New Viking Ocean Cruiser - Advice?

MarkBearSF

10 minutes ago, mslaabs said:

I am also new to Viking. Something in my readings led me to believe the in cabin mini bar may be complimentary. Did I totally misunderstand that or is it really complimentary? (staying in a deluxe veranda if it matters)

Yes, it's complimentary and restocked daily.  DV cabins have soda, mixers, and some candy.  PV cabins have little alcohol bottles.

12 minutes ago, mslaabs said:

I am also new to Viking. Something in my readings led me to believe the in cabin mini bar may be complimentary. Did I totally misunderstand that or is it really complimentary? (staying in a deluxe veranda if it matters)

yes it matters. DV gets only free soda refilled every day. you need a PV (Penthouse Veranda) or higher for alcohol.

To clarify the previous replies, as it also depends on the cruise booked.

On Viking World Cruises even DV cabins had mini bottles of spirits, and beer & wine upon request. You can also request large bottles, as we requested a full bottle of Grand Marnier and Rum. Once empty they are refilled upon request.

I routinely had 1/2 dozen cans of IPA dropped off in the cabin mini-fridge.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

yes it matters. DV gets only free soda refilled every day. you need a PV (Penthouse Veranda) or higher for alcohol.

And to further clarify for those in the V cabins, your minibar is also free but it will not be restocked.  You may purchase refills for it (a form will be in your cabin) -- or you can get extra cans of soda at meal time and bring them back to the cabin.

3 hours ago, mslaabs said:

Others have answered your question, just want to add that if you’re in DV or above, the mini-bar attendant will happily change out the sodas/mixers to what you prefer. We usually leave a note in the fridge asking to have the sprite and coke replaced with Coke Zero and Tonic Water.  I had no luck getting them switched out when we were in a V. 

On 5/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, Peregrina651 said:

The only downside is that on the Welcome Back cruises we won't have a chance to go shopping to check out the local spirits.

For those on Iceland cruises, a big tip:  Don't buy any alcohol at liquor stores in town.

There is duty-free at KEF for both departing AND arriving flights.  All of the local spirits can be found in the DF stores, including Brennevin (the national drink) and Reyka vodka.  There are also a number of fruit liqueurs sold in DF.  So, you can buy some to try on the cruise and then later get full bottles to take home on your flight back.  Brennevin is a caraway flavored spirit, similar to Aquavit but with a very distinctive caraway flavor and aroma.  Reminds me of rye bread.  Also, Reyka is now widely available in the USA, so you may want to bring back the stuff you won't find in your local stores.

The price differential is between 50 and 100% -- you can tell by the number of flight crew that head to duty-free before taking the FlyBus into Reykjavik.  It's almost like a magnet that draws them in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

For those on Iceland cruises, a big tip:  Don't buy any alcohol at liquor stores in town.

There is duty-free at KEF for both departing AND arriving flights.  All of the local spirits can be found in the DF stores, including Brennevin (the national drink) and Reyka vodka.  There are also a number of fruit liqueurs sold in DF.  So, you can buy some to try on the cruise and then later get full bottles to take home on your flight back.  Brennevin is a caraway flavored spirit, similar to Aquavit but with a very distinctive caraway flavor and aroma.  Reminds me of rye bread.  Also, Reyka is now widely available in the USA, so you may want to bring back the stuff you won't find in your local stores.

The price differential is between 50 and 100% -- you can tell by the number of flight crew that head to duty-free before taking the FlyBus into Reykjavik.  It's almost like a magnet that draws them in.

Thanks for this information!  I was wondering if we would be offered duty free leaving Boston...wonder which is the better deal?  

47 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks for this information!  I was wondering if we would be offered duty free leaving Boston...wonder which is the better deal?  

Yes, there is duty free in Terminal E. I think you can each carry on two bottles. They will deliver it to your gate.

16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, there is duty free in Terminal E. I think you can each carry on two bottles. They will deliver it to your gate.

So now the question is, which is cheaper? Duty free at BOS or KEF😂

13 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Didn’t have any luck finding pricing for the dutyfree in BOS but here is a link to the one at KEF.  Have a number of interesting products-rhubarb gin anyone? 🍸

https://www.dutyfree.is/en/category/liquor/spirits

26 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Didn’t have any luck finding pricing for the dutyfree in BOS but here is a link to the one at KEF.  Have a number of interesting products-rhubarb gin anyone? 🍸

https://www.dutyfree.is/en/category/liquor/spirits

I’m pretty sure when we were in Iceland on the TA in Sept. 2019 that Viking offered up a cocktail in the MDR with the Icelandic rhubarb liqueur. Someone posted a link either in this thread or on one of the Iceland roll calls on what to buy at KEF duty free and there it was—along with Amarula from So. Africa.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You just have to figure out how to get prices at KEF. Maybe someone who is planning on shopping there can do a little price shopping for you.

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You just have to figure out how to get prices at KEF. Maybe someone who is planning on shopping there can do a little price shopping for you.

They are on the website I linked

There are limits to what you can legally bring into Iceland (which are posted in the DF store).  IMO, the attraction of being able to buy unique products on arrival would trump any potential cost savings on more widely sold items.  LOTS of Icelandic spirits that you won't find elsewhere vs saving a few bucks on a bottle you can buy everywhere.

Personally, I always use DF as an opportunity to buy spirits that I can't find at home.  And as a sidebar, a number of distillers used DF as a way to introduce and test market new brand variations -- the Explorer series from Johnnie Walker, the various Macallan variations, and others were first made as "travel retail exclusives".  And for those transiting LHR, the Whiskey Shop in the terminals is a great place to find limited edition Scotch.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, mauimacho said:

Just booked Viking for the first time for Aug 2022. Our final payment is next month. Is this normal? Over a year before the cruise?

Glad I found this board and I see that you had the same question that I had.  I was surprised when I made my booking last week for Aug 2022 and that my payment is due next month.  Glad to see that Squakman helped answer that question!

What are people's experience using the Viking Air add-on?  This is our first Viking cruise and the first time using air travel arrangements through the cruise line in many years.  Usually drive to take the train to the port.  Will be flying from MSP to Vancouver, BC.

20 minutes ago, Cruising, cruising! said:

What are people's experience using the Viking Air add-on?  This is our first Viking cruise and the first time using air travel arrangements through the cruise line in many years.  Usually drive to take the train to the port.  Will be flying from MSP to Vancouver, BC.

We have used Air + a couple of times and received the exact flights requested. Excellent service.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:24 PM, JeriGail said:

Several other cruise lines are doing this with buffets.  Passengers will go to the buffet (which is behind plexiglass) and tell the staff which items they wish to have.  Dining staff will place the desired items on a plate and give it to the passenger.

We experienced this on HAL cruises we took 4 and 5 years ago.  The buffet was not self serve.  They did this to lower the risk of Noro virus.

2 hours ago, bobchico said:

We experienced this on HAL cruises we took 4 and 5 years ago.  The buffet was not self serve.  They did this to lower the risk of Noro virus.

Affirmative, this is a standard operating practice and is included in their Fleet Regs. The ship calculates the number of Noro incidents as a percentage of pax & crew. Can't remember the actual numbers, but they have a sliding scale of responses.

Generally the first thing pax notice is the public washroom doors are continuously propped open and hand washing is monitored around the ship. When it hits red status, in addition to crew service in the buffet, in the MDR's the salt & pepper disappear and the baskets of bread were removed.

Although not visible to pax, the Bridge Team went into lock-down, having to avoid pax areas and all crew areas were off-limits.

On 5/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, mslaabs said:

All cabins get a little minibar; the contents thereof depend on the class. DV gets "Mini-bar with soft drinks, water & snacks (replenished once daily); ". 

• 4 weeks later...

Due to medications he is taking my dad must avoid caffeine.  Even though we are American we are tea drinkers rather than coffee.  Does anyone know if they have decaf Earl Grey or English Breakfast tea bags on board or should we bring our own?