Hoping for some help in booking flights for Feb. 22

Booked on Splendour Feb. 3 22. We will be flying from Vancouver (hopefully), to Miami. I wasn't sure whether to take the air or the credit, but it seems we did not have the option, undoubtedly due to Covid, and coming from Canada.

Checked airfares, and as I suspected, really high. We have aeroplan, and Alaska mileage plan. Aeroplan shows most flights available being overnight or requiring 5+ hours overnight in airports, but not enough time to get a hotel.

Alaska shows a fairly good itinerary-YVR-DFW and DFW- Miami getting us there by 8:15 pm. However, only the first flight is in business/first. At least that is the longer of the two.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade main cabin to premium on an award ticket? I would be fine with the 3 hrs, but DH not so much.

I realize that the likelihood of this flight itinerary being changed over and over is probably very likely, however both aeroplan, and Alaska apparently allowing changes and cancellations without penalty. If this is true, it would seem a very good idea to book something now. 

Does anyone have any input or info on Alaska, or AA(which we would be flying on as Alaska,s partner) about these new rules?

We would be spending 3 nights pre cruise in Miami, and 2 post cruise- as I think a good buffer zone is a good idea in this climate.

This will just be our 2nd Regent cruise, and we have Panama Canal for Dec 22 booked as well (at least we will only have the long haul travel one way on that one.

Love to hear any input from any, and all!

Assuming Trudeau has opened the border by then (still supposed to be closed for ship traffic), you can take a non-stop from SEA - MIA.  I think you can take a ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles or Seattle and make your way to SEATAC.  Not getting the $300 credit for not using air probably shouldn't be the deciding factor on an expensive cruise.

Marc

mrlevin, thanks for responding. We did receive the credit for the flights, we just didn't seem to have the option to use Regent air, actually the same situation exists for our Panama cruise, as well. It would be interesting to hear from other Canadians if this is the case with them?

I used ITA- matrix to search flights, and prices started at 2000+ round trip for first class(which as we know is hardly what one would consider first class domestically) pp. And from Seattle to Miami didn't show up at that price level.

I was just kind of wondering if others are even booking flights that far out at this time, and if so what their experience has been?

However, you have given me another scenario to look at, which is using points to fly to Seattle, and seeing what it would cost from there in first. It might be worth it if there is a non stop flight from there.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Booked on Splendour Feb. 3 22. We will be flying from Vancouver (hopefully), to Miami. I wasn't sure whether to take the air or the credit, but it seems we did not have the option, undoubtedly due to Covid, and coming from Canada.

Checked airfares, and as I suspected, really high. We have aeroplan, and Alaska mileage plan. Aeroplan shows most flights available being overnight or requiring 5+ hours overnight in airports, but not enough time to get a hotel.

Alaska shows a fairly good itinerary-YVR-DFW and DFW- Miami getting us there by 8:15 pm. However, only the first flight is in business/first. At least that is the longer of the two.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade main cabin to premium on an award ticket? I would be fine with the 3 hrs, but DH not so much.

I realize that the likelihood of this flight itinerary being changed over and over is probably very likely, however both aeroplan, and Alaska apparently allowing changes and cancellations without penalty. If this is true, it would seem a very good idea to book something now. 

Does anyone have any input or info on Alaska, or AA(which we would be flying on as Alaska,s partner) about these new rules?

We would be spending 3 nights pre cruise in Miami, and 2 post cruise- as I think a good buffer zone is a good idea in this climate.

This will just be our 2nd Regent cruise, and we have Panama Canal for Dec 22 booked as well (at least we will only have the long haul travel one way on that one.

Love to hear any input from any, and all!

I am curious as to why it seemed you didn't have the option to use Regent air.  We are using Regent to fly from Toronto to Miami in December and I don't see the issue you are seeing.

Edited by Grandmaanne7
clarification

Grandmaane7, I don't know if it is an issue with my TA. When I booked it just automatically gave me the air credit. I did enquire via email, but never received an answer to that.

So many posters have said that its just not worth taking Regent,s air if not flying internationally, so I just left it. Obviously I should have pursued it more at the time. Even so, I think we would have not been happy with what we would have been offered- flying from the west coast always seems to be very complicated, and I hate, hate, hate things like not having a comfortable connection time. Therefore, I am happy to do my own research, and part of that is to get opinions, info from the helpful people on this board.

our case is even more complicated, as we have to first get ourselves off Vancouver Island, again a feat not as simple as it sounds, esp. in winter😕😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't think you can book air through Regent until 270 days before cruise date...

Just saw your post. For what it's worth, we ALWAYS take Regent air. It is solid insurance against a problem with transportation as Regent assumes the responsibility.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 1

As others have posted Regent does not always take full responsibility.. My insurance policy is the 3 days pre, and 2 days post in Miami- we don't mind extending the trip with extra days in the sun🙂

With over 5000 nights booked, I have never seen Regent fail to take care of their clients. BTW, did you know that you can fly in 30 days early and fly home 30 days post-cruise with Regent?

• Like 1

There are lots of options out of YVR to MIA . It sounds as if you want first/business.  So some questions -

do you have miles/points or status that helps with upgrades. As this is round trip MIA buy and upgrade is the best option.  United upgrade opportunities can be seen while booking - for AA you have to call or look up on expertflyer.com.  If you have AMEX Plat this is an international route and may want to research their international airline program - not the cheapest but ....  

I do agree with getting in a day or two before the cruise - going home not so worried. 

Based on looking up your cruise - 3 Feb Splendor for 18 days - I used 31 Jan - 23 Feb and AA had a business/first YVR-DFW-MIA for and MIA-DFW-YVR for 905 RT - 2hr layover on way down and 3 on way back but with international business DFW or AMEX lounges are great.  

How else can we help?

16 hours ago, Pcardad said:

With over 5000 nights booked, I have never seen Regent fail to take care of their clients. BTW, did you know that you can fly in 30 days early and fly home 30 days post-cruise with Regent?

From your experience, could you provide additional details on what "taking responsibility" means, please?  Does Regent hold the ship (if so, for how long?)  Take care of making reservations to join the ship at the next port?  What if that next port is several sea days away--does Regent compensate you for the missed days if you have their air program?

Not trying to be argumentative, but as a new (hope to be new--two cruises cancelled by COVID-19 and thinking the third is iffy) cruiser with Regent, I'm also debating the merits of using Regent Air vice the potential savings of booking independently.  We have always booked our air for cruises independently, always arriving at least a day prior to the cruise's departure.  Waiting now to see what Regent Air offers for our Papeete to Auckland cruise in January 2022 when we reach the 270-day mark prior to departure.  (We plan to pay the deviation fee and still arrive early.)  Your experience on how Regent takes care of its clients will help inform this decision.

Many thanks,

I won't speak to corporate policy as I am not an employee. I will also preface my comments by stating that my people ALWAYS fly into the start port a few days early to relax prior to embarkation. I will limit my comments to personal experiences.

Having said that, in the few cases where there were issues, I have seen Regent rebook the clients onto a flight meeting the ship at the 2nd port and provide a private car to get them to the ship. I have also seen the Regent Air Desk spend hours to accommodate some special needs surrounding clients leaving the ship early in Bali last February due to COVID.

Their response is always "We will do what it takes" rather than "Sorry, there is nothing we can do."

• Thanks 1

If you read the fine print in your cruise documents, you will find Regent is not legally responsible for any issues associated with 3rd parties, including airlines, including air arrangements made by them for you.  Having said that, I have found that Regent does go above and beyond when problems arise.

And I am not disputing your statement, pcardad. The fact remains Regent states very clearly in their terms and conditions that they assume no responsibility for any issues that arise with any 3rd party vendors, and since you do not dispute my statement of what the t&c say, my statement regarding who is ultimately responsible for getting to the port must be accurate.

6 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

And I am not disputing your statement, pcardad. The fact remains Regent states very clearly in their terms and conditions that they assume no responsibility for any issues that arise with any 3rd party vendors, and since you do not dispute my statement of what the t&c say, my statement regarding who is ultimately responsible for getting to the port must be accurate.

If you buy your air from Regent, I am not certain they are a 3rd party vendor. Either way, my lack of knowledge on the subject should not be used as a basis for proving your statement.

Both of you are correct - and both have important data/information. Regent - all ship with a common carrier contract - limit their liability concerning ports, shore excursion, flights, etc. The ship only has to get you from the starting point to the end port - stops in-between can be skipped, left out, or missed  However these company's want to keep their customers happy and doing the things -like getting a flight to catch up with the ship, compensation if you miss a port - are those things. This is where Pcardad has the knowelge of the line and their custom and we should take some solace in their previous words/deeds. 

Ok, everyone, just to clarify, I got in touch with my TA, and she told me she could reinstate the flight credit so we could take Regent air. She also said we could have first class for a fee(don't know if I should state how much it would be here, but it would have been a little less then the flights I had checked out).

We seriously thinking about it, but overnight it came to me to try one more strategy, which was to start from Seattle instead of Vancouver, and that worked out pretty well using Alaska loyalty points on AA flights. Then I just booked return flights from Vancouver and back, coming in a day before to take care of any contingencies.

Hope this isn't tmi. Have to admit I am a bit of a dog with a bone when it comes to planning, now I just have to hope it wasn't all for nothing😱