A good Travel Agent is . . .

very, very nice to have.  I got an email from mine a few minutes ago s saying they were on the phone with Royal because it looked like there  were price drops on both parts of our B2B out of Nassau.  Before I could type this, I got another email with new invoices because our prices went down by a total of $468. Now I'm trying to figure out what rum drink I should make to celebrate.

I need suggestions.

Tom

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

very, very nice to have.  I got an email from mine a few minutes ago s saying they were on the phone with Royal because it looked like there  were price drops on both parts of our B2B out of Nassau.  Before I could type this, I got another email with new invoices because our prices went down by a total of $468. Now I'm trying to figure out what rum drink I should make to celebrate.

I need suggestions.

Tom

Celebrate?
La Favorite - La Filbuste (any release)

21 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I need suggestions.

Tom

It was two cruises...doesn't that call for a double.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Prices going down, only means one thing. Not selling as well as they had hoped for.  😞  Good for those who have booked, but I guess the Pent- up demand is not what they thought or is what they have been saying.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I guess the Pent- up demand is not what they thought or is what they have been saying.

There may be pent up demand in general, just not for that particular sailing/home port, which if you read the boards here, requires logistics many don't want to bother with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There may be pent up demand in general, just not for that particular sailing/home port, which if you read the boards here, requires logistics many don't want to bother with.

That's not what Royal Caribbean is wanting to hear. When they set a price on a cruise that is what they are suppose to be gauging.

Edited by Jimbo

Or set them high to start knowing that they will likely end up lowering them at some point, but also knowing that most people don't ask for a reprice when the price does fall.  Leads to maximum revenue while still being consumer friendly by allowing the reprice when asked.

Since I've been able to reprice at least half of our cruises over the past five years and all of those cruises sailed at or very close to full I think this is more likely than lack of demand.  My percentage of reprices will go down next year due to the Lift and Shifts from Empress and Majesty but we are booked at ~70% discount to normal prices so I won't complain.  As always, YMMV.

7 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I need suggestions.

Tom

Your very lucky to have a TA that did that.  I see price drops and call my TA and she's out of the office and no one can do it.  Of course the price went up by the time she got around to hearing my message. That is why I don't use TA's anymore.  Seems I do better booking on my own.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Prices going down, only means one thing. Not selling as well as they had hoped for.  😞  Good for those who have booked, but I guess the Pent- up demand is not what they thought or is what they have been saying.

Pent up demand vs willingness to pay the higher prices. Just looked at Navigator prices for a 3 night out of Los Angeles for the first cruise from new home port Nov. 2021.  A 3 night C2 balcony is $1400.00 for two. And that is with the 60% off for second guest.  Not worth it for a crappy visit to Cabo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Or they set them higher to begin with to guage demand. 

Anyway you look at it, it's bad. It's like setting a price on a house you are selling to high and it just sits there with no offers. Set's a bad image when cruiise prices are set to high.

48 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Pent up demand vs willingness to pay the higher prices. Just looked at Navigator prices for a 3 night out of Los Angeles for the first cruise from new home port Nov. 2021.  A 3 night C2 balcony is $1400.00 for two. And that is with the 60% off for second guest.  Not worth it for a crappy visit to Cabo. 

That is a ridiculous price for three nights on Navigator. If RCI thinks that I miss cruising so much that I will forego looking for good value for my money they are sadly mistaken.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I think the better strategy might be to set the prices really low to start off with to get people back into cruising again, not start off really high scaring people away.  

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is a ridiculous price for three nights on Navigator. If RCI thinks that I miss cruising so much that I will forego looking for good value for my money they are sadly mistaken.

It's like an inaugural cruise price wise.  

Are the subsequent cruises quite that high?