Cruise price $798 increase from cancelled COVID cruise

1gr8cruise

We cancelled our March 2020 Cruise due to COVID, this was voluntary on our part.  We did not have insurance, so Princess is holding $2,400 towards our next cruise to be booked by May 2022.  I have tried numerous times to get a full refund, no luck.  I am not upset about not getting a refund, we chose to cancel the night before a cruise based on an email Princess sent us (I knew the rules).  We knew we would have to book a cruise to use the credit.  My problem is the same ship, same itinerary, same cabin category, same time of the year is now $798 more than what we had orig. booked.  I think they have raised prices significantly to make up for COVID.  I have booked other cruises with other lines for the upcoming two years, I am not seeing an increase of more than $100 for a similar cruise.  

I called Princess and tried to get someone to understand my situation, I was basically told "too bad, you must have got a great deal on the orig. booking".  I told them if you were within a few hundred dollars I would have no issue, but $798 come on.  Before you ask, it was the exact same package, (we dont get the drink package, Wifi etc.).  Any comments or recommendations are appreciated.   Thank you!!!  (we had a mini-suite, Sky Princess- eastern itin.)  Very dissatisfied with Princess.       

I'm seeing the same price increase with both my cruises that were cancelled from both Princess and Celebrity.  My Princess cruise next February is now up over $400 per person from last February and my Celebrity cruise from May 2021 to May 2022 is up a whopping $730 per person.  Obviously the booking are going well and I think with the tremendous amount of FCC and bent up demand we are going to see prices continue to increase at least in the short term.  

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry but I don't see why this is a big surprise.   The cruise lines have not made any money in over a year.   I think you are lucky you still have a credit available and I think we are lucky the cruise line has not gone out of business.    Everyone is eager to get cruising again so cabins are going to be in short supply and pricing is going up.  Supply and demand.   I would book the cruise  and reserve the space and hope there is a price reduction closer to the sail date or pick something else to use up your credit.   It's not going to get any better in the short term.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 1gr8cruise said:

We cancelled our March 2020 Cruise due to COVID, this was voluntary on our part.  We did not have insurance, so Princess is holding $2,400 towards our next cruise to be booked by May 2022.  I have tried numerous times to get a full refund, no luck.  I am not upset about not getting a refund, we chose to cancel the night before a cruise based on an email Princess sent us (I knew the rules).  We knew we would have to book a cruise to use the credit.  My problem is the same ship, same itinerary, same cabin category, same time of the year is now $798 more than what we had orig. booked.  I think they have raised prices significantly to make up for COVID.  I have booked other cruises with other lines for the upcoming two years, I am not seeing an increase of more than $100 for a similar cruise.  

I called Princess and tried to get someone to understand my situation, I was basically told "too bad, you must have got a great deal on the orig. booking"....)  Very dissatisfied with Princess.       

hello,

you are in the same boat as me, so to speak, having cancelled my March 7/20 cruise on March 6/20 and getting my fare back as a FCC. No bonus. But no cancellation penalty. 
i on the other hand, look at it as how grateful I am to Princess for giving me the choice to stay safe & cruise later.   I chose a different cruise and will pay $2600 more for the 2 of us, 2 days longer & deluxe balcony over balcony & the Perks plus package. I am not even going to look back at the Panama Canal cruise prices to see what I missed. I found a cruise to use my FCC on that I feel is worth the extra money. 
in other cancellations I am out $800 with vouchers I can’t use re: TAP & Iberia & Sunwing Tours. 
I appreciate Princess. Even extended my cruise by date to May 2022 from December 2021. 

Edited by dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do not understand the issue.  Prices fluctuate with demand.

IF the price had decreased by  $800 would have have taken  that saving or would you have insisted Princess charge you what you previously paid?

That was then, this is NOW. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, memoak said:

No surprises here. The are not booking 100% of cabins to allow for social distancing at this time. Big demand lower supply = higher prices

Thank you, I did not know they were not filling the ship to full capacity.

4 hours ago, iancal said:

I do not understand the issue.  Prices fluctuate with demand.

IF the price had decreased by  $800 would have have taken  that saving or would you have insisted Princess charge you what you previously paid?

That was then, this is NOW. 

Yes, prices fluctuate.....I have been on a lot of cruises, they typically don't fluctuate that much (even 10 years ago with fuel surcharges).  Previous poster pointed out they are not going to sail at full capacity.  That is probably the reason for the significant price increase.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martinitime1 said:

We are booked on the Celebrity Apex T/A 10/2021 out of Barcelona, that is if it does actually happen. They are currently selling the same Aqua class cabins we have booked for a whopping $2600.00 per person more than we booked it at.

That is crazy, I am sure some dedicated cruisers will pay it.

15 hours ago, waltd said:

I'm sorry but I don't see why this is a big surprise.   The cruise lines have not made any money in over a year.   I think you are lucky you still have a credit available and I think we are lucky the cruise line has not gone out of business.    Everyone is eager to get cruising again so cabins are going to be in short supply and pricing is going up.  Supply and demand.   I would book the cruise  and reserve the space and hope there is a price reduction closer to the sail date or pick something else to use up your credit.   It's not going to get any better in the short term.

We plan to book something for Dec. 2021.  Cabins I have looked at have been available for months.  I dont think people are going to rush back to cruising, dedicated cruisers yes but not new cruisers.  I agree it probably wont get better on pricing.  Just felt it was a significant increase (24%).  

Just now, 1gr8cruise said:

We plan to book something for Dec. 2021.  Cabins I have looked at have been available for months.  I dont think people are going to rush back to cruising, dedicated cruisers yes but not new cruisers.  I agree it probably wont get better on pricing.  Just felt it was a significant increase (24%).  

I agree.   A significant increase.  The cruise lines are going to try and get back all that credit that us crazy people have burning a hole in our pockets.   I also have a cruise booked for Dec. 1st 2021.   Keeping my fingers crossed that we sail and I can finally use our credits. 😀

Lol... we had a cruise canceled by Princess and because we were at the cruise port and were waiting, received our money back (except for $120 which I have no idea why they kept and refuse to give back!).  We also received a credit for the amount we paid for the cruise.  Although it was awesome to get the free credit, the prices have gone up so much that it will cost more to go on the exact same cruise (same date, category, etc) after the cruise credit than it did without the credit in 2019!  So... I guess I either wait for the prices to come down or let the credit expire.  At least we got our money back.

7 hours ago, memoak said:

No surprises here. The are not booking 100% of cabins to allow for social distancing at this time. Big demand lower supply = higher prices

I am just curious, where did you find info that they are not booking all cabins. I just booked a cabin on the Ruby Princess for May 2020 and it appears that all Club Class cabins are available.  Thanks for any info.

12 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

I am just curious, where did you find info that they are not booking all cabins. I just booked a cabin on the Ruby Princess for May 2020 and it appears that all Club Class cabins are available.  Thanks for any info.

My PVP advised me after my October Ruby cruise was canceled due to an October dry dock. That dry dock is scheduled for updating medallion systems, updating air filtration systems and social distance in dining rooms and theaters. They will increase occupancy as situations get better. If you have a cruise in 2020 then you are a time traveler. If you have booked for May 2021 then I doubt you will sail. For 2022 I believe they will sell to a certain percentage and then close sales 

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

My PVP advised me after my October Ruby cruise was canceled due to an October dry dock. That dry dock is scheduled for updating medallion systems, updating air filtration systems and social distance in dining rooms and theaters. They will increase occupancy as situations get better. If you have a cruise in 2020 then you are a time traveler. If you have booked for May 2021 then I doubt you will sail. For 2022 I believe they will sell to a certain percentage and then close sales 

I was told twice by my PVP that they are not holding cabins back. The second time just last week.  She told me she ask her supervisor and was told no decision has been made and just keep booking until she is told something different.  

16 minutes ago, memoak said:

Woops, my bad.  Yes, not a time traveler, but just a messy typist.  Yes, 2022 for our trip. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waltd said:

I agree.   A significant increase.  The cruise lines are going to try and get back all that credit that us crazy people have burning a hole in our pockets.   I also have a cruise booked for Dec. 1st 2021.   Keeping my fingers crossed that we sail and I can finally use our credits. 😀

Thanks and good luck!

3 hours ago, waltd said:

I agree.   A significant increase.  The cruise lines are going to try and get back all that credit that us crazy people have burning a hole in our pockets.

You're making it sound like a decision Princess intentionally made, which it may be. But it may also just be their computer pricing algorithm looking at the percentage of that type of cabin sold how many months in advance and making the price adjustments automatically, using the same algorithm they were using pre-Covid.  If the algorithm is good enough, it should still price cabins at the most advantageous price point for Princess even though these are anything but normal times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Lol... we had a cruise canceled by Princess and because we were at the cruise port and were waiting, received our money back (except for $120 which I have no idea why they kept and refuse to give back!).  We also received a credit for the amount we paid for the cruise.  Although it was awesome to get the free credit, the prices have gone up so much that it will cost more to go on the exact same cruise (same date, category, etc) after the cruise credit than it did without the credit in 2019!  So... I guess I either wait for the prices to come down or let the credit expire.  At least we got our money back.

They have gone up quite a bit.  We have cruises booked with other lines and those prices have not increased anywhere close to what Princess has.  I don't wan't to leave $2,400 on the table so I will have to spend an extra $700-1000 to use it I guess.  In the end we will have a great vacation either way.