Princess Only Shore Excursions Confirmed

ChangeOrder

Was just reading this new part of the Princess website this morning, and saw the below. I'm ok with this in the short term just so we can get cruising again, but I really hope they do something with their overly expensive tour prices.

Only shore excursions that comply with our prescribed protocols will be permitted, with strict adherence required of all guests and denial of re-boarding for any guests who do not comply.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/covid-19-guest-protocols/

• Like 1

While it's certainly a possibility those will be Princess-only excursions, the statement doesn't specifically exclude independent operators who work to get approved by Princess to run their own excursions. If I were such an operator I'd be working hard to get certified.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

while we have taken mostly Princess excursions, i know, i know, I wouldn't have a major problem with that ... but, there's that but again,  I hope that somehow people will be allowed just to walk around in the immediate port shops without a guide telling them what shops and restaurants they can go into.  I want to be safe aka vaccinated ( we are ) and I want the "locals" to feel safe also

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I hope that somehow people will be allowed just to walk around in the immediate port shops without a guide telling them what shops and restaurants they can go into.  

Many ports I just spend a couple hours wandering the shops and visiting a local grocery for snacks, then head back to the ship. I will be sad to miss out on that, while again being fully understanding of the current situation we are in.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Most ports I just wander around the port.  My husband will snorkel if it is an island that has good snorkeling and I just walk the port.  Not sure I want to be herded around to shop.  Hopefully, wandering will be allowed again soon.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

while we have taken mostly Princess excursions, i know, i know, I wouldn't have a major problem with that ... but, there's that but again,  I hope that somehow people will be allowed just to walk around in the immediate port shops without a guide telling them what shops and restaurants they can go into.  I want to be safe aka vaccinated ( we are ) and I want the "locals" to feel safe also

Same

i understand this short term, but I won’t be going on any sardine packed bused with 40-50 passengers. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dog said:

Same

i understand this short term, but I won’t be going on any sardine packed bused with 40-50 passengers. 

Think about what are the choices if only Princess excursions, either those packed buses or buses with social distancing. If the latter, there probably will not be enough buses to accommodate all who want to see a port. 

• Like 1

I have a Baltics cruise booked and I need to be able to do a private excursion because my FIL is mobility challenged. He can't keep up with a bus load of people. I also don't like ship excursions. I just want to wander. If this is still in place by the time of final payment we'll be putting it off for another year.

• Like 2

They will have to add excursions and buses...I would imagine they are going to either add more of their own or approve a handful of vendors in each port. They will not be able to accommodate everyone otherwise

1 hour ago, ChangeOrder said:

Many ports I just spend a couple hours wandering the shops and visiting a local grocery for snacks, then head back to the ship. I will be sad to miss out on that, while again being fully understanding of the current situation we are in.

I love looking around local grocery stores.  The local items are of interest obviously, but it is really surprising to see how much you can see in common around the world.

• Like 1

I'm perfectly ok with this.  When I'm in new ports, I tend to do ship excursions anyway.  And my next cruise will be entirely brand new ports for me.  Plus there are excursions you can book that allow for shopping as well.

• Like 1

When we cruise we usually like to check our local restaurants and museums. If we can’t walk off and do those things we may not choose to cruise again. Our next cruise is Jan 2022 and we have 3 more scheduled after that in 2022. 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Think about what are the choices if only Princess excursions, either those packed buses or buses with social distancing. If the latter, there probably will not be enough buses to accommodate all who want to see a port. 

Oh...good point. Can't social distance in a full bus.

One of the problems with private shore excursions will  be that most have been shut down for well over a year.  They almost have to start from scratch which will take money.  We have a friend that works for a consolidator for tours all over the world and he says most of the independents are no where to be found they closed up shop long ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, franktown said:

One of the problems with private shore excursions will  be that most have been shut down for well over a year.  They almost have to start from scratch which will take money.  We have a friend that works for a consolidator for tours all over the world and he says most of the independents are no where to be found they closed up shop long ago.

This of course depends on the port and country 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

..... my FIL is mobility challenged. He can't keep up with a bus load of people. ....

There are small group and mobility impaired tours. I booked 1 in the Azores where it's 6 to the jeep

6 hours ago, medsed said:

They will have to add excursions and buses...

It's profitable so they will

• Like 1

Beware to all those who say "no big deal we always use cruise excursions anyway" , please note its been reported extensively by the reviews from the ships operating in Europe currently,  that the excursions EXCLUDE and FORBID any direct shopping or buying food while on the controlled excursions.

So basically it's a bubble,  off the ship - do the listed activity-  and straight back to the ship with absolutely no interaction with locals or merchants or mixing of peoples.

So as example, a port of call listed as 10 hrs (8:00am to 6:00pm) for most passengers the port day will consist only of the length of the excursion they purchase, and the price they paid for the privilege to leave the ship.

Sooooo, you be the judge if that's something that's going to exceptable on very port intensive itineraries..  

Edited by srpilo
  • Like 4

We mostly don't shop... In Alaska we like to go to the brewpubs. We're scheduled to visit Australia, New Zealand, and Tasmania. I don't know that a ship excursion would be something we really are interested in doing. A quick glance at what is available leaves me with major sticker shock and a desire to do things other than what is described.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Will we still be able to rent a van through the ship?

I still see it as an option for our cruise shore excursions on booked cruises. I had booked a private vehicle through Princess on some Cancelled cruises, but haven’t on any of my current booked ones. I could see them accepting the booking and cancelling on board, but I’m becoming cynical with all the cancellations   

I have never been on a ship excursion. We are not really beach people, and we just enjoy walking around town for a few hours and maybe have a bite to eat at one of the local restaurants.  I would hope that would still be allowed, but I seriously doubt it will be. 

• Like 1