Welcome to all of us Canadians on Cruise Critic!

CRUISINGCANUCKS99

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Just about everything they make is sub standard  ,like it’s broken before you get out of the shop.

I think to get a visa and go to China you have to get one of their vaccines .
So I won’t be going there.

Same thing happened to our commonwealth serum laboratory that makes our vaccines.

The government sold it years ago and it’s now worth 20,000% more.
They don’t want to make the new vaccines here so our government is going to build a new factory for them.

Here, here. We still have China Visas from our 2020 WC, but have zero desire to return. Have enjoyed many trips to Hong Kong, but since China isn't living up to that agreement, we probably won't return to HK either.

Also agree with Chinese quality control. With a new contract, we found they could meet the standard, but then quality went down. For many safety parts, we routinely specified not China made.

• Like 1

I now only travel on Azamara and use open seating at supper. The gratuities are included so  there's never a problem of coming up with  a slip of cash, or having tips added. They offer sedate activities eg trivia, lectures, music, rather than water slides, bowling alleys, rock climbing etc, and therefore attract a more mature crowd of 750 passengers. On  the 3 trips I've taken with them I've never seen a child, and only in Antarctica did I see  2 teenage brothers.

I was thinking about your concerns re: others not tipping at the last supper: perhaps the tips were added to their bill, and they wanted to use the time to pack up?

I'm from Brampton Ontario, just outside of  Toronto (don't hate me), and am travelling with 2 friends from Ottawa. Our  next trip is on the  Azamara Journey May 2022, Singapore to  Athens.

TEABAG,  I think you're on that one as well.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We pay Trudeau to manage the procurement/distribution of the vaccine and securing the borders to keep out both the original infections and laterly the new variants. These are clearly Federal responsibilities.

Providing specific examples of how the Govt could perform better is well outside our scope, as we don't have all the facts. However, we can determine Trudeau's performance by comparing him to his peers, especially countries with similar models of Government - specifically UK, NZ & Australia.

With respect to vaccine procurement and distribution, UK leads by a country mile. They were at the head of the queue for purchasing and also started planning the distribution logistics back in mid 2020. When the UK vaccines arrived in December they already had hundreds of vaccination centres ready to go, with the required equipment.

In Canada, I believe Trudeau announced in late November he appointed a General to manage the process. UK started planning for the distribution about 6 months before the vaccines were approved, Trudeau started only a couple of weeks before Pfizer was approved on 9th December. Therefore, in BC when the vaccines arrived we had only 2 hospitals capable of providing shots. No planning took place as Engineers at our local hospital got minimal notice of freezers arriving. 

NZ & Australia have received slower vaccine delivery than UK, but to protect their citizens, both those Governments implemented effective border controls and quarantine standards. Trudeau implemented a highly ineffective quarantine program with ridiculous loopholes, after the UK and Brazil variants had already arrived, and were spreading rapidly. The inability of Trudeau to close the borders in a timely manner caused the 3rd wave in Canada. Then to prove he still doesn't learn, flights from India were stopped after cases of the India variant were reported in Canada. Trudeau repeatedly states his quarantine measures work, but the facts prove a contrary opinion.

Compared to his peers, Trudeau has failed miserably on both the procurement/distribution of the vaccine and the ability to secure the borders to keep out new variants.

So you really have no reasonable idea how procument might have been better manage. Thanks for the positive contribution 🙄.

You don't think the nearly 9,000 km border with the US and the billion dollars a day in trade might pose issues not faced by the island nations of AU, NZ, and UK?

Given that there is no way Canada could realistically close all its borders, closing any strikes me as less than optimal. Given our dependance on US imports enforced quarantines are also not practical.

Now that vaccines are available I would like to see the government restrict entry to the fully vaccinated. (I can already hear the screams from those opposed to vaccinations.)

I don't know about BC, but ON wasn't ready for mass vaccinations when it started to receive inventory. We can play the blame game but that will not do anything to make things better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

So you really have no reasonable idea how procument might have been better manage. Thanks for the positive contribution 🙄.

You don't think the nearly 9,000 km border with the US and the billion dollars a day in trade might pose issues not faced by the island nations of AU, NZ, and UK?

Given that there is no way Canada could realistically close all its borders, closing any strikes me as less than optimal. Given our dependance on US imports enforced quarantines are also not practical.

Now that vaccines are available I would like to see the government restrict entry to the fully vaccinated. (I can already hear the screams from those opposed to vaccinations.)

I don't know about BC, but ON wasn't ready for mass vaccinations when it started to receive inventory. We can play the blame game but that will not do anything to make things better.

Well the numbers are going down in Ont, Quebec and BC. We are finally reaching the younger age groups which are our workforce and live in multi-generation homes and minimize infection.

Moving forward, Canada is working on home research and production of vaccines. Canada is looking at joining the Green Digital passport for international travel.

Opening the US borders may be more logistically challenging for day trips as our population is 10% of theirs. If 25% of their population decide not to get vaccinated that would be 2.5 times of Canada's population. So it would make sense for Canada to require proof of vaccination to prevent another outbreak.    

1 hour ago, littlebrownbook said:

I now only travel on Azamara and use open seating at supper. The gratuities are included so  there's never a problem of coming up with  a slip of cash, or having tips added. They offer sedate activities eg trivia, lectures, music, rather than water slides, bowling alleys, rock climbing etc, and therefore attract a more mature crowd of 750 passengers. On  the 3 trips I've taken with them I've never seen a child, and only in Antarctica did I see  2 teenage brothers.

I was thinking about your concerns re: others not tipping at the last supper: perhaps the tips were added to their bill, and they wanted to use the time to pack up?

I'm from Brampton Ontario, just outside of  Toronto (don't hate me), and am travelling with 2 friends from Ottawa. Our  next trip is on the  Azamara Journey May 2022, Singapore to  Athens.

TEABAG,  I think you're on that one as well.

Yes, we are and we are so looking forward to trying Azamara.  I really like everything I read about it.  We have also added on the Tokyo segment but I wish I could change a few of the ports!!  I am disappointed that they are spending 2 days in Hong Kong and not going to Hanoi at all.

I look forward to meeting you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

Yes, we are and we are so looking forward to trying Azamara.  I really like everything I read about it.  We have also added on the Tokyo segment but I wish I could change a few of the ports!!  I am disappointed that they are spending 2 days in Hong Kong and not going to Hanoi at all.

I look forward to meeting you. 

I just wish we didn't have so many sea days. We were originally booked on  a Road Scholar Adventures Afloat trip,   had more land excursions included but was cancelled due to Covid. I much preferred that, as I am not really interested in India, but this is the next best we could find. I am also not really enthused about the  long plane trip to Singapore. We will probably go a couple of  days early, to see some of Singapore.

To go early to see Singapore is a really good plan.  DH used to work in Singapore and I loved my days as a tourist.  I am sorry we are not going to be in Singapore for a few days also, since we added on the Japan segment.  Since we sail at 6PM we won't be able to see the gardens at night.  if you do go early, make sure you see the night Safari.  It is great.  Last time we were in Singapore it was also on a cruise and we flew in a few days early.  Unfortunately I had Sciatica and was not really able to walk very far so we missed the whole new botanic garden area with the Ferris wheel.  We definitely want to see that this time.  Sentosa is another place you should try and see.

Here is the link for the roll call if you are interested in joining. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767493-azamara-journey-may-13-2022-spice-route-cruise/?tab=comments#comment-60623728

Hopefully as we get nearer to the cruise COVID will be a distant memory (dreaming!) and we will be able to organize private tours.

8 hours ago, broberts said:

Wow, I'm surprised that some of our Australian friends monitoring this thread didn't pick up your reference to Australia as being an "Island".😀

With respect to vaccine procurement, it has nothing to do with not having reasonable ideas on managing vaccine procurement, since it is clearly a mute point. Trudeau has contracted for so much vaccine, we shouldn't have to purchase any additional supply.

Canada is not alone in having special challenges, but for effective leaders, challenges are not insurmountable. Trudeau couldn't even effectively manage a quarantine for non-business or non-essential pax arriving by air. The huge loophole of allowing them to fly into the US, then crossing a land border, negated any effective quarantine, resulting in the 3rd wave.

With respect to vaccination, I definitely agree with you that we should only accept fully vaccinated travellers at all borders - land, air and sea. The acceptable vaccines shall only include the ones approved in Canada, so China, Russia, etc are not accepted. In addition, I will be happy to see mandatory vaccinations required for attending large events, schools (applicable to ages that can be vaccinated), all flights, ferry trips, etc.

• Like 2

Let's please try to keep the politics out of this.

None of us know any of the logistics involved nor do we know the reasons behind the previous shortages of vaccine. And let's not even start about securing our border, that was impossible from the start.

I do have to say that one day in jail for blatant disregard of public health orders is hardly a deterrent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, I'm surprised that some of our Australian friends monitoring this thread didn't pick up your reference to Australia as being an "Island".😀

Gilligan's Island ,      where’s Ginger.

Largest Island,smallest continent or it was , I don’t know how the metric system affects it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

To go early to see Singapore is a really good plan.  DH used to work in Singapore and I loved my days as a tourist.  I am sorry we are not going to be in Singapore for a few days also, since we added on the Japan segment.  Since we sail at 6PM we won't be able to see the gardens at night.  if you do go early, make sure you see the night Safari.  It is great.  Last time we were in Singapore it was also on a cruise and we flew in a few days early.  Unfortunately I had Sciatica and was not really able to walk very far so we missed the whole new botanic garden area with the Ferris wheel.  We definitely want to see that this time.  Sentosa is another place you should try and see.

Here is the link for the roll call if you are interested in joining. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767493-azamara-journey-may-13-2022-spice-route-cruise/?tab=comments#comment-60623728

Hopefully as we get nearer to the cruise COVID will be a distant memory (dreaming!) and we will be able to organize private tours.

Two other good things about Azamara worth noting: there is a free self-serve laundry  inc soap and iron, so you don't need to pack so many clothes.   Suits and gowns are out of place  on this ship.

Also there will be a wonderful BBQ buffet  called  "white night" held outside on the pool deck. Enough room for everyone . They  remove the loungers from around the pool, and move the tables and chairs outside from the buffet restaurant . Everyone, crew and guests wear white, the crew entertains on a small stage, there'll be dancing after dinner. Drinks  as always on Azamara are included.

On 5/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, Blackduck59 said:

While I did "like" the gist of that post the "interprovincial" part is very much a non starter. I have commented many times on another board about border closures within the same country.

It seemed to work well for the "Atlantic bubble", until they relaxed the checks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, littlebrownbook said:

It seemed to work well for the "Atlantic bubble", until they relaxed the checks

All of the Maritime provinces combined are pretty small compared to BC so policing those borders is not quite the same task is it?

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

All of the Maritime provinces combined are pretty small compared to BC so policing those borders is not quite the same task is it?

Everyone forgets Labrador. 🙂

Edited by broberts

22 minutes ago, broberts said:

Everyone forgets Labrador. 🙂

Technically Newfoundland and Labrador is not one of the "maritime" provinces. And I don't think they were in the Maritime "Bubble".

Edited by Blackduck59

55 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Technically Newfoundland and Labrador is not one of the "maritime" provinces. And I don't think they were in the Maritime "Bubble".

They were in the Atlantic Bubble.

• Like 1

The cruise and Covid news today is very very good.  For the first time I actually believe that we are going to be able to do our Baltics Attempt #7 cruise in May.

BTW - I tried to edit the above post but it wouldn't let me.  I meant to add an LOL.  The problem with emails is that they don't have a Sarcastic Font.  😉

20 minutes ago, broberts said:

Border closure extended another month. 

I can't figure out if our slow vaccination rate is a supply problem or not enough needle pushers.

And I can’t figure out why you’re pushing the slow vaccination rate....

9100F424-9D2C-4DDA-A1E5-43B7626A702B.png

8 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

And I can’t figure out why you’re pushing the slow vaccination rate....

9100F424-9D2C-4DDA-A1E5-43B7626A702B.png

I'm mentioning it because at the rate we are going we will likely not reach 60% fully vaccinated before September / October. It's great that Canada's rate has overtaken the US rate but recognize that this is in part because the US has slowed. 

The graph is ultimately misleading because it only compares the rate of vaccination. Just over 48% of Canadians have received at least one dose, over 69% of Americans have received at least one shot. More telling is the sad fact that less than 5% of Canadians have been fully vaccinated while over 38% of Americans have been fully vaccinated.

CA Data from https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

1 hour ago, broberts said:

I'm mentioning it because at the rate we are going we will likely not reach 60% fully vaccinated before September / October. It's great that Canada's rate has overtaken the US rate but recognize that this is in part because the US has slowed. 

The graph is ultimately misleading because it only compares the rate of vaccination. Just over 48% of Canadians have received at least one dose, over 69% of Americans have received at least one shot. More telling is the sad fact that less than 5% of Canadians have been fully vaccinated while over 38% of Americans have been fully vaccinated.

CA Data from https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

So, if you have to make a choice, what’s your preference?  75% of Canadians with at least one dose by July 1 or 40% fully vaccinated?  Efficacy of a single dose appears to be better than originally anticipated.

The graph is not misleading if you read below the header and make an effort to understand what is being looked at/represented.

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

So, if you have to make a choice, what’s your preference?  75% of Canadians with at least one dose by July 1 or 40% fully vaccinated?  Efficacy of a single dose appears to be better than originally anticipated.

The graph is not misleading if you read below the header and make an effort to understand what is being looked at/represented.

I simply don't have the background to make a choice between one dose and fully vaccinated. My issue is with the fact that we are nearly halfway through the year and maybe 30% of the job has been done.

My preference is to gain an impression of urgency within our various bureaucracies and leaderships. My current impression is that the belief is everything is progressing as it should and if it takes a few extra months to get everyone vaccinated, so be it.

The graph is accurate but it leads to a false  sense of satisfaction as I outlined in my previous post.

I do keep hearing we may not have to wait the 4 months to get the second shot.  The day we went, half the vaccination stations were empty with no personnel to fill them.  I said if I weren't so old I would volunteer as I'm a retired lab tech.  She said, "We'd take you in a second!"

I think we got off to a slow start with not enough vaccine but we're catching up.  Yay Canada!

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I do keep hearing we may not have to wait the 4 months to get the second shot.  The day we went, half the vaccination stations were empty with no personnel to fill them.  I said if I weren't so old I would volunteer as I'm a retired lab tech.  She said, "We'd take you in a second!"

I think we got off to a slow start with not enough vaccine but we're catching up.  Yay Canada!

Actually, Canada’s numbers are relatively good.  Covid deaths per million population is currently 660.

Compare that to the US at  1,810 deaths per million pop and the UK at 1,870.