Norwegian Fjords

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

We are disappointed that it is not sailing to Geiranger as we really want to see that little place.  I think we will rent a car and hope we make it back to the ship in time!

You should be able to do Geiranger from Ålesund - either by rental car or by boat. Several options.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hallasm said:

You should be able to do Geiranger from Ålesund - either by rental car or by boat. Several options.

I hadn't thought of that, good idea perhaps!  I do remember being driven past Geiranger and then down into Ålesund, but it was literally decades ago.  

I think it takes about 2 hours to get to Geiranger, so that would be 4 hours travel plus the time to pick up the rental car and then take it back.  Then we would want time to drive up  to the famous viewpoint on Mt Dalsnibba as well.  We only have a 9 hour stop in Alesund, so we don't have buckets of time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:19 PM, TeaBag said:

I think it takes about 2 hours to get to Geiranger, so that would be 4 hours travel plus the time to pick up the rental car and then take it back.  Then we would want time to drive up  to the famous viewpoint on Mt Dalsnibba as well.  We only have a 9 hour stop in Alesund, so we don't have buckets of time.

this is a three hour tour using the panorama bus, so it’s feasible if it takes 2 hours to get to geiranger (I can’t confirm the travel time because we docked in geiranger).   https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panorama-exclusive-bus

Edited by kitkat343

2 hours ago, Rode Warrior said:

What are the seas like on a Norwegian fjords cruise? One of the things I really liked about the Alaska inside passage is smooth sailing.

Sailing the fjords are very smooth - but where does the cruise start.

The answer very much depends on from which port your cruise is starting - Also time of the year.
North Sea can be quite rough even during summer but in general not very different from an Alaska cruise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, hallasm said:

Sailing the fjords are very smooth - but where does the cruise start.

The answer very much depends on from which port your cruise is starting - Also time of the year.
North Sea can be quite rough even during summer but in general not very different from an Alaska cruise.

Considering the 14-day Amazara cruise, July 25 out of Dublin, ending in Amsterdam, discussed above...what would seas be like before and after Norway...haven't sailed on this small of ship before.

22 minutes ago, bonvoyaged said:

what would seas be like before and after Norway..

It is difficult to predict - I have sailed several times across the North Sea between England and Denmark / Norway and the waters off the West coast of Norway - it can be very calm or rather rough  - however mostly calm in July.
Many cruises along Norway's west coast / Norwegian fjords start in Southampton, Harwich or Dover - clearly the possibility of more rough waters when crossing the North Sea than along the coast towards Amsterdam.
I have crossed the Atlantic and the North Sea several times and have no problems with rough seas - do not think the size of the ship makes much difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 1:48 PM, Rode Warrior said:

What are the seas like on a Norwegian fjords cruise? One of the things I really liked about the Alaska inside passage is smooth sailing.

Alaska is not always smooth sailing on the inside passage.

• 3 weeks later...

We're booked on a Princess cruise next summer (starts in FLL).  Itinerary is below.  Any  comments or suggestions on excursions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

6/5/2022 Reykjavik Iceland 8:00 AM 8:00 PM
6/6/2022 Isafjordur Iceland 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
6/7/2022 Akureyri Iceland 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/8/2022 At Sea    
6/9/2022 Shetland Islands (Lerwick) Scotland 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/10/2022 At Sea    
6/11/2022 Cork Ireland (Cobh - For Blarney Castle) 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
6/12/2022 Cornwall (Falmouth) England 7:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/13/2022 London (Southampton) England 6:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/14/2022 At Sea    
6/15/2022 Haugesund Norway 9:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/16/2022 Olden Norway 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
6/17/2022 At Sea    
6/18/2022 Tromso Norway 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
6/19/2022 Honningsvag (For North Cape) Norway 8:00 AM 9:00 PM
6/20/2022 At Sea    
6/21/2022 Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen) Norway 7:00 AM 6:00 PM
6/22/2022 At Sea    
6/23/2022 At Sea    
6/24/2022 Trondheim Norway 7:00 AM 7:00 PM
6/25/2022 Andalsnes Norway 7:00 AM 4:00 PM
6/26/2022 Skjolden/Sognefjord Norway 12:00 PM 8:00 PM

• Like 1

Interesting itinerary - but much more than 'Norwegian Fjords. I'll suggest that you create a separate topic for your cruise - then you'll get more inputs in particular for Iceland, and for UK/Ireland create topic in the forum 'British Isles/Western Europe'

The following two ports will have scenic fjord cruising (Norway):

- Olden / Invikkfjorden   - excursions: Loen Skylift view point and/or Briksdal Glaicer

- Skjolden/Sognefjord Norway - make sure to be at upper deck from sunrise a 4 am to view the fjord sailing

From June 17 to June 23 You'll have midnight sun - inside Artic Circle

Honningsvåg - vistit to North Cape is a must.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

Book an independent excursion in Longyearbyen if there isn’t anything offered by the cruiseline. It is a tiny town and you can’t legally leave the town limits due to the polar bear threat. Often cruiselines don’t offer excursions (because outfitters are small and limited), so look at private options on VisitSvalbard.com There are hikes, kayaking, small boat trips for birdwatching, etc. The museum in town is interesting but doesn’t take more than an hour or so, and it is typically mobbed in the morning by cruise visitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just recently confirmed our Northern Lights cruise on Island Princess Oct 2022.

In super panic mode now as we have no clue what to expect except the Northern Lights part and it will be deep freezer cold (we're from always warm tropics).

Keen to find out what tours can we join at the stops. We do have an overnight in Alta (11am to 11pm next day). 

Any suggestions are utmost welcomed. Thank you

Norweign F.PNG

Norwegian Fjords (7-24 Oct 2022).png

As mentioned in other your other post - Gravdal is misplaced at the map - assuming Gravdal at Lofoten Islands.

The main focus of this cruise is Northern Light which is the reason for the overnight stay in Alta - you’ll be able to see Northern Lights from the ship from Day 5 to day 10 - make sure to install a ‘Aurora app’ providing aurora forecasts.

It will be cold - primarily watching the norther lights from the deck of a moving ship.

This is my recommendation for ‘dress for cold’ - layers and water proof and insulated boots.  However October might not be that cold.

For excursions look at ship offerings. In Alta there will likely be a ‘ Northern Lights Tour’. Might be to early for dog sledding.

I do not believe local tours will be available at this time of the year.
Just for information- the cruise will not go into the deep Norwegian Fjords.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, hallasm said:

This is my recommendation for ‘dress for cold’ - layers and water proof and insulated boots.  However October might not be that cold.

I haven't done this, but being from Canada, I agree with these recommendations.  Scarves, mits, warm hats are a must as well.  And I suspect that coming from Singapore, where I know the climate, you will consider October to be, in fact, very cold.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, hallasm said:

I do not believe local tours will be available at this time of the year.

We sailed in in mid-May, leaving Southampton on 5/18.  Some of the local tours weren't available then either since it was a bit before the start of the season.  We contacted the local tour companies and they were able to make arrangements so we could still do the excursions.  It took them longer to arrange than usual (in some cases a couple of weeks), but they stayed in contact with us and were completely transparent throughout the process, so I was quite  confident in the companies and  it would be worth contacting them and seeing if anything might be possible to be arranged.  October is obviously harder than early May, but still worth an email to check.

Edited by kitkat343

Following this thread with great anticipation.  We are on MSC 12th May, 2022,  our cruise goes to :

Bergen

overnight Honningsvad

Tromso

Trondheim 

Nordfjordeid

Round trip from Kiel

any recommendations for our ports?   Honestly booked more for scenic cruising & to try out yacht club.   We enjoy hiking, walking, running & more hiking lol 😉 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Honestly booked more for scenic cruising

An interesting but not the most scenic itinerary as it does not include some of the deep Norwegian fjords - Nordfjordeid is the only stop in a fjord - however not very deep.
Honningsvåg is located by the North Cape - from May 12 there is Midnight sun - the reason for overnight stays.
Bergen is a beautiful and interesting city - the biggest sights are ‘Bryggen’ and ‘Fløybanen’ to the view point
 In Tromsø you can take the ‘Fjellheisen’ to a view point with possible hiking.
 It's early in the season.  Still a lot of snow in the mountains. It can be rather cold - in the order of 35 to 40F in Honningsvåg and Tromsø.

• Like 1

Great opportunities for hiking and other activities in Nordfjordeid. 

Check out www.fjordex.no and www.portofnordfjordeid for latest information. 

Nordfjordeid are around 50km from the coastline, easy accesible for cruise-ships. Not the deepest fjord but a great scenery sailing in/out. You dock right in the city centre, and if you are planning some excursions the base are right at the port. 

If would recommend this hike: https://www.fjordex.no/hike-naustdalskamben 

also suitable if you have children along.

also check out: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 1:50 AM, JimChar said:

Just recently confirmed our Northern Lights cruise on Island Princess Oct 2022.

In super panic mode now as we have no clue what to expect except the Northern Lights part and it will be deep freezer cold (we're from always warm tropics).

Keen to find out what tours can we join at the stops. We do have an overnight in Alta (11am to 11pm next day). 

Any suggestions are utmost welcomed. Thank you

Norweign F.PNG

Norwegian Fjords (7-24 Oct 2022).png

We will be on this cruise with you. I've started my research for the port calls. So far I booked a fjord cruise from Stavanger thru Rodne Fjord Cruise. It looks like a yacht type boat and it takes the Viator and ship's tour people. By booking directly it was half the price of Viator's. Here's the link https://rodne.no/en/booking/?r=Stavanger&t=2282&d=2022-10-09 For Tromso it lools likely we will do a ship's cruise Artic Ctr, Museum & Cathedral. In case you need the link for the Roll Call https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2773684-oct-07-2022-search-for-northern-lights-island-princess/ 

• Like 1

Would like any thoughts on the following itinerary for 2023 booking. TIA. 

Day 1: London (Dover) depart 5:00 PM
Day 2: At Sea
Day 3: Bergen arrive 9:00 AM - depart 7:00 PM
Day 4: Alesund arrive 9:00 AM - depart 6:00 PM
Day 5: Molde arrive 7:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM
Day 6: Olden arrive 7:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM
Day 6: Cruise Nordfjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM
Day 7: Skjolden arrive 7:00 AM - depart 4:00 PM
Day 7: Cruise Sognefjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 4:00 PM
Day 8: Haugesund arrive 8:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM
Day 9: At Sea
Day 10: London (Dover) arrive 5:00 AM

3 hours ago, cruisinlawn said:

Would like any thoughts on the following itinerary for 2023 booking.

Probably not the ‘most existing’ itinerary, however Day 3: Bergen and Day 4: Ålesund are two very nice DYI cities with good sightseeing opportunities - Day 6: Olden has a nice view point - Loen Skylift as well as Briksdal glacier.

Two scenic deep fjord cruising - do not understand the arrival/departure time for the fjord cruise:

Day 6: Cruise Nordfjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 5:00 PM

Day 7: Cruise Sognefjord arrive 7:00 AM - depart 4:00 PM

The arrival/departure time are for the ports at the end of the fjords - the cruising is before and after the port visit - already starting 4am - be at upper deck for the two scenic cruising at sunrise (4 to 4:30 am) - also possible evening but might conflict with dinner and shows.