Travel from Rome to civitavecchia and hotel

Was looking for the best ideas on transfer from Rome to citavecchia, taxi or or other ideas to get to the port.  We are going in a day before our cruise so looking for help.  Also would like ideas for hotel ideas as well.

I always used a company called  Rome in Limo. They have a Facebook page now called Sharing Tours in Italy. Last time I used them was 2018. They are reliable, reasonable & trustworthy. A group of 6 of us who met on roll call used them for all our excursions. It’s about 1.5-2hrs to port from Rome. 

EE70F4B4-6420-49A2-A0A6-C6277FF3994F.png

• Like 1

Day and nite in majestic Rome or scruffy little Civita.? Always consider the train, which won't be so bunched up with cruise passengers as in the other direction. Also don't robotically choose Rome central station for departure; from there I think it slowly orbits around southern Rome stops which make for intriguing alternate departure/visiting places and faster trip.

If you are allergic to Rome itself, maybe spend the day right near the airport and the magnificent archeo site of Ostia Antica which is like a peaceful version of Pompeii. Maybe hotel at adjacent (scruffy?) beach town Lido de Ostia.

Stefano’s Rome Cabs. I used them from the airport to our hotel in Rome, from our hot in Civitavecchia, and from Civitavecchia back to the airport at the end of the cruise. Professional, courteous, on time and very reliable. They made our transportation SUPER easy. You can also pre-pay on their website (including tips) in advance. Doesn’t get much easier than that. 

Yes, there are cheaper ways to get places in Rome, but this company is worth every penny spent. 

I purchased a package from Norwegian: (1) transfer from airport to hotel in Rome, (2) one night in partnership hotel in Rome, (3) transfer from hotel to the ship and (4) transfer from the ship to the airport in Rome.  Super simple and hopefully no headaches.

The train is good until you get to Civitavecchia itself, then you have to get a bus to the cruise shuttle stop and then the cruise shuttle to the ship, you are not allowed to walk onto the pier directly from the train station anymore.

Posted (edited)

We get the train too...it cost a fraction of the price and was very easy to walk along a large promenade with our roll along cases (took about 20 minutes so stroll) and then we got lost getting into the port!

Next time will be easier as we knew the route. Getting home though we did get a taxi as the exodus from the cruise ship would have been hard to navigate.

Edited by rachiem

Just a note about the train. Keep track of your belongings. I had my backpack stolen by a team of young thieves. One kid distracted me and the other grabbed my bag just as we were coming up to a train stop. They both hopped off the train and were gone before I even knew what happened. We were heading from Rome to Civitavecchia the morning of the cruise. In retrospect, we were pretty obviously tourists and an easy mark.

12 hours ago, dpepper64 said:

Was looking for the best ideas on transfer from Rome to citavecchia, taxi or or other ideas to get to the port.  We are going in a day before our cruise so looking for help.  Also would like ideas for hotel ideas as well.

Here is the link to the Italy Ports of Call forum.  Lots of good info for you to research on hotels, transportation and things to do:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

• Like 2

We used the train too, but our hotel was close to the termini station and so it was easy for us just to walk from and to the station in Rome.

As others have said, you have to get from the train station to the shuttle stop in Civitavecchia (there is a bus but we walked, as we knew the way), then the free shuttle from there to the ship.

The above may be too much hassle for you, but it is very cheap.

We stayed overnight in Rome.  The next morning we were picked up at our hotel by Rome Cabs and had a great day touring the countryside on the way to the ship.  We stopped to visit an archaeological site and had lunch in a very small, and beautiful, hilltop town.  Arrived at the ship 2 hours before departure and after the crowds.  It was a great and relaxing way to begin our cruise.  There were 6 of us who met on the roll call and planned it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Envelope21 said:

Just a note about the train. Keep track of your belongings. I had my backpack stolen by a team of young thieves. One kid distracted me and the other grabbed my bag just as we were coming up to a train stop. They both hopped off the train and were gone before I even knew what happened. We were heading from Rome to Civitavecchia the morning of the cruise. In retrospect, we were pretty obviously tourists and an easy mark.

A friend from US had travelled all over. He said to always be on the look out for thieves, especially in Italy and Spain.  One time on a bus although he had his hand on the two luggages all the time, but got distracted, turned around for a second, then turned around and one piece was taken off.  The guy ran, gave to another, to both take off. 

He says, when in public, always assume a team is ready to grab one of your luggages to run away.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tapi said:

Stefano’s Rome Cabs. I used them from the airport to our hotel in Rome, from our hot in Civitavecchia, and from Civitavecchia back to the airport at the end of the cruise. Professional, courteous, on time and very reliable. They made our transportation SUPER easy. You can also pre-pay on their website (including tips) in advance. Doesn’t get much easier than that. 

Yes, there are cheaper ways to get places in Rome, but this company is worth every penny spent. 

We had the pleasure of having Stefano himself as a day long guide around Rome.  He was delightful and even came back to our hotel to deliver the umbrella we had left in his car.  You might consider his services in Rome, even if you choose another way to get to the cruise port.

• Like 1

We used https://sharedshuttle.it/

We were originally quoted €65, but because another couple joined the reservation (through the roll call 🙂 ), it was €60 for the two of us. It was a shared van with pickup at the hotel. We chose the time, and they were there pretty much on time, and dropped us at the ship.

On 4/25/2021 at 6:19 AM, SpainAlien said:

The train is good until you get to Civitavecchia itself, then you have to get a bus to the cruise shuttle stop and then the cruise shuttle to the ship, you are not allowed to walk onto the pier directly from the train station anymore.

If arriving by train, the way to do it is get a taxi from the train station to the ship. Taxis are allowed to drive onto the pier area, and dispatch passengers at the ship. It might cost 30 euros these days, but worth it for the convenience IMHO.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2021 at 11:08 AM, hamrag said:

If arriving by train, the way to do it is get a taxi from the train station to the ship. Taxis are allowed to drive onto the pier area, and dispatch passengers at the ship. It might cost 30 euros these days, but worth it for the convenience IMHO.

You’ve still got to drag luggage (no assistance - no lifts) along the arrival platform,  down a long set of stairs, along the underpass, up another long set of stairs, along the platform, through the ticket office, then along the footpath to wait for a taxi.

Then at Rome Station, more dragging luggage across concourse, along platform, lift into train, then find a seat (if not booked in advance - if booked possible argue with an Italian squatter in Italian), having found a vacant seat, find a safe place to store luggage (more dragging) or lift to the limited high overhead storage.

In short, forget all the hassle of a train and take a private car.

Do the Math.

Cost of taxi from Airport to Station

Plus Train Tickets

Plus Taxi from Station to ship.

Against a private Taxi Rome to Ship.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Taxi
  • Like 1

Personal Opinion for a better idea

The hotels in Civitavecchia have gone downhill over the last five years.  
As you’re flying in after a marathon travel, there is no need for another 2 hour plus drive, plus baggage and immigration.  One would suggest it’s better to take a hotel near FCO, friends have used the Tiber.  Tiber is clean and reasonable with a reasonable airport/hotel shuttle.

You can unwind post flight, take dinner, breakfast then travel refreshed the following day direct to the ship.

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

You’ve still got to drag luggage (no assistance - no lifts) along the arrival platform,  down a long set of stairs, along the underpass, up another long set of stairs, along the platform, through the ticket office, then along the footpath to wait for a taxi.

Then at Rome Station, more dragging luggage across concourse, along platform, lift into train, then find a seat (if not booked in advance - if booked possible argue with an Italian squatter in Italian), having found a vacant seat, find a safe place to store luggage (more dragging) or lift to the limited high overhead storage.

In short, forget all the hassle of a train and take a private car.

Do the Math.

Cost of taxi from Airport to Station

Plus Train Tickets

Plus Taxi from Station to ship.

Against a private Taxi Rome to Ship.

I think you missed the opening 4 words of my post....If arriving by train....😉