CDC Hints US Cruising Could Start Mid-Summer - How Soon Would You Cruise?

CCAubs

How Soon Would You Cruise? CDC Says Cruising from US Could Start as Soon as Mid-Summer  

10 members have voted

1. 1. With the CDC hinting that cruising from the US could return as soon as mid-summer, how soon would you consider taking a cruise?

• Within the next three months
    • 4-6 months from now
    • 7-9 months from now
    • 10-12 months from now
    • 1-2 years from now
    • More than two years from now
    • I'm not sure.
    • I won't be cruising again.

This poll is closed to new votes

Since we saw little benefit in buying a pig in a poke, we made other plans, and will fill our travel time this year and next with land vacations. So our next cruise will likely not be earlier than Jan/Feb '23.

• 4 weeks later...

We will cruise only if 100% crew and passenger vaccination.  Do not understand the CDC 98% crew and 95% passenger requirement.  Is there anyone who knows the justification for the CDC reasoning?

1 hour ago, ltcpda said:

We will cruise only if 100% crew and passenger vaccination.  Do not understand the CDC 98% crew and 95% passenger requirement.  Is there anyone who knows the justification for the CDC reasoning?

I presume they are leaving some wiggle room for crew or passengers who are truly unable to get vaccinated due to medical reasons 

16 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I presume they are leaving some wiggle room for crew or passengers who are truly unable to get vaccinated due to medical reasons 

I think that they want the cruise lines to aim for 100%. The 95%, 98% allows them to not be noncompliant if a few slip through despite them doing their due diligence. JMHO. 

40 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think that they want the cruise lines to aim for 100%. The 95%, 98% allows them to not be noncompliant if a few slip through despite them doing their due diligence. JMHO. 

if they are doing their due diligence by requiring proof of vaccination; and everyone shows proof. Then they would be no need to have a ‘slip through’ percentage. There’s no slip through percentage for people boarding without proper documentation (passport or BC/DL). Might someone show a fake card? Sure as someone might show a fake passport. But there’s no real way for the cdc or cruise line to anticipate what percentage of people may show a fake vaccine card if everyone is required to show proof of vaccine. I think that they are saying that the cruise lines need to see proof of vaccine from at least 95% of the passengers. Which would leave them some room to accept passengers with medical exemptions. Like there are only so many handicap rooms per ship there will only be so many people granted vaccine exemptions.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Which would leave them some room to accept passengers with medical exemptions. Like there are only so many handicap rooms per ship there will only be so many people granted vaccine exemptions.

The concept of exemptions (for VALID reasons)  makes sense when dealing with necessary activity, such as air travel or education — but not so much when it comes to utterly recreational activity like cruising.   I am not clear about whether proof of vaccination is important - but if it is, it does not make sense to allow exemptions.

• Like 2

When we don't have to wear a mask outside our cabin. Maybe late winter or next summer. Right now none booked. Not going to give the lines a free loan with their large deposits and too much uncertainty.

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Cruise lines are pretty clear that cruising won't happen in the US with the CDC's reign. NCL's CEO was pretty clear that they will have to leave the US with the CDC as it is now and I don't blame them.

NCL's del Rio was even clearer that they won't cruise from Florida because of the Gov's decree that businesses can't mandate proof of vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The concept of exemptions (for VALID reasons)  makes sense when dealing with necessary activity, such as air travel or education — but not so much when it comes to utterly recreational activity like cruising.   I am not clear about whether proof of vaccination is important - but if it is, it does not make sense to allow exemptions.

Obviously with a 95% vaccinated rate they are accounting for very few exemptions. But if you say planned a family cruise with your spouse for next year and she was advised by her doctor not to have the vaccine due to severe allergies; now your entire family cruise can't happen unless they allow a handful of exemptions. 

On 4/6/2021 at 11:26 PM, ldubs said:

I said 10-12 months.  Just throwing darts.  Will watch the situation develop and go from there.    

I am sticking with 9 months after cruises start - figuring 1) it will take that long for the lines to figure things out and 2) on letting all the addicted loony toons get their cruise fix so I won’t be sailing with a shipload of them.