Formal Nights on Iona/Arviva

janny444

51 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agree but we were talking about number of formal nights  where dress code is identical between Cunard and P&O , except for Iona both have 2 per week.

The wearing of a jacket on non formal nights is another discussion I'm sure there will be many views on. However also feel what ever the dress code it is incumbent upon everyone  to look as if they have made an effort. Some people forget the SMART  in SMART casual. 

As 3 weeks is my longest  cruise formal dress fatigue has never set in, in fact on the 8 sea day leg would have liked more formal nights/balls to make evenings different.

I agree

1 hour ago, Jennizor said:

One of our most interesting experiences on a formal night was when a lady and her partner came into the bar in what they thought was ‘formal wear’. He was wearing a dinner suit but she was wearing a tiny white lace see through dress. He underwear was skimpy as everyone could see. A lot of people complained and she was asked to leave the bar. She burst into tears and her partner put his jacket around her and they left. We didn’t see them again. 

I know, I was so embarrassed that night that I never wore that dress again.😉

Avril

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I wonder who complained.  Men or women?

I wouldn't have complained!

Nor would I.  As a woman I would have felt embarrassed for her but never in a million years would I have complained.  She must have been mortified to be asked to leave.  In some parts of the country, she would be offered free drinks to come in dressed like that!  J.x

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Ah! the jacket required nights. I was on Arcadia and the Jacket required nights were interesting. The dining room looked like a tramps convention with every possible style and colour of jacket you could imagine. The ambience was a lot more stylish on evening casual nights. I did comment on it here at the time. Soon after they dropped the idea and about time too.

Just how formal is formal? For gentlemen P&O recommended a navy blue suit as entirely appropriate. This was in the peninsular club magazine where they got a designer to dress up a not too young couple. They looked very stylish too. So I adopted that dress code with either a baby blue or baby pink shirt and appropriate normal tie. I still wore a dinner suit on my Asia cruise though, simply because it was M&S's finest and I could wash the trousers, whilst my Navy blue suit required dry cleaning.

ps  - fashion police - if wearing a normal suit DO NOT wear a bow tie

pps - fashion police - DO NOT wear a red cummerbund, it makes you look like a circus ringmaster!

ppps - fashion police - the only coloured part of a gentleman's dinner suit should be the pocket square which can complement your partners dress colour, otherwise a white one, STARCHED

pppps -  fashion police - if you must wear a different coloured jacket,  please only white or cream. Do not dress as a stick of humbug or a deck-chair. (as seen on RCI's Indy)

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

pppps -  fashion police - if you must wear a different coloured jacket,  please only white or cream. Do not dress as a stick of humbug or a deck-chair. (as seen on RCI's Indy)

Avril

And what may I ask is wrong with a dark red or gold velvet jacket with black trousers? 

14 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

And what may I ask is wrong with a dark red or gold velvet jacket with black trousers? 

Or one of those colourful bow ties with lights on that spin round and round.?😂

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Nothing at all. I've seen a maroon jacket, not velvet though and it did look smart. I was merely referring to the odd jackets that I've seen before on formal nights, that's all.

Avril

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

ps  - fashion police - if wearing a normal suit DO NOT wear a bow tie

pps - fashion police - DO NOT wear a red cummerbund, it makes you look like a circus ringmaster!

ppps - fashion police - the only coloured part of a gentleman's dinner suit should be the pocket square which can complement your partners dress colour, otherwise a white one, STARCHED

PPPPS - fashion police - DO NOT wear a white bow tie with a black shirt. It makes you look like a demented vicar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

PPPPS - fashion police - DO NOT wear a white bow tie with a black shirt. It makes you look like a demented vicar.

Thank you, my wife and many others thought it looked very smart. Especially on Queen Elizabeth for the black and white night.  

I could go on about what women should not wear but I feel that would be rude.

Edited by MX-Drew

18 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Well, that's destroyed my confidence! I always thought it looked very cool, and a bit edgy!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

My dad has been known to wear that combination, but then he is a vicar, demented at times maybe 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My dad has been known to wear that combination, but then he is a vicar, demented at times maybe 😁

Ditto one of my brothers. Not always easy growing up as the local vicar's offspring.

34 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Thank you, my wife and many others thought it looked very smart. Especially on Queen Elizabeth for the black and white night.  

I could go on about what women should not wear but I feel that would be rude.

Opinions other than mine are always welcome; as I am never right, so you can safely ignore my views on sartorial elegance.

As for your second sentence, I would probably agree with you.😀

• Like 1

John and I love the formal nights, what I couldn’t get on with were the ‘semi formal’ John sat in a bar in the atrium in smart trousers and a smart shirt and the waiter discreetly told ME he needed a jacket!! I’ve no idea why he told me! 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Ditto one of my brothers. Not always easy growing up as the local vicar's offspring.

No, not always the easiest. Perfection often expected of us, not from family I hasten to add, and never achieved.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'm still mortified that people  complained about that poor woman's dress.

I think I would be as well but I think I would need to see some photo's to see how 

mortified I would have been before judging that poor lady .:classic_unsure:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'm still mortified that people  complained about that poor woman's dress.

The trouble is that this approach means 90% of the garments shown at London fashion week, which I expect cost more than many cruises would be banned

Probably a matronly woman squeezed into her ‘posh frock’ who was a bit envious of the shapely young woman or annoyed with her husband for smiling! Who really cares! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Probably a matronly woman squeezed into her ‘posh frock’ who was a bit envious of the shapely young woman or annoyed with her husband for smiling! Who really cares! 

I was thinking that! 

I’ve seen it in action. One night  in the theatre a younger woman came in, with a fairly low cut neck on her dress. I thought it looked fine, but the two older women behind me where moaning about the ‘display’ as they called it for about 10 minutes! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2