Senators Introduce New CRUISE Act to Overrule CDC Order

hcat

On 4/17/2021 at 1:45 PM, 4774Papa said:

Yes, cruisemom, likewise I always enjoy your posts.

Of course the government is concerned about protecting people and working to stem the spread of this virus.  However, it is not immune from political errors, such as ignoring the spread of COVID19 among illegal immigrants.   

Yes the government ??  Makes sense that after a 100% capacity shoulder to shoulder almost 4 hour flight to Texas the tell you to "REMEMBER FEDERAL MANDATES REQUIRE YOU TO SOCIALLY DISTANCE WHEN LEAVING THE PLANE." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

The point is we are all under "heaven's" surveillance.

What does your post have to do with being self-responsible by wearing a mask to protect yourself AND your neighbor.  I may arguably live "under heavens surveillance" but "heaven helps those who help themselves" and I do that by following CDC guidelines.  So if you live solely under heaven's surveillance, then you evidently don't wear a seatbelt in an auto (as required by the DVM) or on a plane (as required by the FAA) or wear a mask when recommended by the CDC, because Devine Providence will keep you safe and to heck with your neighbor.  You reap what you sow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, El Crucero said:

What does your post have to do with being self-responsible by wearing a mask to protect yourself AND your neighbor.  I may arguably live "under heavens surveillance" but "heaven helps those who help themselves" and I do that by following CDC guidelines.  So if you live solely under heaven's surveillance, then you evidently don't wear a seatbelt in an auto (as required by the DVM) or on a plane (as required by the FAA) or wear a mask when recommended by the CDC, because Devine Providence will keep you safe and to heck with your neighbor.  You reap what you sow.

I was forced to follow “rules” for first 31 years (exact half of my life) in Russia. Enough is enough. I can make decisions for myself including seatbelts that you referred to. As my friend said who also left Russia 40 years ago, “I already was scared and frightened; I refuse to go through it again”. Seriously, we already had a spoon of tart in our barrel of honey. No more.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

I was forced to follow “rules” for first 31 years (exact half of my life) in Russia. Enough is enough. I can make decisions for myself including seatbelts that you referred to. As my friend said who also left Russia 40 years ago, “I already was scared and frightened; I refuse to go through it again”. Seriously, we already had a spoon of tart in our barrel of honey. No more.

“There is nothing more permanent than temporary.”

6 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

“There is nothing more permanent than temporary.”

Here is the most ridiculous kindergarten-like “recommendation”: wash your hands (as if prior to March 2020 it was recommended not to).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

I was forced to follow “rules” for first 31 years (exact half of my life) in Russia. Enough is enough. I can make decisions for myself...

Just because you now live in "the land of the free" doesn't mean you have carte blanche to do whatever the hell you feel like. There are still laws. And there is still social responsibility. There is still a moral obligation to be a decent human being.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have always been one to err on the side of caution because that’s what works for me. I do not think that the CDC has dragged its feet or discriminated against cruise lines and cruising in general. But, at some point we must test our mettle, experience our accomplishments and learn from our efforts. The results we encounter may not be everything we desire but they can show us where we are and where we need to go. Continuing to deny sailings of “safe ships” from any port that will allow embarkations is counter-productive to what everyone connected to the cruising activity is trying to accomplish.

That being said, do we continue to shy away because Covid cases continue to rise in some places while other areas show improvement? Should Covid levels always be the driving force in determining future cruising? If that be the case, then our vaccination success and adherence to the new cruising protocols will never be given the opportunity to prove how effective they really are. It is in a less than perfect environment where true efficacy is determined.

Politicians and politics notwithstanding, perhaps it’s time for trust and confidence to replace authority and control. USA ports are critical to the cruise business, no doubt about that. It is time to open them up and let them help enable cruising to once again thrive.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I have always been one to err on the side of caution because that’s what works for me. I do not think that the CDC has dragged its feet or discriminated against cruise lines and cruising in general. But, at some point we must test our mettle, experience our accomplishments and learn from our efforts. The results we encounter may not be everything we desire but they can show us where we are and where we need to go. Continuing to deny sailings of “safe ships” from any port that will allow embarkations is counter-productive to what everyone connected to the cruising activity is trying to accomplish.

That being said, do we continue to shy away because Covid cases continue to rise in some places while other areas show improvement? Should Covid levels always be the driving force in determining future cruising? If that be the case, then our vaccination success and adherence to the new cruising protocols will never be given the opportunity to prove how effective they really are. It is in a less than perfect environment where true efficacy is determined.

Politicians and politics notwithstanding, perhaps it’s time for trust and confidence to replace authority and control. USA ports are critical to the cruise business, no doubt about that. It is time to open them up and let them help enable cruising to once again thrive.   

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.  America is a challenge partly because of our freedom of thought.  If told to line up we ask why.  Other cultures follow directions almost without any thought.

The Covid virus has become infinitely worse because of international travel as the virus mutates.  While I agree we could have cruises to and from US ports limited to Americans; travel to multiple countries with passengers from all over the World makes for more Covid variants and infections.  And not necessarily on board.  The airports, airplanes and travel provide multiple opportunities for infection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.  America is a challenge partly because of our freedom of thought.  If told to line up we ask why.

Maybe because we're still trying to figure out what Yogi meant when he said 'Pair off in threes'... :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.  America is a challenge partly because of our freedom of thought.  If told to line up we ask why.  Other cultures follow directions almost without any thought.

The Covid virus has become infinitely worse because of international travel as the virus mutates.  While I agree we could have cruises to and from US ports limited to Americans; travel to multiple countries with passengers from all over the World makes for more Covid variants and infections.  And not necessarily on board.  The airports, airplanes and travel provide multiple opportunities for infection.

It is not a total attempt to test the waters if ships cannot sail from and back to US ports. We have got to be in on the exercise in order to see how we do. Indeed, US citizens living in America only with stops at US ports only. Got to be a small step before the giant leap.

On 4/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, 4774Papa said:

Cruising should be allowed by July, considering the pace of vaccinations in the USA.  Require a vaccination or proof that you have had the virus.    We just did a trip from Georgia to Texas by air and airports are showing more passengers.  Our flights were full, however Delta had middle seats blocked unless you were traveling with others.  

This was a letter I just got from my Representative.....Although there are talks, he mentions November as the start to US cruising.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support for restarting the cruise industry. This is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Like you, I believe it is time to start safely reopening American businesses across the country, including the U.S. cruise industry. As you know, the cruise industry plays a critical role for our economy here in California. In fact, California is ranked second among the states that benefitted the most from cruise industry revenues in 2019. The U.S. cruise industry generated revenues of $55.5 billion and contributed to employing more than 436,000 Americans in 2019. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has allowed restaurant dining, hotel reservations, and even air travel to resume with safety protocols in place. Unfortunately, the CDC has indicated that cruise travel might not re-open until November 1, 2021. Additionally, the Biden Administration recently halted the cruise ship industry's plans to re-open in July. If individuals can safely visit big box stores, dine-in restaurants, and fly side by side on aircraft, then the cruise industry deserves the chance to put in place strong safety measures and to re-open. I will certainly look for ways to convey my support for the cruise industry with the Biden Administration as we continue to push for policies that safely re-open our schools and businesses.

Thank you again for contacting me. Your thoughts and opinions are of critical importance to me as I work to represent California's 8th District in Congress. If you would like to stay informed on what is happening in Washington, D.C. and the 8th District of California, I encourage you to sign up for my newsletter. I sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

obernolte+sig.png

Rep. Jay Obernolte
Member of Congress

8 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

This was a letter I just got from my Representative.....Although there are talks, he mentions November as the start to US cruising.

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your support for restarting the cruise industry. This is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Like you, I believe it is time to start safely reopening American businesses across the country, including the U.S. cruise industry. As you know, the cruise industry plays a critical role for our economy here in California. In fact, California is ranked second among the states that benefitted the most from cruise industry revenues in 2019. The U.S. cruise industry generated revenues of $55.5 billion and contributed to employing more than 436,000 Americans in 2019. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has allowed restaurant dining, hotel reservations, and even air travel to resume with safety protocols in place. Unfortunately, the CDC has indicated that cruise travel might not re-open until November 1, 2021. Additionally, the Biden Administration recently halted the cruise ship industry's plans to re-open in July. If individuals can safely visit big box stores, dine-in restaurants, and fly side by side on aircraft, then the cruise industry deserves the chance to put in place strong safety measures and to re-open. I will certainly look for ways to convey my support for the cruise industry with the Biden Administration as we continue to push for policies that safely re-open our schools and businesses.

Thank you again for contacting me. Your thoughts and opinions are of critical importance to me as I work to represent California's 8th District in Congress. If you would like to stay informed on what is happening in Washington, D.C. and the 8th District of California, I encourage you to sign up for my newsletter. I sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

obernolte+sig.png

Rep. Jay Obernolte
Member of Congress

Seems to be more of at least a "real" response rather than just standard politician bluster, answering with no answer. 

The Feds are restricting/limiting access to our National Parks.  For many parks you must now pay for a timed entry ticket with a limited number of tickets.  If  they are limiting outdoor activities such as the national parks it is difficult to believe that they will open up cruising anytime soon.

4 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Meanwhile I haven't gotten any replies from my Senators or Representative.  Living in a one-party state...

15 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Yup. The bill will not make it to the floor for a vote.  The House bill is destined for the same fate. 

All the chest thumping by the pols is going to do nothing but gain them a few votes in the next election.  Same with the Florida and Alaska lawsuit.  I would be far more impressed if all of this aggressive action had been taken last Summer or Fall, but the political motivation was not the same then.

Maybe the cruise lines can now work earnestly with the CDC. The CSO is not going away, but at least the two parties started to work more productively with each other as of April 12th. 

22 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Yup. The bill will not make it to the floor for a vote.  The House bill is destined for the same fate. 

All the chest thumping by the pols is going to do nothing but gain them a few votes in the next election.  Same with the Florida and Alaska lawsuit.  I would be far more impressed if all of this aggressive action had been taken last Summer or Fall, but the political motivation was not the same then.

Maybe the cruise lines can now work earnestly with the CDC. The CSO is not going away, but at least the two parties started to work more productively with each other as of April 12th. 

That's what Fain says. They are having productive conversations. We'll see in a few months. 

As far as the bill, the content was laughable.

The main 4 objectives of he bill are already in place or 'ensure' CDC and HHS can do their job. So what was the point? Someone wasted a lot of time working on that.

• Like 1

Letter from my senator in PA.  Pat Toomey.

Thank you for contacting me about the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on cruise ships. I appreciate hearing from you. 

Since the first case of the COVID-19 virus was reported, our understanding of the virus and how to mitigate its transmission has improved drastically and will continue to grow. We now have hundreds of tests, numerous treatments, and three vaccines available. These will help reduce infections, hospitalizations, and deaths resulting from the virus and I am hopeful that, over time, wide dissemination of the vaccine will aid in ending the pandemic.

Specific to your concerns, on March 14, 2020, the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a No Sail Order for all cruise ships operating in U.S. waters and subsequently extended the order multiple times. On October 30, 2020, CDC issued a framework for a phased resumption of cruise ship operations. On April 2, 2021, CDC issued additional guidance for mitigating COVID-19 on cruise ships. However, CDC did not announce a date on which cruise ships will be permitted to resume operations.

On April 13, 2021, Senator Dan Sullivan (D-AK) introduced the Careful Resumption Under Improved Safety Enhancements (CRUISE) Act (S. 1105). Among its provisions, this measure would require CDC to issue recommendations on mitigating COVID-19 on cruise ships and revoke the order issued on October 30, 2020 and allow for the resumption of cruise ship operations by July 4, 2021. S. 1105 is currently pending before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, of which I am not a member. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this measure come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I may be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Signature

23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Nothing too enlightening in the letter.  What was your original question to your Senator?

It was in response to the form letter I sent in from Celebrity Captain's Club and CLIA.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, cruisemom42 said:

From previous discussions I know you are intelligent enough to not fall into these "if it's not black it must be white" fallacies.  Of course the government is concerned. And they are working to stem the tide. 

They know how to stem the tide. Put the protocols back in place that had been working. But they'd have to admit they did something unwise. Pride rules, unfortunately.