Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

12 hours ago, ohiojohn said:

it gets worse, ask your insurance broker this specific question “ Does my policy cover all my 12 days of Quarantine expense at a Hotel/Resort which is dictated by the Bermuda government” .  Not 12 days in a hospital but 12 days at a Hotel/Resort. Then ask how many days of coverage do I have after my cruise is over, which is referred to as continuation of coverage.

I contacted a company I had used in the past with this question.  Here is their response:

"The quarantine coverage under our policies are designed to provide coverage if a traveler were to contract Covid-19 and have to quarantine due to being ill."

So, if you were sent into quarantine due to exposure, but without a positive test, I believe there is no coverage based on that language.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, ohiojohn said:

Last Sunday, my son went into the ER, they kept him overnight.  The gold standard  PCR test was given to him as a requirement for his admission.  He tested positive and was put on a Covid floor.  The next day the Hospital drew blood and tested him for antibodies.  The antibody test cleared him from Covid.  So my wife using her nursing background did extensive research on Covid false positives.  I have no beef with anyone going on these Bermuda cruises.  I booked knowing of the restrictions and face mask wearing.  But frankly I was not aware of false positives and the firm 14 day quarantine  by the Bermuda government.  So as others have said they are reviewing their risk tolerance as we are.  However small the odds are of us having a breakthrough case, maybe at this junction other vacation locations in the USA may fit our risk tolerance at this time.  Just our thoughts at this time, as we are reading this thread.

Did your wife's research reveal anything about false negatives?  I'm just curious how it is determined that the positive result was in error and not the subsequent negative one. It seems to me that if the test isn't 100% reliable it would have errors in the other direction as well. Just wondering if it is possible that people who test negative on the ship are actually positive but the error is in their favor at the moment.

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I contacted a company I had used in the past with this question.  Here is their response:

"The quarantine coverage under our policies are designed to provide coverage if a traveler were to contract Covid-19 and have to quarantine due to being ill."

So, if you were sent into quarantine due to exposure, but without a positive test, I believe there is no coverage based on that language.

I think what the previous poster said was that it you were quarantined without being ill, it would fall under the trip interrution section of the policy, not the illness medical section of the policy.   Every company's policy is different, even different policies by the same company are different. That is way it is always a good idea to read each policy carefully and when in doubt, ask for clarifaction.  We generally use our credit card's travel policy insurance against almost everything but medical and always purchase a seperate medical policy for each foreign trip.  Because of the pandemic, we actually purchased a travel policy for this trip.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, John.  Yes, we hope that your son is doing OK. 

I, like you, was not aware of the ramifications:   that even if we are personally very careful, take precautions, wear masks, and do everything right, that if by chance someone else who tests positive happened to be near us - then that would cause us as innocent conscientious bystanders, to be quarantined. 

We definitely would not have booked this cruise knowing that.   Probably my bad though for not digging down into the tiny details of this.  I kick myself, as for us on June 29th, it is too late to cancel.   Irony is our insurance would cover our quarantine if WE were the ones who tested positive.  A real penalty for the innocent guilt by being nearby.

We are on this June 29’th cruise with no insurance.  Regret it now. I am not afraid of COVID with being vaccinated as all other passengers and crew.  However with all this other crap happening gives me pause.  We have done 2 other Viking Cruises and a Viking River.  Always enjoyed other Viking guests as I found them interesting, bright and friendly.  The idea of being comfortable having drinks in the explore lounge on sharing dinner with another couple wishes that we had cancelled 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

Did your wife's research reveal anything about false negatives?  I'm just curious how it is determined that the positive result was in error and not the subsequent negative one. It seems to me that if the test isn't 100% reliable it would have errors in the other direction as well. Just wondering if it is possible that people who test negative on the ship are actually positive but the error is in their favor at the moment.

23 minutes ago, lipnick said:

We are on this June 29’th cruise with no insurance.  Regret it now. I am not afraid of COVID with being vaccinated as all other passengers and crew.  However with all this other crap happening gives me pause.  We have done 2 other Viking Cruises and a Viking River.  Always enjoyed other Viking guests as I found them interesting, bright and friendly.  The idea of being comfortable having drinks in the explore lounge on sharing dinner with another couple wishes that we had cancelled 

She did not mention much about false negatives.  Her focus was why has my side of the family produced several false positives.  She only found false positives will be more frequent.   The PCR test must have a form of kryptonite in the chemicals, kryptonite and I do not do well together.  That’s my thinking.  

Edited by ohiojohn
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, SRHall64 said:

In the early days of the pandemic, DH came down with a fever a couple days after a nurse in his dept tested positive for Covid. DH got tested and came up negative. But he had all the symptoms. A couple months later he got tested for antibodies; he had them. So he did have Covid, and the test didn’t catch it. 

The nurse who did the Covid test had told him he almost certainly had it, even if the test came up negative. They had been seeing a lot of false negatives at that point.

As I say, this was early days (March 2020), and I don’t know if they refined the test after that to make it more accurate. Or maybe they got better at taking the samples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lipnick said:

Sorry but I can't believe anyone would travel without insurance especially in these times.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

The nurse who did the Covid test had told him he almost certainly had it, even if the test came up negative. They had been seeing a lot of false negatives at that point.

As I say, this was early days (March 2020), and I don’t know if they refined the test after that to make it more accurate. Or maybe they got better at taking the samples.

The same thing happened to my husband last October.  Negative test, all the symptoms. When he went for his physical and had tests in January, his dr. said he definitely had had it.

• Like 2

Has anyone on the June 29th sailing received their health questionnaire yet. A few days ago I received the timeline email indicating questionnaire would be through an email & MVJ. I've received nothing yet. Spoke with an uncharacteristically gruff agent at Viking this afternoon who said only travel agents can assist with that. Speaking directly with an agent as a passenger has never been an issue before. Thank you in advance for your replies.

33 minutes ago, Hockeyump said:

Sorry but I can't believe anyone would travel without insurance especially in these times.  

We have insurance but it only covers us if we test positive.  Not if we happen to be in contact with someone who does. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Has anyone on the June 29th sailing received their health questionnaire yet. A few days ago I received the timeline email indicating questionnaire would be through an email & MVJ. I've received nothing yet. Spoke with an uncharacteristically gruff agent at Viking this afternoon who said only travel agents can assist with that. Speaking directly with an agent as a passenger has never been an issue before. Thank you in advance for your replies.

We will be cruising on the June 22 voyage, and received the questionnaire one week before on June 15 , so I assume you will receive yours on June 22. 

• Thanks 1

When performing any kind of test, it is very easy to accept the results when we get the answer we are hoping for.  When we don't get the answer we're hoping for, we start questioning the test.  It's just a human nature thing.

All of these covid tests are known to show way, way, way more false negatives than false positives. Whole countries, families, and organizations have been bitten by putting too much value on a single negative test result.  At one time, realizing that it could take some time for the infection to get to a high enough level to test positive, Bermuda was requiring visitors to be tested every few days.

19 minutes ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Hi - we are on your June 29 cruise.  I just went to MVJ and it says:

"IMPORTANT: Your health survey is available 7 days before your cruise date."

We have implemented additional protocols to ensure your health and safety throughout your voyage. One of those new protocols is a required health survey. This survey will become available 7 days prior to your departure, and we request that you complete this survey for each guest during the 7 day timeframe.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We have insurance but it only covers us if we test positive.  Not if we happen to be in contact with someone who does. 

Our insurance covers us including quarantine if we test positive and if we have a doctor’s notice.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

This prompted me to look at ours.  It said we our covered if our trip is interrupted due to quarantine.  So I think we would be covered.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi - we are on your June 29 cruise.  I just went to MVJ and it says:

"IMPORTANT: Your health survey is available 7 days before your cruise date."

We have implemented additional protocols to ensure your health and safety throughout your voyage. One of those new protocols is a required health survey. This survey will become available 7 days prior to your departure, and we request that you complete this survey for each guest during the 7 day timeframe.

Great, thank-you ! 

2 hours ago, lipnick said:

If you regret not having travel insurance, go online and purchase it ASAP.  

Try Travel Guard or InsureMyTrip.  

51 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

If you regret not having travel insurance, go online and purchase it ASAP.  

Try Travel Guard or InsureMyTrip.  

Thanks for the suggestion but I am unable to find any insurance that will cover quarantine expenses. The only benefit of trip insurance (purchased at this late date) should we be quarantined is making a claim under the trip interruption clauses which would appears it should cover the cost of returning to our original return destination. 😢

Of bigger concern to those flying to Bermuda on American Airlines soon or shortly - is that American is having a massive cancellation of flights.   A very interesting and informative article.

American Airlines’ massive flight cancelations

American is approaching 500 flight cancelations over the course of a four day period around this weekend:

• On Friday, June 18, 2021, American canceled 83 flights
  • On Saturday, June 19, 2021, American canceled 123 flights
  • On Sunday, June 20, 2021, American canceled 167 flights
  • On Monday, June 21, 2021, American canceled 97 flights

https://onemileatatime.com/news/american-airlines-canceling-hundreds-of-flights/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=today_on_omaat&utm_term=2021-06-20

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Of bigger concern to those flying to Bermuda on American Airlines soon or shortly - is that American is having a massive cancellation of flights.   A very interesting and informative article.... American is approaching 500 flight cancelations over the course of a four day period around this weekend....

While AA is my airline of choice, I have learned to know my backup options, as I have had far too many flights canceled or delayed over the last several years. Having that backup information on hand—even if they’re not on AA—has come to the rescue on more than one occasion.

Edited by syesmar

3 hours ago, Irishbuckeye said:

We will be cruising on the June 22 voyage, and received the questionnaire one week before on June 15 , so I assume you will receive yours on June 22. 

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

We did our tests yesterday as directed and immediately submitted to Bermuda Govt.  My husband called and talked directly to someone in Bermuda on number given with info.  She said today, Sunday, they were still issuing permits to enter for people arriving tomorrow, Monday.  He got his info several hours ago and mine has still not arrived.  The office is now closed and I am hoping that I will receive mine in the morning.  This process will be well worth it once we get onboard safely, but it has been a daunting experience to get through.

We are doing cruise back to back and will be returning to Boston on July 6th.  This will be our 15th visit to Bermuda since our honeymoon there in 1972 and our 31st ocean cruise. First on Viking.

Hope we meet up on the Orion.

Ann and Bernie aka Grannie and Papa

2 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Did the mystery about why there were less people on the first cruise than there was supposed to be ever get resolved?

Well, I just checked the flight we were supposed to return on on AA Tuesday.  It was full just before we were due to depart a week or so ago.  But there are 25 available seats now.  This would comport with the ~100 folks said to have “missed the boat”.

And very topical to the FB info reliability discussion:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/a-real-estate-mogul-has-a-24100-million-plan-to-save-the-internet/ar-AALfdW1?ocid=uxbndlbing