Tips for cruising out of tampa?

jperry2011

We've always cruised out of Baltimore before since it's easy to drive to from PA but my wife talked me into flying to get on a cruise ship. Our best option due to the vacation schedules looks like Tampa FL in November or December (as long as cruising resumes by then)

Does anyone have any tips on flying in before a cruise or specific tips on the Tampa airport proximity to the port? Shuttle services? Nearby hotels?

I live in Tampa and TPA is one of the easiest airports to get in and out of.  The port is 10 miles from the airport.  Uber, Lyft and taxi's are plentiful at both ends so shuttles are unnecessary.  The port in is Channelside which is about 6 blocks from downtown Tampa.  

• Like 3

When I flew in seemed like either you could get really nice hotels with airport shuttles for reasonable and shuttle to the port or some high priced decent hotels near the port. Both times i got the very nice airport hotel. Last time was some suite with a living area, i think 2 tvs. Crazy nice hotel maybe 3 and a half stars.. I could walk to shopping and a mall was a little further to eat dinner.

• Like 1

Hotels in the Rocky Point area, near TPA, are popular with cruisers (Chase Suites, Hilton, etc.); pre-virus many offered both airport and port shuttles, or you could Uber to the port for under $20. Nice area on the bay with several dining options. Westshore area is the closest to TAP airport. Pre-virus I would say an 11:00 flight home is reasonable, but without knowing about post cruise screening I would choose a later flight.

Have a great cruise! 😎

I also live in Tampa. You pretty much have 2 choices for hotels. Stay near the airport (which is the cheaper option) Or stay in downtown Tampa, there are about 5 hotels which you can walk to the pier. If you search for The Florida Aquarium, the pier is next door to it

We are booked to cruise on the Constellation  this Nov. 7th (Hopefully, it goes forward).  We are from Massachusetts, so, we will be flying in a day early and staying at the Sailport Waterfront Suites.  I think it was $128, plus taxes for AAA rate.  When we booked this place, it was before the pandemic, and rates and reviews were great.  However, lately, reviews have not been so wonderful.  If it were my my husband and myself going, I would pay $$$$ to stay at the Marriott Water Street.  Unfortunately, there are a group of us going and staying at the Sailport now.  I don't think everyone will want to spend that kind of $$$$ for one prenight hotel.  Anybody have any suggestions on where to stay that is NICE and not big money???

On 4/13/2021 at 1:08 PM, LadyBerard said:

We are booked to cruise on the Constellation  this Nov. 7th (Hopefully, it goes forward).  We are from Massachusetts, so, we will be flying in a day early and staying at the Sailport Waterfront Suites.  I think it was $128, plus taxes for AAA rate.  When we booked this place, it was before the pandemic, and rates and reviews were great.  However, lately, reviews have not been so wonderful.  If it were my my husband and myself going, I would pay $$$$ to stay at the Marriott Water Street.  Unfortunately, there are a group of us going and staying at the Sailport now.  I don't think everyone will want to spend that kind of $$$$ for one prenight hotel.  Anybody have any suggestions on where to stay that is NICE and not big money???

All of the hotels in green are less than $150 night. I got it from hotels.com

Capture.JPG

• 1 month later...

We are booked on Celebrity Constellation in January. We have started planning our pre-cruise stay. Our plan so far is to stay couple of nights on Madeira Beach and then coming to Tampa Downtown for the New Years Eve. We booked Hyatt House Tampa Downtown with free cancellation. It was reasonable price and a new hotel. 

How do you guys think it is going to work for 3 nights before the cruise (and during the New years Eve?) We are in our 40’s, active and enjoy walking, no car. 

Anybody have any first hand experience with  Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa East Ybor City.   Reviews seem good.   They have a stay/cruise package including 14 days of parking.  Is this a safe place to leave a car for 2 weeks?

Edited by wrk2cruise

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 2:50 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Anybody have any first hand experience with  Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa East Ybor City.   Reviews seem good.   They have a stay/cruise package including 14 days of parking.  Is this a safe place to leave a car for 2 weeks?

stay there before the cruise shut down. very nice hotel and we will be staying there jan. 22. it has a good breakfast and the shuttle to the port runs every hour. you will like it there.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, linbobky said:

stay there before the cruise shut down. very nice hotel and we will be staying there jan. 22. it has a good breakfast and the shuttle to the port runs every hour. you will like it there.

I am looking for something that very same night.  I like Holiday Inn Express.  Do you know if the shuttle is complimentary?