Azamara Internet and WIFI quality

clojacks

I honestly have tried and tried to narrow a search of this down on CruiseCritics board, but I don't seem to be able to figure out a way to restrict my search to strictly Azamara's board. If anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I have to say, CC's search function used to be way more functional. That being said, I have a question....

We are considering a back to back on Azamara in Norway and the British Isles for 2022, and with multiple young grandchildren at home back in the states, we want to be able to maintain contact using Facetime, Google Duo, etc. We prefer to use the ships service, as we will likely use it for other things anyway, as opposed to an international plan for our phone or an international SIM card. How is Azamara's quality for WIFI phone service? Is it capable of Facetime type contacts? I'm a little disappointed to learn of the loss of a relationship between Celebrity and Azamara, as our status with Celebrity would have softened the Internet bill considerably.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clojacks said:

I honestly have tried and tried to narrow a search of this down on CruiseCritics board, but I don't seem to be able to figure out a way to restrict my search to strictly Azamara's board. If anyone has suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I have to say, CC's search function used to be way more functional. That being said, I have a question....

We are considering a back to back on Azamara in Norway and the British Isles for 2022, and with multiple young grandchildren at home back in the states, we want to be able to maintain contact using Facetime, Google Duo, etc. We prefer to use the ships service, as we will likely use it for other things anyway, as opposed to an international plan for our phone or an international SIM card. How is Azamara's quality for WIFI phone service? Is it capable of Facetime type contacts? I'm a little disappointed to learn of the loss of a relationship between Celebrity and Azamara, as our status with Celebrity would have softened the Internet bill considerably.

In answer to the first question, yes. The CC search function is hard to use. If you click on "topic" it will enable you to bring up cruise lines individually. 

In answer to the second question, it varies. I've been on Azamara to Norway and it wasn't great because of where you are in terms of latitude. The higher up you are the more of an angle to the satellite was how it was explained to me. As you get back towards the British Isles it should be better.  I've had very good speeds in some parts of the world.and been able to stream music and video no problems, but of course no guarantee. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

A quick response, who knows if or what changes might be made to the IT set up which would make it better than it is because to be honest wifi is not Azamara's strongest point.  Two of the ships were due to dry dock this year so an upgrade could happen.  They will also be free from Royal provider constraints However, I have had no issue using FaceTime on Azamara in the past even in remote South America.  Bear in mind, as you are going to Norway you need to recognise that with fjords and remote locations wifi is not good even on land so a phone plan also has limitations (as has the ships wifi).

Lets hope though that the reciprocity to Celebrity in terms of onboard benefits lasts until you go as you would get some internet benefits.

PS I agree, the search function on these boards now is not a patch on what it was

1 minute ago, uktog said:

A quick response, who knows if or what changes might be made to the IT set up which would make it better than it is because to be honest wifi is not Azamara's strongest point.  Two of the ships were due to dry dock this year so an upgrade could happen.  They will also be free from Royal provider constraints However, I have had no issue using FaceTime on Azamara in the past even in remote South America.  Bear in mind, as you are going to Norway you need to recognise that with fjords and remote locations wifi is not good even on land so a phone plan also has limitations (as has the ships wifi).

Lets hope though that the reciprocity to Celebrity in terms of onboard benefits lasts until you go as you would get some internet benefits.

PS I agree, the search function on these boards now is not a patch on what it was

As I was told this morning, the relationship disappeared in February, so that nice little part is gone. Oh well.

Using the present setup, and in reasonably hospitable latitudes, we found FaceTime and Google Duo chancy at best.

Of course they worked better if docked and if many of the passengers were onshore.

Otherwise we made do without the visual aspect.

• Like 1

I’d agree with all the comments here, especially in relation to Norway, very patchy and slow wifi on our Norway cruise.

I’d also say that if you want to make quite a lot of use of Wifi it’s worth buying an unlimited package. If you buy minutes they soon disappear as logging on and off is quite slow and cumbersome.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

We sat next to a couple at dinner one night. The lady had convinced her partner to come on the cruise on the understanding he could use the suite as a home office for some of the day. The slow wifi was a very sore bone of contention between them. I think they just assumed that it would be the same as some of the 'zoom' services they had on other lines. I would buy the unlimited package with the understanding that it can be patchy and might only allow for email or slow browsing. Maybe the new Azamara will be investing in the wifi onboard?

• Like 1

Royals Zoom internet is amazing!  I agree about the unlimited. It's too stressful to buy minutes if the system happens to be slow on your cruise.  I know of one very frequent Azamara cruiser who won't do a Norwegian cruise because he requires internet access to carry on his business. If they do a b2b2b and more as they do they will miss out the Norwegian leg.  

It's hugely expensive to upgrade the internet and I just don't think it's going to be a priority for the new owner either. Being a destination cruiseline with generally much time spent in port there it's not high on the list. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always remember you are sharing the link to the satellite with the other passengers.  If some world event blows up and everyone wants to get the details, service per user will be slowed. 

I've clipped the following from the Azamara web site for you:

Tips for Connectivity at Sea

The Internet service you’ll find on board via Wi-Fi and at eConnections is provided by a satellite connection. This connection can be affected by several factors that can interrupt or slow down Internet service on the ship. While natural features like Icelandic fjords are breathtaking to view, the high rock walls can block the satellite signal. This signal can also be blocked by large buildings when in port. Changing the ship’s course at sea can also cause temporary connection issues. The following tips will help you make the most of your time (and money) while online.

Connect at off-peak times: Increased users will limit bandwidth available on board. Try connecting to the Internet in the evening when fewer users will be online, or in port when most travelers are off ship.

Avoid bandwidth-heavy services: Using social media to stay in touch doesn’t take up much bandwidth, but video streaming services can be a drain on the ship’s available bandwidth and cause connectivity issues for all on board.

Compose messages offline: Write emails or social media posts in a word processing or notepad application before going online. Once you’re connected, copy and paste the message to send quickly and easily.

Be patient: Our ships can only connect to one dedicated satellite to provide Internet service onboard. Because we don’t have the ability to hop to another satellite, any slow downs or disruptions in service won’t be remedied until the ship moves.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Looks like this is the only thread I found using the search function. Since the last post it is over a year now , I was wondering how the Wi-Fi situation is currently on the ships. Is it good to work (emails, chats , but no video conference) on a sea day in the Mediterranean Sea ( from south of France to Barcelona) . There is unfortunately one day I would need to work. Any views are much appreciated . 

Would they be close enough to shore to get a land-based cell connection?  I just switched my [US] cell plan to T-Mobile [owned by Deutsche Telecom] because they offer free international data and use of the phone as an internet hotspot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Would they be close enough to shore to get a land-based cell connection?  I just switched my [US] cell plan to T-Mobile [owned by Deutsche Telecom] because they offer free international data and use of the phone as an internet hotspot.

Certainly off Spain it’s a no sorry

12 hours ago, PhilK2000 said:

Thank you so far . The firewall is not the problem , I have a work laptop and can access my work network with it .
I only need stable internet . 

It’s certainly not stable!  Even the ship staff have issues when trying to access shoreside operations eg future cruise sales. 
The ship will always aim to stay 12 miles out at sea as that allows shops etc to open and certainly in Spain 4g was so patchy and you’d to watch you didn’t default to the eye wateringly expensive maritime network 

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a few hours on the last day trying to take our Binax Now COVID tests and flight checkin before finally giving up. Fortunately, we had taken advantage of Azamara’s tests in the morning, but wanted to check in for our flights before the 7 p.m. time that we were told we would receive our results by.

• Thanks 1

We did the Journey in AUS/NZ right prior to the COVID shutdown.   The internet was unusable.   It was dropping packets continually which is death to getting any traffic through.    All the staff could do is suggest I wasn't set up right (I was) and to offer a partial refund.    I just waited until we were close to shore and used my cell tether.

Did the Quest transatlantic in March and bought the unlimited Wi-Fi package. 
logging on and off/switching devices felt much easier and quicker than in the past. 
Was great for WhatsApp/iMessage.  Even FaceTime and WhatsApp video calling was perfect.
Web browsing was a frustrating nightmare and gave up trying. 
Email seemed hit and miss. Sometimes sent, other times just sat in the outbox.

My overall feeling is that the cost is way over the top considering the ability to use the service in a meaningful way.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back in late November, early December of 2022 we cruised on the Quest - our very first Azamara cruise - and loved it.  We're going on Azamara again in March (2024) - this time on the Pursuit.  The only negative we had with the Quest was very poor internet service.  Even the crew admitted it was very bad, and we were told that a serious upgrade was in the works.  Does anyone know if that was done for the Quest and, more importantly (for us), is the internet service on the Pursuit good?

9 minutes ago, RonWL said:

Back in late November, early December of 2022 we cruised on the Quest - our very first Azamara cruise - and loved it.  We're going on Azamara again in March (2024) - this time on the Pursuit.  The only negative we had with the Quest was very poor internet service.  Even the crew admitted it was very bad, and we were told that a serious upgrade was in the works.  Does anyone know if that was done for the Quest and, more importantly (for us), is the internet service on the Pursuit good?

We did Quest 5/5/2023-6/2/2023.  The Wifi service was notably better than it was during our 2022 Italy cruise on the same ship.  I'm told it was the change to Starlink vs the prior satellite service.  No idea what Pursuit has.

6 minutes ago, Aardvaark said:

We did Quest 5/5/2023-6/2/2023.  The Wifi service was notably better than it was during our 2022 Italy cruise on the same ship.

They said the upgrade was coming in March - and it looks like they were right.  Sure hope this upgrade was to all the ships.

3 minutes ago, RonWL said:

They said the upgrade was coming in March - and it looks like they were right.  Sure hope this upgrade was to all the ships.

There's a long thread here. 

The bad news is that it seems to vary hugely across ships, even when docked next to each other.  The good news - for you - is that Pursuit seems to be one of the good ones.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

There's a long thread here. 

The bad news is that it seems to vary hugely across ships, even when docked next to each other.  The good news - for you - is that Pursuit seems to be one of the good ones.

On Pusuit now, and the Wifi is the speediest and most reliable that I’ve ever experienced on a ship. Must be Starlink and it’s great. 

• Like 5