Oasis or Mardi Gras

gcbranscome

On 4/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, gcbranscome said:

... We have decided to go on the Oasis! 

Howdy @gcbranscome! emo22.gif

Wanted to let you know the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date will be the place for you to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you before the cruise. Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before.

Also, the Roll Call thread for your cruise is the only place on Cruise Critic where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions, transportation etc. with each other to 💲ave money. That is ... if COVID-19 protocol allows by then. There is a "captive audience" since you are all sailing together! emo3.gif You will receive a much better response to your share request if you take some time to read the entire Roll Call thread, post an introductory post about yourself, and continue on with more posts back and forth to get to know the other thread members and allow them to get to know you first before you post your share request. That is the spirit of our Roll Calls. emo34.gif

To explain our Roll Calls and finding the Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call if one has not been started for your ship & sail date. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines.

After your cruise, be sure to submit your review for publication. See How To: Submit a Member ReviewMany cruisers will benefit from your experience as a first time cruiser! Also, those of us that have taken many cruises will get to "see" things through your eyes and remind ourselves the joy of our first cruise.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

On 4/12/2021 at 6:55 PM, gcbranscome said:

Wow....thanks so much for all this information!! As I said earlier I thought the Mardi Gras was going to win out, but as of last night our family decided that because my kids and husband are so active and I’ve been dying to go on this class, we have chosen the Oasis! We are booked and ready for next May! 

Good choice. You’ll love the ship and the 3 vs 12 hour drive home after, mark my words. I don’t mean to criticize people’s choices but it seems madness to me to travel 4 times as far for a roughly equivalent ship and marginally better itinerary. If I lived 3 hours from a port, guess where all my cruises would depart? Yes. That port!! As it stands Baltimore, at elevenish hours, is the shortest drive for us, about 90 minutes closer than NYC, New Orleans, or Mobile. In other words, all far enough to just fly in most cases. My algorithm is that anything 6 hours or less is better to drive, between about 6 and 10 is a toss up depending on budget and timing, and at ten plus the expense and inconvenience of flying are probably worth it unless the road trip itself is part of the point of the journey.

Enjoy your first cruise on one of the greatest boats afloat! And don’t call it a boat. It’s a ship, Love Boat TV show notwithstanding.