Jump to content

Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Jerry,

 

Much of the snow on the mountains will likely be gone by the time you arrive. Not so for us! I look at the surrounding peaks and wish I’d brought my skis.

 

This hotel checks all the boxes: fabulous design, great location, and views to die for. You’ll have a great time at the Sig.

 

David

Did you have to drive through the one lane tunnel?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two days ago, Iceland's Chief Epidemiologist declared that the country has reached herd immunity. This seems like a good sign that rules will be relaxed on July 1st as anticipated to not require testing upon arrival, and that we'll be allowed off-ship on our own recognizance. Let's hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TERRIER1 said:

Did you have to drive through the one lane tunnel?

 

Yes we did — it took forever! We were driving south to north, so the tunnel pullouts were all on our side. This meant we had to pull over in the tunnel and yield to every car coming our way. I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Yes we did — it took forever! We were driving south to north, so the tunnel pullouts were all on our side. This meant we had to pull over in the tunnel and yield to every car coming our way. I couldn’t wait to get out of there.

You are a brave soul. We did a 12 day road trip and decided to stay in Seydisfjordur so not to go through that tunnel south to north. Scary. Our luck had us going over the mountain in a total fog in. Couldn't even see the road until we came over on the other side on a lower elevation. The picture from the hotel is lovely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Two days ago, Iceland's Chief Epidemiologist declared that the country has reached herd immunity. This seems like a good sign that rules will be relaxed on July 1st as anticipated to not require testing upon arrival, and that we'll be allowed off-ship on our own recognizance. Let's 

Edited by USI
Deleted bc it may have violated COVID19 posting policy.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It appears that Viking has updated their Health & Safety page with what to me are additional items that somewhat answer many of the questions we have been asking each other-including is the crew fully vaccinated, what happens if we are in close contact with a positive passenger. 
 

There is also one item that discusses their insurance which at first reading seems to say that the plan will pay for quarantining….however after reading it several times, there is at least one too many “could”s and a “help” that concerns me.  We have never purchased Viking’s insurance preferring to buy others.  For those that have, can you give me an idea of how much it is for the Iceland trip?  Do you know if it can be purchased at this late date (don’t feel like having to sit on the phone if one of you knows the answer already)? If you have a policy could you share the paragraphs related to quarantine?

 

Here’s a link:https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html?fbclid=IwAR2mL8L9ivlPPTHU_VhBbu2hilTlB1ld58Zk8tX0LSGX6ZBRnyHKoFnS2cM

 

Thanks!

F8A843ED-F534-4ADA-8D57-CEE2CA7ADDB1.png

9728A88E-8A06-4B9A-A709-D10E51EA8EC1.png

B9288A84-155C-4270-BD6E-9EE947AADB1A.png

You cannot purchase Viking insurance now.  It must be done before you can cancel and get 100% refund or at the time you make your deposit if within that period.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It appears that Viking has updated their Health & Safety page with what to me are additional items that somewhat answer many of the questions we have been asking each other-including is the crew fully vaccinated, what happens if we are in close contact with a positive passenger. 
 

There is also one item that discusses their insurance which at first reading seems to say that the plan will pay for quarantining….however after reading it several times, there is at least one too many “could”s and a “help” that concerns me.  We have never purchased Viking’s insurance preferring to buy others.  For those that have, can you give me an idea of how much it is for the Iceland trip?  Do you know if it can be purchased at this late date (don’t feel like having to sit on the phone if one of you knows the answer already)? If you have a policy could you share the paragraphs related to quarantine?

 

 

 

 

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

 

 

Viking's insurance has to be purchased 120 days before departure, or at the time the  booking is placed if it is closer than 120 days to the departure date.  

I purchased another company's insurance.  From what I understand most insurance policies will cover the cost of quarantining and trip interruption for you and your travel companion if one of you tests positive for covid.  Not sure what happens if someone is forced to quarantine because of contact tracing if your covid test is negative.  I was quoted $519 per person by Viking.  I paid about $300 per person with another company but it did not come with cancel for any reason.  I'm on the July 20 Iceland cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shelley34 said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Viking's insurance has to be purchased 120 days before departure, or at the time the  booking is placed if it is closer than 120 days to the departure date.  

I purchased another company's insurance.  From what I understand most insurance policies will cover the cost of quarantining and trip interruption for you and your travel companion if one of you tests positive for covid.  Not sure what happens if someone is forced to quarantine because of contact tracing if your covid test is negative.  I was quoted $519 per person by Viking.  I paid about $300 per person with another company but it did not come with cancel for any reason.  I'm on the July 20 Iceland cruise.

Same here -Paid approx $300 for insurance this week for our July 17 cruise - after speaking with a few different companies many do not cover quarantine at all - Trip interruption has to specifically state it . A few of the policies started that ‘if you are forced to quarantine’ you are covered - nothing about a covid test being required

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

Same here -Paid approx $300 for insurance this week for our July 17 cruise - after speaking with a few different companies many do not cover quarantine at all - Trip interruption has to specifically state it . A few of the policies started that ‘if you are forced to quarantine’ you are covered - nothing about a covid test being required

Can you share which insurance you purchased. We had intended to buy just medical on or about July 1st and the cost for it will be around $100, but if for $300 we can get health and quarantine coverage then we would take a hard look at it.  Cheapest I could find that covered quarantine was well over $1000. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can you share which insurance you purchased. We had intended to buy just medical on or about July 1st and the cost for it will be around $100, but if for $300 we can get health and quarantine coverage then we would take a hard look at it.  Cheapest I could find that covered quarantine was well over $1000. 

I use Trip Insurance Store (online) to buy insurance.  They have a fairly good selection of policies, and are very willing to answer questions about coverage.  You can probably purchase a policy now, but if you have any pre-existing conditions, they won't be covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can you share which insurance you purchased. We had intended to buy just medical on or about July 1st and the cost for it will be around $100, but if for $300 we can get health and quarantine coverage then we would take a hard look at it.  Cheapest I could find that covered quarantine was well over $1000. 

 

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I use Trip Insurance Store (online) to buy insurance.  They have a fairly good selection of policies, and are very willing to answer questions about coverage.  You can probably purchase a policy now, but if you have any pre-existing conditions, they won't be covered.

You may also want to check out Squaremouth. We purchased a Covid policy through their website

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

 

 

With regards to measuring distances to shore, Marine Traffic doesn't allow for that with the subscription I have which is "Standard." There is a scale that changes with the screens zoom.

 

Last evening I was tracking the Viking Sky once she was back in radar range. I could go back on the route traveled as she came through the Irish Sea. The route forecast had her actually sailing WNW for a bit which I assumed to be scrubbing time so that she would not arrive too early. Each waypoint/change of direction of the sailing forecast showed nautical miles to go.

 

In actuality the Viking Sky arrived at 07:28 local time and did not take the forecast route but stayed on the original course. She probably was about 3 miles from the Reykjanesta lighthouse, 4 miles from Gardskagi lighthouse, and about 2 miles from Grotta lighthouse with the actual route.

 

Edited by Heartgrove
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bardstowntraveller said:

 

You may also want to check out Squaremouth. We purchased a Covid policy through their website

Same here - We used Squaremouth  - They were very helpful especially re:quarantine requirements..

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

Same here - We used Squaremouth  - They were very helpful especially re:quarantine requirements..

Checking their site now. How do you know if a policy covers quarantine costs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding weather in Iceland today - here is a quote from a Viking cruiser who arrived early for the June 26th departure.    "Everyone in town is dressed in hiking boots and tactical pants. It’s been in the high 40’s/low 50’s. The wind is very cold. I have a rain jacket with removable down vest. It’s perfect. Rain is expected in the next few days."

Link to post
Share on other sites

This was just asked on the live thread by dukefan and it made me wonder, how much of what is being reported on the Sky will be the same for the Jupiter?
 

 

 

 

Some questions for the first Viking Iceland path finders:

 

1)  On what days are there any special meals (i'e. Seafood Buffet, etc)?

 

2) What is the entertainment in the theater each night?  Movies by the pool?

 

3) What type of entertainment was there in the Living Room, Explorer Lounge, etc.

 

4) How hard was it to make the 45 minute reservations for the free Spa Area?  For the Treadmills

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

 

With regards to measuring distances to shore, Marine Traffic doesn't allow for that with the subscription I have which is "Standard." There is a scale that changes with the screens zoom.

 

Last evening I was tracking the Viking Sky once she was back in radar range. I could go back on the route traveled as she came through the Irish Sea. The route forecast had her actually sailing WNW for a bit which I assumed to be scrubbing time so that she would not arrive too early. Each waypoint/change of direction of the sailing forecast showed nautical miles to go.

 

In actuality the Viking Sky arrived at 07:28 local time and did not take the forecast route but stayed on the original course. She probably was about 3 miles from the Reykjanesta lighthouse, 4 miles from Gardskagi lighthouse, and about 2 miles from Grotta lighthouse with the actual route.

 

Thank you for estimating those, and I pulled up the "distance" site you mentioned, but didn't have time to do more than that.  But I will.  I'll be following Sky around Iceland, and looking to see if I can possibly see any lighthouses along the route when it's my turn. There are plenty of them, but most are small, so it will likely be tough.  But on a previous cruise, I watch on one of Viking's computers as we got closer and closer to a lighthouse I was hoping to see.  That was fun!

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StuLaurie said:

 

This was just asked on the live thread by dukefan and it made me wonder, how much of what is being reported on the Sky will be the same for the Jupiter?
 

 

 

 

Some questions for the first Viking Iceland path finders:

 

1)  On what days are there any special meals (i'e. Seafood Buffet, etc)?

 

2) What is the entertainment in the theater each night?  Movies by the pool?

 

3) What type of entertainment was there in the Living Room, Explorer Lounge, etc.

 

4) How hard was it to make the 45 minute reservations for the free Spa Area?  For the Treadmills

 

Good Questions but please post your them on the LIVE thread. LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

 

Wait until Sunday or Monday so they will be seen by those on board. The conversation on the thread is moving along very quickly. If you post your questions today, they may get lost in the shuffle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can you share which insurance you purchased. We had intended to buy just medical on or about July 1st and the cost for it will be around $100, but if for $300 we can get health and quarantine coverage then we would take a hard look at it.  Cheapest I could find that covered quarantine was well over $1000. 

I always use Generali Travel Insurance for my trips. So far so good! 👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

Checking their site now. How do you know if a policy covers quarantine costs?

Look specifically under the Trip Interruption portion of the policy - It will explicitly state whether Quarantine is covered - If it is not explicitly stated than there is no coverage

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...