Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Okay, that's what it says but I have absolutely no idea what they are trying to tell us --or if it applies to me.

That's why I quoted the whole sentence!  It's general, as it has to be, and how it applies to a ship that's overnight in port makes things even fuzzier.  But I just wanted to call attention to the fact that the contract exists, as I suspect many people don't read it.  And some people probably don't know that they can't slide up to the ship an hour pre-departure and expect things to go smoothly!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Hey, soon-to-be Iceland travelers! Don’t forget your woolies! It was 33 degrees and spitting snow yesterday on the pass between Seydisfjordur and Egilsstadir — chilly! The snow drifts along the road were several feet thick. On the plus side, though, the trees have all leafed out in the valleys, and the lowland temps got up to the high 40s. Happy traveling!

Yikes! 😮 

9 hours ago, jeremybe said:

Half Ironman myself - will be right there with ya on the Treadmill

On the first UK cruise a traveler said reservations were required to use the Spa areas and the gym.  That 6 people at a time were allowed for 45 minute increments.  Do not know if the Iceland cruises will be as strict.

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Probably won’t know about Viking transfers until the day folks arrive on the 26th—unless Viking tells you in advance. Yes, when we arrived on the 14th, we had to get our luggage before leaving the immigration/customs area. The document check for testing is outside the arrivals area, so you wouldn’t be able to go back in. Documents checked, you proceed outside to be tested. FWIW, the testing building is outside next to a big parking lot where some of the shuttle transfers to car rentals are. My guess is Viking transfers will be right there. It is not a big airport.

Thank you.  That makes sense.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Yikes! 😮 

Ha Ha. I was thinking there must be a heat wave in Iceland and was confused by the snow. Then realised we use Celsius in the UK and 33C is hot not 33F which is brass monkey weather.  I will be layering up with thermals, waterproofs and wooly jumpers -  in fact just what I have on standby for any day in the UK. 

Edited by Queenie1603
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Hey, soon-to-be Iceland travelers! Don’t forget your woolies! It was 33 degrees and spitting snow yesterday on the pass between Seydisfjordur and Egilsstadir — chilly! The snow drifts along the road were several feet thick. On the plus side, though, the trees have all leafed out in the valleys, and the lowland temps got up to the high 40s. Happy traveling!

People on the forum didn't believe me when I said the long-range forecast was for cold weather during this time. Was the "Grit Truck" out? We had a similar situation when we rented a campervan on the South Island in New Zealand.

1 minute ago, Clay Clayton said:

Look at the red banner at the top of the page. 

Clay

Thank you, I avoid the peripheral advertising normally but have been caught out this time.

Any response yet to your well worded questions to Viking yet?

Just now, NeilP57 said:

Clay

Thank you, I avoid the peripheral advertising normally but have been caught out this time.

Any response yet to your well worded questions to Viking yet?

Other than the phone call I reported on yesterday no 🤞

• Like 1

The LIVE thread is now open.  It will be all about the on-board experience while Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022  and roll calls will continue to be about the pre-departure issues and chat.  Everyone is welcome to participate so that we can paint as detailed a picture of the WELCOME BACK experience as possible.

If you have been waiting for someone to actually sail to answer a question,  the LIVE thread is now open for questions.

See you there!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I missed that too.  Thanks.  

This group has been pretty good about no Covid arguments.  Viking attracts a good crowd....hooray for that! 

Hmmm, you must not be following the same threads I am. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting announcement for New Yorkers on covid.is/announcements. Read more on the website (I didn't). Maybe there is a chance that you can participate in the pilot program and help open the program to more people:

COVID-19 Excelsior Pass from New York State

June 16, 2021

A pilot program has been launched to accept the Excelsior Pass Opnast í nýjum glugga at the Icelandic border from passengers flying from New York. The Excelsior Pass is a free voluntary digital health pass developed by New York State in partnership with IBM and currently available to New Yorkers to verify their COVID-19 vaccination or test results.

The results of the pilot program will possibly be used to allow Iceland to accept and verify health credentials from the IBM Digital Health Pass platform.

On 6/20/2021 at 7:03 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Here are two Iceland series you may want to watch:

On Amazon Prime are two seasons of Trapped.  Each season is a complete murder mystery - no cliff hanger to next season.  It is in Icelandic with English subtitles so gets you familiar with pronunciation and hearing the language.  The first season is centered around Seydisfjordur and Reykjavik.  The second season is around Akureyri and Reykjavik.  Both seasons are very engaging.

The other is an 8 episode series on Netflix called Katka.  It is filmed on the South coast and Vik.  The story is about strange happenings occurring during a volcanic eruption under a glacier.  We binge watched it over the last two evenings.

It was fun recognizing actors from Trapped in Katka.

Thank you for turning us on to Trapped. I’ve watched the first 4 episodes and I’m hooked. Unfortunately I haven’t picked up a word of Icelandic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, patchicago said:

Thank you for turning us on to Trapped. I’ve watched the first 4 episodes and I’m hooked. Unfortunately I haven’t picked up a word of Icelandic.

We loved it.  Hopefully we won't see the weather of the first season!

1 hour ago, patchicago said:

We watched the first episode tonight and will watch more.  I learned how to say sh-t, hopefully I don’t have to use it often. 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Last night we watched EuroVision on Netflix.  What a hoot it was!  It was filmed in Husavik and Edinborough.  So if you are going to Husavik or not...

We have booked to go on the Husavik Thermal pools excursions.  Looking forward to visiting Husavik -  they have apparentlhy opened the Ja Ja Ding Dong bar there in honour of the film . The actor who insisted on the Ja Ja Ding Dong song in the film was the voting representative for Iceland in this year's Eurovison competition.He still instisted Ja Ja Ding Dong should win.   I'll just be hoping the Elves are looking after us.  Maybe Viking will have Fire Saga - on it's film play list! 

The song Husavik was nominated for an Oscar.  Not sure if you can post You Tube links but if not  just look up Oscar Performance Mollie Sanden Husavik -  she sang the song on the keyside at Husavik at night . The Church is behind  her, the Northern Lights are showing and the children's choir is delightful.

Edited by Queenie1603
  • Like 1

SO grateful for the CC "new policy" regarding vaccination discussion !!!!!  My favorite board on another site is filled to the brim with speculation - accusation - complaining and has become ever so tiresome.  Glad we can use this one for more interesting topics. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Queenie1603 said:

We have booked to go on the Husavik Thermal pools excursions.  Looking forward to visiting Husavik -  they have apparentlhy opened the Ja Ja Ding Dong bar there in honour of the film . The actor who insisted on the Ja Ja Ding Dong song in the film was the voting representative for Iceland in this year's Eurovison competition.He still instisted Ja Ja Ding Dong should win.   I'll just be hoping the Elves are looking after us.  Maybe Viking will have Fire Saga - on it's film play list! 

The song Husavik was nominated for an Oscar.  Not sure if you can post You Tube links but if not  just look up Oscar Performance Mollie Sanden Husavik -  she sang the song on the keyside at Husavik at night . The Church is behind  her, the Northern Lights are showing and the children's choir is delightful.

Yes, saw this performance before the Oscars.  Movie definitely put Husavik on the map.  I bet it is a film choice on the room TV's.  

• Like 1

So I am wondering about VeriFLY.  A few days ago I signed up and added my husband as travel companion.  We are marked as ready to travel.  We have green checkmarks as having finished uploading our vax card and photo.  Yet yesterday my husband got an email from Viking telling him to sign up.  Don’t quite know what to make of this.  Did anyone else get this?

My husband and I will be on the 7/24 cruise and were disappointed to miss out on the black beach walk excursion. (In the process of booking when the system crashed.) I found a hiking trail site that lists the walk as “easy” and about 5 miles RT from downtown Djupivogur. If we are allowed to go off on our own and it’s a decent day (meaning no horizontal rain!), I think we may do it independently. We’d be happy to have company. Another option is to walk there but make arrangements for a cab to pick us up at the end of the airport road at a specific time so we don’t have to walk all the way back. Of course, that assumes there is some type of taxi service in Djupivogur. Are we crazy? 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/iceland/eastern/djupivogur-to-black-sand-beach?u=i&u=i

45AD2627-C0DE-4B04-8052-DD592B5AE015.jpeg

Edited by CatefromNH
  • Like 1