Now that the cruise pause is still pausing, what are your alternate vacation plans?

Tippyton

DW and I are longing to relax on a big boat but it does not seem likely for a while.  We are planning a getaway to Gatlinburg TN, a part of the country we've never spent time in, and a week exploring Costa Rica, to see all of the natural wonders there - rain forests, birds, wildlife, volcanoes, etc..  How about you? (And why that spot?)

There is a gambling cruise out of Canaveral and river boats. The cdc only affects large ships, not smaller ones.

Still might go to florida, still have my hotel in Galveston that is nonrefundable. Took a chance and lost that my cruise in sept will go. Worrying my cruise parking co in Galveston will go under, I've moved it 3 times now. Hope I can again. I have enough money tied up in cruises I'll not do much. 

Beach time for me, which isnt a bad thing. 

• Like 1

Tried to get my daughter to agree to a trip to Tetons and Yellowstone, no dice.  🤨

Waiting for Italy's early-May statement and hoping they will lift the "emergency-travel-only-from-USA" policy so we can cruise MSC out of Venice in early July.

Crossing my fingers for no more spikes/increase in vaccinations and the CDC allowing cruising in August or September from Baltimore and Miami.  Baltimore cruise port is only 35 miles away and we enjoy cruising out of the Chesapeake Bay third after sailing from Manhattan and New Orleans for the views, and we have a free balcony offer from Carnival for September so it'll probably be our first cruise back on Carnival again.  Oh, to swim at Half Moon Cay...

• Like 3

Spending five nights in Key West. I live 5 miles from the Gulf. I will spend the summer on the beach and golf course. A cruise is a nice vacation, but not the only type of vacation. For those going to Gatlinburg, they have a really nice acguarium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tippyton said:

DW and I are longing to relax on a big boat but it does not seem likely for a while.  We are planning a getaway to Gatlinburg TN, a part of the country we've never spent time in, and a week exploring Costa Rica, to see all of the natural wonders there - rain forests, birds, wildlife, volcanoes, etc..  How about you? (And why that spot?)

We went to Gatlinburg for the first time last year when our summer cruise got canceled. Be sure to hike up Clingman's Dome - it's quite an uphill trek but the view is definitely worth it. Ripley's Aquarium is also really nice, I think comparable to the Florida Aquarium in Tampa.

We have a Thanksgiving cruise booked (which I'm about 20/80 on it actually sailing) and I'm getting cabin fever, so we have been looking for something to do this summer. Thinking about a trip down to Florida for some sand and sun, with maybe a few days at Disney.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, May1cruiser said:

Gatlinberg was amazing last October with fall leaves changing. Now off to Reno/Tahoe in May since we have already missed five cruises. And yes, flying on a plane....

Flying is no big deal.  Honestly the mask is not cumbersome as long as you're sitting still.   I fly almost weekly for business.

3 hours ago, neatokimmo said:

We took advantage of the four night, four days of 2 park tickets at universal for about a grand. We have a few beach and Orlando days before.

I loved universal when I went a couple of days. I love the rides. So fun. We did the inside stuff more for the ac to cool down. Late at night when most are gone we did the best ride over and over as fast as we could run back around to get in line until it closed. 

I'm not worried about flying.

20210408_181759865.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

We took last year's cruise money, this year's cruise money, added to it and put in a whole house generator.  We'll stay home and enjoy our pool this summer.  Talking about visiting our son in SC this October when he turns 40.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Flying is no big deal.  Honestly the mask is not cumbersome as long as you're sitting still.   I fly almost weekly for business.

Agree 100%. I have to wear a mask 12 hours a day for the last year, so a few hours on a plane is nothing. Still baffled about cruising being the last mode of travel/vacation to open......

• Like 1

Heading to DisneyWorld on 5/1 after 4 cancellations!  Going to feel weird going from staying away from people to thousands of people near us.  Fully vaccinated, and packing lots of masks and hand sanitizer!  Have eaten in a restaurant once since covid began (last week - Applebees) but will be attempting to find eating places in our comfort zone at Disney - or else we will be ordering a lot of food to go!

• Thanks 1

Was hoping to spend a week at remote fishing camp last summer or this year. Plan on hold until border is reopened. Silver lining from Covid 19, we haven't been able to travel as easy and safe as in the past so, we have made great progress paying off a heavy debt load. Feels great to finally see the light in the tunnel isn't a train barreling towards me and I'll actually be ready to retire in a few more years.

• Like 2

It looks like I'm an outlier here, but my current next vacation is... another cruise.  I'm one of those guinea pigs that will be sailing from the DR in September.  I'm expecting it to be a great time... unless we get rocked by a hurricane.

After that, I have a music-themed stay at a Cancun AI in October and a music-themed charter cruise in March.

I'm still considering other vacation options before September, but one thing I discovered when I spent too much time at home this past year plus is that I really like it here and it would take something special to uproot me.  Maybe I'll come up with something.

• Like 3