Ccl shareholder ?

Hflors

Unfortunately, this is one of the best kept secrets that needs to shouted out to all those that book voyages with any of the Carnival Corporation brand cruise lines.

My grandfather taught me 60 years ago to invest in those products that you use.  The shareholder benefit is what I call a not taxable dividend for cruising with them.

It's easy to go through the process of getting the information in to the cruise line regarding your upcoming voyage and it is applied right away for your use once onboard.

One of the ways to further use this is that instead of booking a long voyage, that might be a transatlantic for example, but has within it leaving leaving and returning to the same port then leaving from that port and doing the transatlantic for the rest of the voyage.  This could be booked as a 28-day or they also have a booking that covers the 14-day first part and then the 14-day for the transatlantic portion.  If this is the case, book the two segments as a B2B and receive a shareholder benefit for both that would be double than for the 28-day.  In most cases, there is no fare difference for booking as a B2B than the 28-day and in some cases, it might even be less for some reason.

The other great benefit of the stock now is that is at a cost that is well below its value in the future once we get back to sea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Grego said:

This could be booked as a 28-day or they also have a booking that covers the 14-day first part and then the 14-day for the transatlantic portion.  If this is the case, book the two segments as a B2B and receive a shareholder benefit for both that would be double than for the 28-day.  In most cases, there is no fare difference for booking as a B2B than the 28-day and in some cases, it might even be less for some reason.

Make sure to check prices before splitting a long cruise into back-to-back cruises.  In our experience, the opposite has been true.  The longer cruise has been lower priced than doing back-to-backs in about 95% of the long cruises that we have done.

• Like 3

We have also really scored with this OBC benefit.  Over the years we have received more in OBC than we paid for our original purchase of 100 shares, however we cruise a lot (used to 😟)

We took a long voyage from L.A. around South America to N.Y. and received $750 in OBC.  This was three separate B2B.  It is important though to check prices and compare to the complete voyage.  I think the cruise lines are now more careful and booking legs separately is pricier.

Of course, CCL could end this benefit at any time.  Generally it is renewed annually but these are uncertain times so who knows.

• Like 3

I bought Carnival stock because I like  some of the product and I believed in the company.

Unfortunately, I bought the stock years ago near its high, and the stock price plummeting soon after.  I have an unrealized loss of thousands of dollars on my investment.  The Shareholders' On Board Credit benefit does NOT come close to making up for the loss.

Buy the stock only if it makes sense for you from an investment perspective.  Do NOT buy it just for the Shareholders' On Board Credit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I bought Carnival stock because I like  some of the product and I believed in the company.

Unfortunately, I bought the stock years ago near its high, and the stock price plummeting soon after.  I have an unrealized loss of thousands of dollars on my investment.  The Shareholders' On Board Credit benefit does NOT come close to making up for the loss.

Buy the stock only if it makes sense for you from an investment perspective.  Do NOT buy it just for the Shareholders' On Board Credit.

or just buy the needed 100 shares

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ehogan said:

Of course, CCL could end this benefit at any time.  Generally it is renewed annually but these are uncertain times so who knows.

It has already been renewed for another year.

Let us not forget that in "normal" times CCL also pays a dividend, which could be reinstated once the corporation gets back on its feet again. 

Either way, investing in what you use makes sense to me.  When the pandemic hit and the stock took a tumble we were quick to show our support and invest more.  Granted we don't get any more SHB by having hundreds of shares, but as a long term investment it will be successful for both of us.

Edited by Grego

18 hours ago, ehogan said:

We have also really scored with this OBC benefit.  Over the years we have received more in OBC than we paid for our original purchase of 100 shares, however we cruise a lot (used to 😟)

We took a long voyage from L.A. around South America to N.Y. and received $750 in OBC.  This was three separate B2B.  It is important though to check prices and compare to the complete voyage.  I think the cruise lines are now more careful and booking legs separately is pricier.

It is a marketing tool that costs them next to nothing while promoting their cruise lines. There is no reason to drop it. And dropping it would also lead to bad public relations with many of their most loyal customers.

Edited by ontheweb

Also note that many 401k plans allow stock purchase, so you can use money that you are not going to spend anyway.  I did have to sell and rebuy when I closed out the 401k but many companies allow you to continue the plan after retirement.  While CCL was doing dividends it easily doubled my holdings and I was getting OBC on top of that.  Small part of the total 401k and well worth setting it up.  Stock is down now just below where I bought it, but it will certainly return at some point.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mike45LC said:

We bought the stock when it was at high compared to what it was afterward.  Nowhere near the price it was before the pandemic.  We think between the dividends we used to get and the OBC, we've about made up the entire price.  We bought in 2007, though.