Hundreds of sellers are offering false and stolen Covid-19 vaccine cards

MarkWiltonM

Not the biggest shock, I think when I mentioned it a good while ago someone asked why anyone would go to the bother, clearly many are, and will. I would not however want to be rocking up on a cruise ship with false documentation and then fall ill with Covid, that sounds like an expensive mistake to me. I think we all know any form of card is pointless, it simply won’t work. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

Not the biggest shock, I think when I mentioned it a good while ago someone asked why anyone would go to the bother, clearly many are, and will. I would not however want to be rocking up on a cruise ship with false documentation and then fall ill with Covid, that sounds like an expensive mistake to me. I think we all know any form of card is pointless, it simply won’t work. 

If it is the proof that I need to board the ship, then it works.

1 minute ago, KWW88 said:

If it is the proof that I need to board the ship, then it works.

Obviously for the individual whether honest or not, until there is a problem and it quickly stops working and becomes pointless, never to be used again. Can’t say I know what the answer is but it’s certainly not as basic as a bit of cardboard or plastic that can easily be copied. 

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think I would respect anti-vaxxers more than people who would forge a vaccine document to cruise.  At least anti-vaxxers have an opinion and stand up for it.  That is at least honest.

I guess though those who need a forged document are mostly going to be anti Vaxxers.

3 minutes ago, yorky said:

I guess though those who need a forged document are mostly going to be anti Vaxxers.

The local news said that some of the people buying the forged documents just want the advantages of being vaccinated while they wait to get the shot. 

Let's see.  We have had cruisers bringing their "service" dogs on board with fake certificates.  You can obtain certificates exempting you from wearing a mask.  Now you can obtain fake vaccination cards.   It will be difficult for a cruise line to deny boarding to these individuals.   

Wouldn't one simple solution to this expected problem is that any fraudulent use of a vaccine card would make the user liable for all costs incurred because of such actions?   If you could be liable for possible millions, this would scare away most people.  The cruise line only have to make an example of the first person who gets caught.  If someone with fraudulent vaccine card gets covid on a ship, I would think the cruise line will probably contact the CDC to check if their passenger was really vaccinated or not.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think I would respect anti-vaxxers more than people who would forge a vaccine document to cruise.  At least anti-vaxxers have an opinion and stand up for it.  That is at least honest.

Why do you refer to people as “anti-vaxxers?” Typically insults are the last resort when there isn’t a logical argument to counter facts.

I have two high school aged kids. I view the risk of some unknown issue for them down the road related to this vaccine as much worse than anything they would suffer from COVID. Right now, I would prefer they not be vaccinated.

There are tough choices to be made by all right now. The blanket term “anti-vaxxer” doesn’t really help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

I have the CDC card. There is a spot for "Patient number (medical record or IIS record number" but they didn't fill anything in the spot. I've verified that my vaccine appears on the state records so I'm good to go. 

Same here, and our Patient Numbers are printed there.  Nothing was done by hand; the cards were printed from the center's computer system while we did our 15 minutes observation time.  Might be our patient numbers within our health system, though, rather than a national vaccine registry.

1 minute ago, ch175 said:

Why do you refer to people as “anti-vaxxers?” Typically insults are the last resort when there isn’t a logical argument to counter facts.

I have two high school aged kids. I view the risk of some unknown issue for them down the road related to this vaccine as much worse than anything they would suffer from COVID. Right now, I would prefer they not be vaccinated.

There are tough choices to be made by all right now. The blanket term “anti-vaxxer” doesn’t really help.

The term “Anti-vaxxers has been used for a very long time, in truth it’s pretty accurate. You could use other terms I guess but it’s really just a recognised term these days, I’ve seen it used by politicians regularly over here. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ch175 said:

Insult?  Not really.  Somebody choosing not to get this vaccine or give their kids this vaccine are not Anti-Vaxxers.  They are hopefully making an informed choice as you seem to be for your family.  No insult intended you.  

The Anti-Vaxxer term is commonly used for the group of people choosing not to give themselves or their kids ANY vaccine Ever.  That is their choice.  That term has been widely used for this group.  This group tends to be very vocal about their anti-vaccine efforts in general.  Against all vaccines.  They choose to home school their kids rather than give them vaccines required for public school.  That is the difference.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ch175 said:

Yes, unknown risk is definitely worse than death.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, morechances said:

Leave my emotional support peacock out of this.

Or my wife's emotional support alligator.

And my emotional support emu and my wife's emotional support shark.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 hour ago, ch175 said:

What do you call the group of people who are against taking vaccines?

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What do you call the group of people who are against taking vaccines?

I think the problem is that most people use anti-vaxers to refer to people who are opposed to all vaccines. Some people are just opposed to THIS vaccine. I understand why they're opposed but I don't agree. 

1 hour ago, keesar said:

Let's see.  We have had cruisers bringing their "service" dogs on board with fake certificates.  You can obtain certificates exempting you from wearing a mask.  Now you can obtain fake vaccination cards.   It will be difficult for a cruise line to deny boarding to these individuals.   

Not really.  If the cruise lines are willing to accept a card waived in front of them at check in as the the only proof needed then it will indicate to me that they are not really serious about the vaccination requirement and it is more of a PR thing to satisfy their customers.

If they are serious they would required submitted information to be submitted in advance along with a signed release such they they could validate the proof.  They would not need to validate all of them, only a percentage.  That spot checking should inhibit others from trying to submit false information from a fake card.

The discussion here peeked my interest.  My next cruise (God willing) is 1/30/22 out of Fl Lauderdale.  I just checked the New York State site to see if my 2 Pfizer shots that were administered at a joint FEMA & New York State location were listed.  To my surprise I discovered as of 3/26/21 my state has a new program, Excelsior Pass - https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-launch-excelsior-pass-help-fast-track-reopening-businesses-and

Excelsior Pass is a free, voluntary platform developed in partnership with IBM that uses a secure technology to confirm:

1-  a recent negative PCR test taken in the last 3 days

2-  negative Antigen test results in the last 6 hours

3-  Proof of being fully vaccinated 14 plus days since the final shot

It was developed to be used statewide when businesses reopen and for event venues such as theaters, stadiums, arenas, wedding receptions, etc.  I am wondering if this verification and pass would be acceptable for airlines, port authorities in the US and Celebrity?

(Excelsior Pass is a digital ecosystem that enables individuals to store digital proof of test results and/or vaccine status and businesses and venues to verify these items without accessing personal health data.)

I printed a copy of the pass that has the NYS logo, my name, DOB, and expiration date of 9/19/21.  I will print a new one then.  I must have photo ID available when presenting the pass for verification. 

Mary

Edited by Beba-Beba
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Idiots.

Quite insulting, IMO.  There was a woman on here earlier who stated why she did not want her teenage kids to be vaccinated, she has made what she feels that as a mom, is the best decision for her family, certainly does not mean that she is an "idiot"!!  I have had the vax and very glad that I made that CHOICE, I also every year get a flu, shingles and pneumonia shot, by CHOICE.  I am not talking about the people who think Bill Gates and WHO are trying to inject them with a chip of some sort, but there are smart and rational people who have made their decision to not be vaccinated.  

• Thanks 1