Stuck Onboard During Cruise???

We won't be going too if it is still ship organised excursions only. They are far too expensive, just one example was last time we went to Santorini we got the local bus from Fira to Oia and it cost us €1.60 each way per person where as the day trip to Oia with NCL cost at least $50 per person, it may have been even more, I just remember I saw the price and laughed!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hamrag said:

Possibly would not be denied going ashore, if insistent.....denied reboarding would be the issue, and doesn't feel odd in the slightest for the foreseeable given the pandemic!

Being "insistent" may land you in the brig. 😉  But seriously, the lines set their rules and regulations and folks agree to them when booking a cruise.  If cruisers read the rules and regs they will see that you must comply or be subject to refusal to re-board and/or disembarking at the next port with no refund or further liability of the cruise lines.  This has already been proven to be the case on restarted cruises in Europe.  Security could certainly restrict anyone's ability to walk off the ship independently and, depending upon the level of resistance, detain them in their cabin or the brig.  And would that really be worth it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Has nothing to do with US citizens going ashore. It has to do with keeping you in a controlled environment so you don’t bring anything back onboard with you. 

Pure Bull.  What about the 200 persons in close quarter, enclosed tube, flying though the air at 550mph delivering passengers to the port, not to mention flying into nations with far less immunity than the USA.   What about the close quarter cab, uber, van or bus with unknown driver and co passengers arriving at the port.  Pure optics, and the cruise line has no control of any of it, but magically excursions are "for your comfort and protection" and everyone will be SAFE!  Drink that koolade!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Security could certainly restrict anyone's ability to walk off the ship independently and, depending upon the level of resistance, detain them in their cabin or the brig.  

I doubt that they can stop anyone from leaving the ship but they can defenitely stop people from boarding again.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I doubt that they can stop anyone from leaving the ship but they can defenitely stop people from boarding again.

I disagree.  The terms and conditions for sailing make that quite clear.  And, they certainly will in order to prevent problems such as the one you point out.

3 hours ago, jingle5616 said:

Pure Bull.  What about the 200 persons in close quarter, enclosed tube, flying though the air at 550mph delivering passengers to the port, not to mention flying into nations with far less immunity than the USA.   What about the close quarter cab, uber, van or bus with unknown driver and co passengers arriving at the port.  Pure optics, and the cruise line has no control of any of it, but magically excursions are "for your comfort and protection" and everyone will be SAFE!  Drink that koolade!

True! I always use Lyft/Uber to and from the airport. The trip is at least 35 mins each way. Windows are normally closed with AC/heat depending on conditions. So is CDC saying that the car cabin filter is good enough with a total stranger? Most likely taxis are an essential mode of transportation, I guess.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

I disagree.  The terms and conditions for sailing make that quite clear.  And, they certainly will in order to prevent problems such as the one you point out.

Amazing that they are allowed to force people to stay on the ship! Do you know how that is said in the terms and conditions? 

5 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Amazing that they are allowed to force people to stay on the ship! Do you know how that is said in the terms and conditions? 

The captain of the vessel is the law enforcer in all matters.  All enforcement of rules and regulations is driven by that.  

A GUEST’S ACTUAL OR THREATENED VIOLATION OF THIS POLICY, ANY OTHER OF OUR POLICIES, OR ANY INSTRUCTION COMMUNICATED BY US (INCLUDING OUR CREW) AT ANY TIME IN ANY FORM, WRITTEN OR ORAL, OR OUR ASSESSMENT – IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION - THAT A GUEST’S PRESENCE ONBOARD OR IN OUR PRIVATE DESTINATION(S) CREATES A CONCERN OR RISK FOR THE HEALTH, SAFETY, OR SECURITY OF OUR VESSEL, OTHER GUESTS, OR OUR CREW MAY RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement;

• Reporting to the competent government and law enforcement authorities;

• Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confined in a stateroom or holding cell;

• Confiscation of illegal, contraband or prohibited items, which may, at our discretion, be turned over to law enforcement authorities;

• Denial of boarding or removal from the vessel; and/or

• Denial of boarding on any future Royal Caribbean Group cruise vacation.

THIS POLICY IS SUBJECT TO THE CAPTAIN’S OVERRIDING AUTHORITY UNDER NATIONAL OR INTERNATIONAL LAW TO MAKE AND EXECUTE DECISIONS WHICH, IN THE CAPTAIN’S SOLE PROFESSIONAL JUDGEMENT, ARE NECESSARY TO MAINTAIN THE HEALTH, SAFETY AND SECURITY OF THE SHIP.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/guest-conduct-policy.pdf

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The captain of the vessel is the law enforcer in all matters.  All enforcement of rules and regulations is driven by that.  

A GUEST’S ACTUAL OR THREATENED VIOLATION OF THIS POLICY, ANY OTHER OF OUR POLICIES, OR ANY INSTRUCTION COMMUNICATED BY US (INCLUDING OUR CREW) AT ANY TIME IN ANY FORM, WRITTEN OR ORAL, OR OUR ASSESSMENT – IN OUR SOLE DISCRETION - THAT A GUEST’S PRESENCE ONBOARD OR IN OUR PRIVATE DESTINATION(S) CREATES A CONCERN OR RISK FOR THE HEALTH, SAFETY, OR SECURITY OF OUR VESSEL, OTHER GUESTS, OR OUR CREW MAY RESULT IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement;

• Reporting to the competent government and law enforcement authorities;

• Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confined in a stateroom or holding cell;

• Confiscation of illegal, contraband or prohibited items, which may, at our discretion, be turned over to law enforcement authorities;

• Denial of boarding or removal from the vessel; and/or

• Denial of boarding on any future Royal Caribbean Group cruise vacation.

THIS POLICY IS SUBJECT TO THE CAPTAIN’S OVERRIDING AUTHORITY UNDER NATIONAL OR INTERNATIONAL LAW TO MAKE AND EXECUTE DECISIONS WHICH, IN THE CAPTAIN’S SOLE PROFESSIONAL JUDGEMENT, ARE NECESSARY TO MAINTAIN THE HEALTH, SAFETY AND SECURITY OF THE SHIP.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/guest-conduct-policy.pdf

Thank you for showing me that but I can't see anywhere in that text that they are allowed to force anyone to stay on the ship.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Thank you for showing me that but I can't see anywhere in that text that they are allowed to force anyone to stay on the ship.

I don't know what else to tell you.  If the rule is no one goes ashore unless on a cruise sponsored and controlled excursion, then you're not going to be allowed to disembark.  People can be restrained by security if necessary.  It's pretty clear.  Why would anyone want to prompt such a response, never mind run down the gangplank and risk not being allowed back on board.  I'm puzzled.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I don't know what else to tell you.  If the rule is no one goes ashore unless on a cruise sponsored and controlled excursion, then you're not going to be allowed to disembark.  People can be restrained by security if necessary.  It's pretty clear.  Why would anyone want to prompt such a response, never mind run down the gangplank and risk not being allowed back on board.  I'm puzzled.

The rule is that noone goes ashore unless on a cruise sponsored and controlled excursion but I think that what they mean is that if you do it you are not allowed to board again and who wants that?

The cruiseline has every right to make the rules onboard and you have to follow them but if you don't they can force you to leave but that doesn't necessary mean that they are allowed to force you to stay on the ship if you wants to leave. People can be restrained by security but can they really do that when docked? Are you sure that isn't only when at sea? If you don't follow the rules when docked why should they restrain you, isn't it much better for the cruiseline to force you to leave?

I don't say that you are wrong, only that I doubt that they are allowed to force anyone to stay on the ship. Of course I can be wrong.  

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

The rule is that noone goes ashore unless on a cruise sponsored and controlled excursion but I think that what they mean is that if you do it you are not allowed to board again and who wants that?

The cruiseline has every right to make the rules onboard and you have to follow them but if you don't they can force you to leave but that doesn't necessary mean that they are allowed to force you to stay on the ship if you wants to leave. People can be restrained by security but can they really do that when docked? Are you sure that isn't only when at sea? If you don't follow the rules when docked why should they restrain you, isn't it much better for the cruiseline to force you to leave?

I don't say that you are wrong, only that I doubt that they are allowed to force anyone to stay on the ship. Of course I can be wrong.  

You are disregarding and violating the rules by attempting to leave the ship.  The captain can stop you.  Just as the captain can restrain anyone violating any of the rules on board and have them confined to their cabin or thrown in the ship's brig.  Yes, they can do that while docked.  You are still on the ship, not ashore.  There are no constitutionally protected rights on a cruise ship.  It's the captain's law.  Now, that being said, anyone that wants to violate the rule and test the system, by all means try it.  But be sure to have your luggage, your passport and your credit card with you when you attempt your escape. 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

You are disregarding and violating the rules by attempting to leave the ship.  The captain can stop you.  Just as the captain can restrain anyone violating any of the rules on board and have them confined to their cabin or thrown in the ship's brig.  Yes, they can do that while docked.  You are still on the ship, not ashore.  There are no constitutionally protected rights on a cruise ship.  It's the captain's law.  Now, that being said, anyone that wants to violate the rule and test the system, by all means try it.  But be sure to have your luggage, your passport and your credit card with you when you attempt your escape. 😉

If you're in Port, the laws of the country you're docked at will apply.  The Captain has sole authority in international water but not when in a country. 

I think the reality is you'll be detained at the exit and law enforcement of the local port will be called and take you in custody. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

If you're in Port, the laws of the country you're docked at will apply.  The Captain has sole authority in international water but not when in a country. 

I think the reality is you'll be detained at the exit and law enforcement of the local port will be called and take you in custody. 

And won't that be fun!  So you get kicked off the ship and end up in a foreign jail.  That is so worth deciding not to comply and insisting on exploring on your own.  Yep.  You'll be exploring...the inside of a jail cell.  LOL.  I'm so glad I decided to postpone my cruising into Spring of 2022.  Don't want to be any part of having to deal with this ridiculous pushback.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, harkinmr said:

And won't that be fun!  So you get kicked off the ship and end up in a foreign jail.  That is so worth deciding not to comply and insisting on exploring on your own.  Yep.  You'll be exploring...the inside of a jail cell.  LOL.  I'm so glad I decided to postpone my cruising into Spring of 2022.  Don't want to be any part of having to deal with this ridiculous pushback.  

But you can then leave the ship, as I said.

9 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

But you can then leave the ship, as I said.

Oh good grief!  No. You can’t just leave the ship. The rules state that you can’t. What don’t you get? 

I know. Go on one of the restart cruises and try. Than come back and let me know how it comes out. Have fun in the brig. 🙄

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Oh good grief!  No. You can’t just leave the ship. The rules state that you can’t. What don’t you get? 

Which rule is that? Local authorities decide, not the cruiseline.

The cruiseship is not a prison. You are allowed to leave the ship but they may not let you back on.

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Which rule is that? Local authorities decide, not the cruiseline.

The cruiseship is not a prison. You are allowed to leave the ship but they may not let you back on.

Ship’s rule.  If the rule is that you CANNOT go ashore UNLESS on a cruise line shore excursion it means you CANNOT leave the ship.  They CAN prevent you from going ashore. Do you really believe that if there are 1500 passengers on a ship and 500 of those passengers refuse to abide by the rule they’re just going to let those 500 passengers off the ship anyway and be left with the chaos of refusing them reboarding?  You can bet at that point it would become a prison and the cruise line would head right back to it’s port of origination.  Ruining everyone else’s cruise. Absolutely ridiculous!  I’m done with this conversation. 

4 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Ship’s rule.  If the rule is that you CANNOT go ashore UNLESS on a cruise line shore excursion it means you CANNOT leave the ship.  They CAN prevent you from going ashore. Do you really believe that if there are 1500 passengers on a ship and 500 of those passengers refuse to abide by the rule they’re just going to let those 500 passengers off the ship anyway and be left with the chaos of refusing them reboarding?  You can bet at that point it would become a prison and the cruise line would head right back to it’s port of origination.  Ruining everyone else’s cruise. Absolutely ridiculous!  I’m done with this conversation. 

I think that it's ridiculous to believe that 500 passegers are willing to leave the ship if they aren't allowed to board again.

Ship's rule does not mean that they can force anyone to stay on the ship.