recent increase in prices?

rodndonna

We booked the 11 night S. Caribbean Wayfarer for January 2022 on NS just 3 months ago.  The price rose a bit but there's been a huge jump in the past few weeks.  Our VD balcony cabin went up a total of $1820 for the two of us (almost 39%).   AND, the promotion we got also included gratuities.  There's no way we'd pay that much for a cruise if we were looking to book now.   [Neptune Suites have been sold out for awhile and SSs had few left, so guess this is a popular cruise]

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, KAKcruiser said:

I haven't seen any private (mariner) fares in a long time.  Are they around?

Yes...

For the last month or so when logged in I've had a few Europe private sales mostly on the N. Statendam , and also almost all the 7 day Oct- Nov-Dec 2021  Mexican Riviera dates on the Koningsdam

All the private sale pricing has been only on "cruise only" fares, with all the Veranda or Have it all  promo's still at full price

Edited by srpilo

The days of cruise pricing that we have seen in recent years are over.

Pricing will resemble what sailing on the seven seas once was during the mid and late 20th Century.  First Class and Cabin Class type fares are what I am specifically referencing.  That is what is my crystal ball is telling me.  

When, if, this pandemic is sufficiently over and the full fleets (of whatever ships remain) of the cruise lines are sailing, competition will restart.  Only then will the "cruise deals" of yesteryear may return.  

• Like 1

Re-checked our May 28 day cruise and it has indeed gone up around 8%

There are not a lot of cabins available in our category or the one I was hoping for an upsell to so it appears to be selling well.

• Like 1

Same here - both my December 2021 and February 2022 (solo occupancy, ocean view staterooms) are $800 higher than when I booked, and would include fewer perks if I was booking now.  Looking ahead to an unbooked November 2022 sailing, the prices are at that same high level, with no perks at all (just "flexible fare").  

Sue/WDW1972

We booked Hawaii on Koningsdam    .Feb 2 ,2022  18 night,Dec 2020   .My wife's cousin was thinking of joining us but ,the price shot up $1000 on  the least expensive balcony cabin now available.The perks are still the same 

It's all supply/demand based.  I'm booked on the 11/5/22 WB transatlantic on Westerdam.  We booked shortly after the sailing opened for bookings and fares have not moved up or down since.

Meanwhile my March 2022 sailing on Enchanted Princess has gone up significantly in price since we booked, so it's a gamble!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

It's all supply/demand based.  I'm booked on the 11/5/22 WB transatlantic on Westerdam.  We booked shortly after the sailing opened for bookings and fares have not moved up or down since.

Meanwhile my March 2022 sailing on Enchanted Princess has gone up significantly in price since we booked, so it's a gamble!

I wonder if it's simply a supply and demand issue. Looking at the webs sites for HAL and two online travel agencies, the majority of cabins near ours (in the same class) are still available. Nevertheless the fare is up 28% in two months.

1 minute ago, IPB4IGO said:

I wonder if it's simply a supply and demand issue. Looking at the webs sites for HAL and two online travel agencies, the majority of cabins near ours (in the same class) are still available. Nevertheless the fare is up 28% in two months.

While there may be numerous unallocated cabins we never know how many rooms on any particular sailing will have been sold as guarantees.  It seem like HAL sell a lot more guarantee rooms than some other lines do.  Also, there may be other categories of rooms that are more heavily booked.  HAL looks at the overall picture when they do fare increases it seems, and less at the specific letter code of room.

Additionally, with projected Covid related occupancy restrictions at restart, a lot of rooms may show unallocated but there may be far fewer rooms actually for sale by the #s.  HAL does not seem to be blocking out entire sections of inventory, but rather closing a category when they reach the max # of rooms they want to sell based on projected occupancy restrictions.

They also have historical data to know where in the booking curve of most sailings they can increase pricing or need to decrease pricing without affect demand, or spurring additional demand if needed.

In short is not as simple as what we see vs what is going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Additionally, with projected Covid related occupancy restrictions at restart, a lot of rooms may show unallocated but there may be far fewer rooms actually for sale by the #s.  HAL does not seem to be blocking out entire sections of inventory, but rather closing a category when they reach the max # of rooms they want to sell based on projected occupancy restrictions.

I had thought that too.- about covid restrictions and limited capacity but...

We were originally on a Zuiderdam sailing that became a Volendam sailing (Zuiderdam was supposed to go to Alaska - we all know how that went).

So, after carefully choosing my cabin, I ended up with being moved as if I had booked a guarantee.  Not a location I would ever book on an R class ship.

Long story short - my TA got nowhere changing and my calls to HAL sounded like there were cabins but of course it’s you have to go through your TA.  So I sent an email to HAL with the simple question that if cabins were not booked because of covid precautions could they help in how my TA can get me re-assigned.

I got an email back from the Office of the President Reconciliation person (guess everyone is covering everyone - I wasn’t complaining) stating that ll the cabins in my category were booked.  Same thing with the Vista Suites.

Not sure what they will do if they have to follow certain protocols.  The Zuiderdam is bigger than the Volendam for sure which explains part of it but it does sound like the NS and Vista are full on our ship.

Maybe those cabins are big enough to meet the requirements?  Not sure nor am I sure if this cruise will go in November 😉 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:37 AM, kdakda said:

We booked the 11 night S. Caribbean Wayfarer for January 2022 on NS just 3 months ago.  The price rose a bit but there's been a huge jump in the past few weeks.  Our VD balcony cabin went up a total of $1820 for the two of us (almost 39%).   AND, the promotion we got also included gratuities.  There's no way we'd pay that much for a cruise if we were looking to book now.   [Neptune Suites have been sold out for awhile and SSs had few left, so guess this is a popular cruise]

Wow! Good news, bad news? The good news is it looks like passengers are ready to return. Bad news? You will have to pay a premium if you haven't booked already. 

5 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Bad news? You will have to pay a premium if you haven't booked already. 

Bad news?  No, it is an indication that basic economic theory is in better shape than the health of the world's Nations as to defeating Covid-19.

The principle of "Supply and Demand" remains valid.  

H'mmm...I'm kinda with @Hlitner on this one.  I think prices are high because of all the FCCs out there.  We have been getting some exceptionally aggressive pitches from a newly assigned PCC, so I don't believe that new bookings are flying off the shelves.  We've never before experienced this kind of "pressure."

Our sailing in June of 22 has gone down, by ten whole dollars.  I look at the  prices at least twice a week and will rebook if there is a decent amount of money involved, but it's not worth it to me for $10.

7 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

We have been getting some exceptionally aggressive pitches from a newly assigned PCC, so I don't believe that new bookings are flying off the shelves.  We've never before experienced this kind of "pressure."

It might be that people are not using PCC’s as much as well? Especially a new PCC they don’t “know”?  With the rules that were implemented about transferring cruises to TA’s, many who did switch are now booking directly with their TA.  

I was just talking to my TA a couple of days ago and she is very busy with bookings.

• Like 1

We see some cruise prices going up.  

We are experiencing the opposite for land based resorts.  Getting lots of reduced prices offers from land based resorts for stays thru to April '22. 

January air on one of our hopeful trips was reduced by 25 percent last week on a preferred airline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

It will be interesting to see how the latest "nearly all inclusive" prices will affect the pricing structures.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/holland-america-line-introduces-have-it-all-premium-package

Do you or does anyone know if they are going to convert all Have it all Sailings to the additional perks?  I will of course have my TA ask but if anyone knows, we are all ears.

Edited by Mary229