Dress code

reef112

Hi all,

Never sailed with MSC before, booked on the maiden of Virtuosa next month - Excited!
Just wondering when/how I can find out how many nights will have a formal dress code? 

Thanks!
Dan

• Like 1

lol   Whenever someone asks about formal nights, it tickles me that there's always someone who chimes in to tell what at the absolute minimum is you can do.

In as much as knowing how and what to pack goes, Reef112, a good rule of thumb is on most cruise lines, there is 1 formal night every 7 days ... and the formal nights generally fall on at-sea days if there are any.  That might be less likely on a 7 day cruise.  The 2 week cruises almost always have at least one day out at sea all. 

User AmoMondo had some great tips in this old thread from 2010.  It's old, but the information is fairly general and pretty good.

• Like 1

We did two 7-night MSC cruises last year.  There were two formal nights each week.  Dress varied from tuxedos and long or cocktail dresses, to suits, to dress shirts.

White Night, mentioned above, was well represented, but the other theme nights not so much.

• Like 1

Dress codes aren't communicated very extensively and aren't enforced at all at MSC. Even on a 'formal night' you'll see many jeans and even some shorts. And others tend to dress up every night, also fine. Personally I'd even wear (and I have) jeans to a Michelin-star restaurant. Combined with a nice top, this can be very shipshape in my opinion and very suitable for a formal night on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

We're on a 4 night in June, I'm expecting one formal (think they call it Elegant on MSC). As long as you're reasonably smart you'll get away with anything on MSC. 

After months of being stuck at home I'm planning to dress up every night, I'm sure I won't be the only one😀

• Like 2

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

A gentleman on Preziosa in the Caribbean was turned away from YC restaurant  on formal night wearing a football/soccer team shirt. He didn't argue just left his family and got changed in a smart polo

Yes, there's one on every cruise....sounds like he knew fine, and was chancing his arm!