Buffets on Celebrity

Rkbmr73

On 4/8/2021 at 11:21 AM, Rkbmr73 said:

Will there be self serve buffets when cruises resume?

Probably not, or at least if it continues I suspect pax will not handle any serving utensils. As a related issue, I wonder what will happen with 'expanded continental breakfasts' in hotels - one of my favorite things about DIY road trips. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I think cruise lines were looking for a reason to stop self-serve without the backlash that always follows a change.  They use to do this with Noro outbreaks, and we were told there was 20% less food waste when they went to serving passengers.  Reasonable sixed portions are served unless requested for more or less food.  One can always go back again (and again) if more food is desired. 

• Like 3

Absolutely.  People in cruises are sometimes gluttons.  I remember when they changed from 8 shrimp to 4 in a shrimp cocktail.  Would have thought the World was ending.  Sad those whiners did not simply ask politely for a many shrimp as they would eat.

Always a shame to see food wasted.

Celebrity has been doing this for sometime at the evening stir fry station at the buffet.  You simply point out what you want in your stir fry, as much as you want.  The staff fills your bowl and then stir fries it.  They give you the bowl and you take it to your table (this is the first time you have touched this food).  Never a problem and we think very delicious.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

So much better!  People sometimes use their fingers and pick out the exact piece of bacon they want-  I have also seen people put rolls, etc back.  Ugh

I have seen people touching the bread to choose the one they like best.

And something totally disgusting people blowing their noses with the napkins.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:08 PM, OnTheJourney said:

Probably not, or at least if it continues I suspect pax will not handle any serving utensils. As a related issue, I wonder what will happen with 'expanded continental breakfasts' in hotels - one of my favorite things about DIY road trips. 

We just did road trip from Pa to Florida and hit two hotel buffets for breakfast, same chain. The first was in N.Carolina and there were only a few items most packaged. pretty much just Yogurt and fruit.  The Florida one was the same as pre COVID, bacon, eggs, oatmeal and I made my own waffle.

16 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

I have seen people touching the bread to choose the one they like best.

And something totally disgusting people blowing their noses with the napkins.

Disgusting for sure.  Cultural differences are funny though, in many tapas bars in Spain, the custom is for your used napkin to be tossed on the floor along with small remnants of the food, and always eaten by hand.  That said, such food is served to you, others do not touch it before it arrives on your plate. 

18 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

😀

So you don't trust that the bread is freshly baked, and / or that the food is freshly made.

How can you tell if the roll is warm without touching it? 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was talking to a staff member in the OV Cafe who was from a third world country.  He also worked in other food venues, MDR and specialty dining.  He said it is heartbreaking to see how much good food is thrown away.  In his opinion the typical Celebrity  cruiser is a wasteful glutton.  In his country so many people are starving or on the verge of starvation.  I'll be the first to admit that I eat and drink more than is healthy for me on a cruise.  But my dog, I always clean my plate.  I have seen people walk away from full plates of food in the OV Cafe (to be kind, maybe they weren't feeling well).  Please don't waste food, it is truly sinful.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keesar said:

How can you tell if the roll is warm without touching it? 🙃

How can I tell if the soup is warm without sticking my finger into it! I like your idea of touching pretty much all the food and then just leaving it. Not sure what an upside down smiley face means, but I hope it means your comments are all in jest. 

Den

The idea of single plating in the buffet is definitely the direction to go.  The spa cafe has done this for years and you may have as may salads, wraps, fruit, etc..that you want no problem.  There has always been few people there on embarkation day and it avoids the crowds/scooter driving madness of OV. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

How can I tell if the soup is warm without sticking my finger into it! I like your idea of touching pretty much all the food and then just leaving it. Not sure what an upside down smiley face means, but I hope it means your comments are all in jest. 

Den

The soup is warm if the fly in your soup is doing the backstroke. 😀

Edited by RedneckBob

I remember going to a local restaurant and my dad saw a fly in his cup of soup. I think he was doing the butterfly.... After notifying the waiter, the waiter replied. "No charge for the fly today".  (He brought  him a bowl of soup versus a cup).  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 2:52 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

Some of the better Vegas buffets (Wicked Spoon at Cosmopolitan, Bacchanal at Caesars) went primarily to single serve dishes a while back.

Instead of picking up a spoon or tongs and ladling out a serving of food, food is pre-plated into small portions that you grab and put onto your plate. You'll get a little basket of fish and chips, a small dish of meatballs, etc. It's much MUCH better than the steam tray experience, is much more sanitary, and probably cuts down on food waste for the buffets too.

Actually Celebrity tried to do this in the buffet sometime in the past 5-10 years. It didn't really go over that well. I'm sure others remember it. 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:13 PM, Husky61 said:

Since we don't eat in the buffet ever, it really doesn't matter to us.

For the life of me I can't figure why you would need to post to this thread then. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ORV said:

Actually Celebrity tried to do this in the buffet sometime in the past 5-10 years. It didn't really go over that well. I'm sure others remember it. 

For the life of me I can't figure why you would need to post to this thread then. 

I agree, prior to pandemic, it was their loss. Celebrity’s buffet especially a couple of times for dinner are as good as MDR.

I hope they do it like "Boston Market" style - where the food is all on the buffet but can only be accessed from the back - the attendant dishes up what you want and hands you your plate.  Would be much more sanitary. I once watched a large family group remove serving trays from the buffet and take them to their table.  They returned them to the buffet once the family was finished grabbing things off the platter.  This was on the Suez Canal cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 7:13 AM, cheraz said:

The idea of single plating in the buffet is definitely the direction to go.  The spa cafe has done this for years and you may have as may salads, wraps, fruit, etc..that you want no problem.  There has always been few people there on embarkation day and it avoids the crowds/scooter driving madness of OV. 😀

This is our choice on embarkation day also.