issued by the Florida Department of Health with dates and type of vaccine issued.  

It's also very easy to get a record of all your vaccinations from the Health Department, at least it is in Florida.   

Fauci also just stated that the Federal government won't mandate vaccine passports. 

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Fauci also just stated that the Federal government won't mandate vaccine passports. 

Not mandating them is not the same thing as forbidding agencies to create/use them.

I am just looking ahead to the future where I could see certain authorities requiring some proof that is more difficult to duplicate/fake/alter than a card...

10 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You need to reread this!  It applies to normal Society social activities such as Restaurants, Theme Parks, Arenas, etc.

I believe and hope the Cruise Lines will require the Vaccine.  RCL and Celebrity are requiring it for their Nassau Itineraries for 18 yrs and older so if Cruises ever resume they will probably keep the same requirements.  Now that more 16 - 18 yr olds are getting Vaccinated in many States they may lower it to 16 yrs and up.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I just did re-read it. I still feel there is much that is open to interpretation. 

It spelled out in black and white regarding attending Sporting Events, Restaurants, Movie Theaters, etc.  Also, go back and read Section 2.

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not mandating them is not the same thing as forbidding agencies to create/use them.

I am just looking ahead to the future where I could see certain authorities requiring some proof that is more difficult to duplicate/fake/alter than a card...

I understand what you are saying but I really am not concerned at this point.  I believe the cruiselines will accept the cards and/or vaccination records provided by the state.  And if they need more I also believe the Florida will make sure it's 1'000's of citizens that love to cruise have whatever they need to do so.

I just read a story that the passport idea in the UK is getting quite a bit of backlash from citizens and with Fauci also saying no mandate for passports, I don't see most states issuing them either.  Whether they come out as firmly as Desantis, who knows? 

• Like 2

I believe the issue with forged covid cards is a bit of a red herring. 

My guess is that some may do it but the percentage will be minimal. 

In Canada, we have already caught, and will be prosecuting, those who have come into the county with falsified covid test results.  NOT with the wrong test,  but with falsified tests.   

Apparently they are selling these forgeries on the beaches in DR and Mexico.

You cannot fix stupid.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, iancal said:

I believe the issue with forged covid cards is a bit of a red herring. 

My guess is that some may do it but the percentage will be minimal. 

In Canada, we have already caught, and will be prosecuting, those who have come into the county with falsified covid test results.  NOT with the wrong test,  but with falsified tests.   

Apparently they are selling these forgeries on the beaches in DR and Mexico.

You cannot fix stupid.

Unfortunate but true.....

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

You don't seem to understand that the EO by DeSantis is regards to normal Society activities such as Theme Parks, Restaurants, Movie Theaters, etc. There is no reason Cruise Ships won't be sailing from Florida once the CDC gives the "Green Light".  DeSantis has his Attorney General prepared to Sue the CDC in order to allow these Ships to Sail from the four Ports in his State and has been working with and very supportive of the Cruise Lines to begin Sailing again.

If you want to be on a Cruise Ship knowing that everyone you encountered has been Vaccinated then you won't be booking on Cruise Lines that allow Children onboard.  As of now they won't have a Vaccine for those under 16 yrs old until sometime close to the end of 2022.  Of course, this could change!

• Like 3

I think the letter NCLH's CEO Del Rio sent to the CDC director is great. They are requesting a start date of July 4! As per the letter, "because our return to service plan mandates that the entire population onboard our vessels be vaccinated, our plan reduces the risk of outbreaks and severe COVID-19 cases. Accordingly, we will not require federal, state or local governments to incur time and/or resources in providing medical assistance to our brands’ guests." This requirement specified in the CDC's most recent guidance for reopening cruising from U.S. ports was going to be an expensive, onerous, and very slow process. Hopefully, the CDC will agree that it's largely unnecessary if everyone is vaccinated.

Let's hope the CDC responds to Del Rio's letter and this leads to the resumption of cruising from U.S. ports. If NCLH gets the green light, you can be 100 percent sure all other cruise lines will follow suit.

• Like 5

One item that I see the CDC changing of what is proposed by NCLH is the initial reduced capacity. The letter mentions beginning with 60% reduced capacity. I believe that if they are granted permission (among other qualifying factors) it will be more like 40% reduced capacity. The reason being that it is  how they have sailed with 400,000 passengers. It has not been with full ships.

Quantum of the Seas has been sailing from Singapore at 50% reduced capacity. There recently was a request to increase to 65%. Also MSC has been sailing continually with a reduced capacity of 1,600-1,800 passengers. The capacity of the MSC Grandiosa is normally 4842 passengers double occupancy with 6334 maximum capacity. I doubt in near term that we will see sailings of more than a maximum of 85% capacity due to space required to quarantine passengers/crew in case there is a breakout of infection. The vaccines are 90-95% effective as that means that you would still have a 5-10% chance of contracting the virus.

If all crew and passengers must be vaccinated, why are any other protocols or changes needed?  Why should it not be 100% capacity with no masks, full buffets, complete freedom for shore excursions on your own, etc.?

• Haha 1