Would you go iv everyone is not vacinated?

Tennessee Titan

Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?  

419 members have voted

1. 1. Would you go on a cruise where everyone is NOT vaccinated?

• Yes
    • No

Thank you Kazu for a cogent response to this question. This is a serious illness and if we are not all vaccinated soon we leave ourselves open to mutations that could produce evil variants - not only in the US but in the places we may wish to travel. Travel will not really be safe for a long time. Look at the tragedy occurring in India right now. 

Folks have the right to refuse vaccination (even though I sincerely hope few people make that choice) but if unvaccinated folks are on board a ship with me and become ill it is I that might have to deal with consequences.  I do not wish to spend my vacation in cabin isolation, with cancelled ports,  and the possible inability of the ship to disembark passengers at the scheduled end of the cruise.  These folks would be spoilers for the rest of us. 

If a yellow fever vaccination is required to travel to Brazil and some other locations, why is it unreasonable to require vaccinations against a pandemic that has forced the world to its knees?

• Like 16

3 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Even vaccinated people can spread the virus.

Yes it is possible if they have been in contact with unvaccinated people who may be unsymptomatic.  But the odds are way better if all are vaccinated.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

For me to consider booking a cruise again, I have two requirements.  

100% of crew and guests must be fully vaccinated.

Wearing of masks is not required.  

This is total thread derailment, but I share rka's difficulty with masks.  Others here may, too.  I'm trying hard to work through it, just in case they are required for a cruise. (Don't flame!  I wear them when out.  I just stay home a lot. 😞)  

Anyhow, I wondered, rka, if you've tried ones from Old Navy?  I've had a lot of people tell me they are the easiest to breathe in,  and most comfortable to wear.  They have the adjustable ear straps.  I put an order in myself.  We shall see...

Also, because the masks make me break out really badly, I've been putting acne cream on first (the benzoyl peroxide type.)  That seems to be really helping.  I had been putting it on after removing the masks, but I'm finding it really helps to just defend my skin before I mask up.

My hope is that if masks are required on a cruise, that they are only required for certain activities -- like in the showroom or walking through public spaces.  Things I have some control over.  I hope.

Again, sorry for going off topic here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

This is total thread derailment, but I share rka's difficulty with masks.  Others here may, too.  I'm trying hard to work through it, just in case they are required for a cruise. (Don't flame!  I wear them when out.  I just stay home a lot. 😞)  

Anyhow, I wondered, rka, if you've tried ones from Old Navy?  I've had a lot of people tell me they are the easiest to breathe in,  and most comfortable to wear.  They have the adjustable ear straps.  I put an order in myself.  We shall see...

Also, because the masks make me break out really badly, I've been putting acne cream on first (the benzoyl peroxide type.)  That seems to be really helping.  I had been putting it on after removing the masks, but I'm finding it really helps to just defend my skin before I mask up.

My hope is that if masks are required on a cruise, that they are only required for certain activities -- like in the showroom or walking through public spaces.  Things I have some control over.  I hope.

Like vaccines not everyone can tolerate a mask for valid medical reasons. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, jimmy2x said:

My stance exactly. We are not going until Feb. 21 days on our 1st B to B ever. Will be my longest cruise since the Vietnam war. 🤣

Yeah, I sure miss those nine-month cruises!😝 Low-cost excursions to Olongapo and Thieves' Alley in Yokosuka, unlimited salt water showers... Good times.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Personally we have been self isolating for over a year, it was just yesterday I went inside a grocery store for the first time in 14 months I was the first customer of the day and was out in 10 minutes.. Both my husband and I are fully vaccinated but still are very cautious around others we do not know.

I said all this to say, the relief we got from knowing we were vaccinated went a long way to reduce the anxiety  covid brought on us, but we would like to see high percentages of people in our community vaccinated before we return to "normalcy"

To each their own, but I hope if I run into you on a cruise ship you have indeed been vaccinate to protect yourselves and me.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Like vaccines not everyone can tolerate a mask for valid medical reasons. 

I wear hearing aids, so not seeing people's mouths makes life more difficult. Not to mention the problem with the elastic straps on traditional masks which launch over-the-ear hearing aids into the middle of parking lots.

But more notably, I cannot converse for any extended time with a mask on.  I have chronic sinus issues and for some reason conversing with a mask on causes me to begin coughing.  However that is very effective in keeping people away from me!

• Like 4

"...if unvaccinated folks are on board a ship with me and become ill it is I that might have to deal with consequences.  I do not wish to spend my vacation in cabin isolation, with cancelled ports,  and the possible inability of the ship to disembark passengers at the scheduled end of the cruise.  These folks would be spoilers for the rest of us. "

+1

This is REALLY it, folks....

• Like 10

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

No flaming from me!  I understand completely!  I have to wear a Mask at work for 6 plus hours, 4 or 5 Nights a week.  It's not easy especially with Breathing Problems.  I have no idea how Health Care Workers do it!  God Bless them!

I'm more concerned about wearing one for long flights so will probably have to keep drinking Wine and eating the whole way!   😂  The reviews I read from MSC the Mask Wearing wasn't so bad.  Basically, it's worn indoor Public Spaces but once you are seated in the Lounges, Show Lounge, Dining Room, Lido, etc. you take it off because with 50% Capacity the Tables and Rows will be Socially Distanced.  Outdoors the same and will only be within 6 ft of others that they have to be worn. 

Dermatologist have seen rashes, infections, etc. from Face Masks especially from those who have to wear them for lengthy periods of time especially in warmer Climates.  This was all over our Local News last Summer.

I just received my Holland America Face Masks and really like them.  They have adjustable ear straps and are triple layer.  I like the way they cover the Nose and there seems to be breathing room in them.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

I'm more concerned about wearing one for long flights so will probably have to keep drinking Wine and eating the whole way!   😂 

Just be forewarned that the airlines have been cracking down hard on mask wearing over the past few months.  Masks must be on for the duration of the flight, except when eating and drinking for "brief" periods of time.  That change was instituted to stop people from dragging out their eating and drinking to avoid the mask.  Southwest actually now even mandates that masks be on in between sips of drink and bites of food.  

27 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Just be forewarned that the airlines have been cracking down hard on mask wearing over the past few months.  Masks must be on for the duration of the flight, except when eating and drinking for "brief" periods of time.  That change was instituted to stop people from dragging out their eating and drinking to avoid the mask.  Southwest actually now even mandates that masks be on in between sips of drink and bites of food.  

This, as much or more than vaccine issues, may prevent families with children from cruising. It's really hard to keep the little ones masked up.  

Trying times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

This, as much or more than vaccine issues, may prevent families with children from cruising. It's really hard to keep the little ones masked up.  

Trying times.

Sometimes.  But actually, I think kids are more mature and cooperative about mask wearing than adults these days. 😉

• Like 10

definitely would want crew and passengers vac.

Have some of those mask issues mentioned.

Another highjack--What do you think the first cruise after pandemic would be like, in terms of food, entertainment, overall service? Realize CDC would impact the experience. If satisfied with vac. requirements, would you book one of these? Thinking of some of those less than wonderful reviews after just a short drydock.  

So ... did anyone listen to the recent 2021 Global Science Summit ...

WTTC/Carnival Corporation 202l Global Science Summit On COVID-19 (covidsciencesummit.com)

Vaccination gives some freedom and a lower risk of severe infection ... but bottom line, for the foreseeable future we still need to mask up, keep a distance and practice good hygiene. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jhsocal said:

definitely would want crew and passengers vac.

Have some of those mask issues mentioned.

Another highjack--What do you think the first cruise after pandemic would be like, in terms of food, entertainment, overall service? Realize CDC would impact the experience. If satisfied with vac. requirements, would you book one of these? Thinking of some of those less than wonderful reviews after just a short drydock.  

Take a look at the MSC you tube on sailing.  there is a thread further down giving the link although I had seen it earlier.

I suspect masks will be required at the beginning, ships’ excursions only and no wandering in a port.  So you will be tied to the ship for the bulk of the time since most of HAL’s excursions are not very long.

entertainment is hard to figure out with the physical distancing.  Same thing with dinner and even the Lido.  Will people have to reserve for the Lido and entertainment?  Who knows?  

Speaking for myself, I’d like to see a few cruises go and get the reports before we get on a ship.  I certainly wouldn’t want to be on a first cruise after this long period of inactivity.  I imagine it will take time for the crew to get into sync and there may well be service issues and even confusion on the ‘rules’.  I could be wrong, of course.  I often am 😉 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Have you NO sense of humor!  Wow. 😢

• Like 1