Activities for grandkids on cruise.

bigo

Have cruised quite a bit on various cruise lines but never had to pay attention to kids.  Have booked Alaskan cruise on the Discovery in May 2022 and will include grandkids who will be 6 and 10.  Looking at the Princess website it looks like there should be activities to keep them entertained.  I would appreciate any feedback from those who have used them.  Also would like to know if you sign up for them before boarding or just show up.  Is there a kids only pool?  Thanks for your feedback. 

Be aware that Princess has separate areas and activities for kids based on their age. A 6 year old and a 10 year old won't be in the same grouping. Before you ask, the answer is "No, they won't make an exception so the kids can be together."

We have never cruised with kids but I'm sure you will get responses from a lot of folks with good information. It's very cool you can cruise with your grandkids.

Here is some information about the Princess youth programs

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Youth_Guidelines_Registration.pdf

There will no kids pool on the Discovery Princess. Youth can use the main Lido deck pools mid ship as long as they are toilet trained, which I guess the 6 & 10 year old are. The Retreat pool will be adults only. Not sure about the small Terrace pool.  May can be kind of cold in Alaska. 

My son is older now, but Princess had some great activities for kids.  I imagine it is still true.  Although the pandemic may cause some changes in this service area whenever cruising resumes.

My boys have cruised many times with us and have alway found so much to keep entertained- and never even gone to a kids club! We played at the pool, ping pong, mini golf, bingo, comedy clubs are their fave, as well as the amazing scenery and ports of Alaska.  The freedom of being able to get ice cream whenever they want or pizza or anything is just what they love to do.  

My kids always enjoyed Princess' kids camps when they were younger. In Alaska many of the activities were geared toward Alaska and when we did our scenic cruising in Glacier Bay one of the rangers that boarded the ship did a Jr. Ranger Program in the kids camp. Granted, my kids are now 22 and 21, so this is a few years ago, but I can't see it having changed that much.

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

Definitely, Alaska in May is one cruise where only indoor pools will be utilized. More common would be the hot tub.

For OP's information the Discovery Princess does not have an indoor pool. Only outdoor.

We have taken 3 ten year old grandkids to AK on Princess.  They checked out the kids clubs when the came on board.  On their own and w/o prompting from us, all 3 of them on each trip told us that AK was going to be a really neat place to see and that was why they came so why should they waste their time in the kids club.  Really smart kids. 

I have never taken a 6 year old kid to AK so maybe a younger kid might feel differently.  Don't push them to go to the kids club but I am sure that there will be lots of stuff there to do if they decide to go there.  

DON

3 hours ago, katisdale said:

They loved meeting Libby Riddles, the Iditarod winner and the excursions, especially whale and bear watching.

OP - If your grandkids like dogs don't miss Libby's presentation - she brings one of her dogs that you can pet before it - and Puppies in the Piazza during the stop in Juneau where sled dog puppies are brought on board.  You didn't ask about excursions, but I have a recommendation that may seem campy:  the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan.  Everyone in our family (ages 3 1/2 to 68) thought it was a hoot.

Edited by capriccio

10 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

My boys have cruised many times with us and have alway found so much to keep entertained- and never even gone to a kids club! We played at the pool, ping pong, mini golf, bingo, comedy clubs are their fave, as well as the amazing scenery and ports of Alaska.  The freedom of being able to get ice cream whenever they want or pizza or anything is just what they love to do.  

Not a Princess feature.

my kids were reluctant at the beginning to going to the kids club. I helps that there are two grandchildren, they will have an instant bond and they will quickly make friends. ( kind of like the first day of school)   leave them in the morning and then come back in the afternoon and they may tell you to come back later.  My kids did crafts , they came back to the cabin with water bottles from some events, made tie die t shirts. came back with face painting, came to the cabin with cards they made and I think a painting ( watercolor ) . the painting was with mom and dad. Early in the cruise my kids were making plans with other kids in the kids club.  My wife and I  Occationally being left to have dessert alone,  because the kids club had some evening event . Also, it was kind of fun to be on excursion or in town and have the kids waving and calling to one another as they saw each other on the street. ( "who's that" --- "MY friend") .  your grandkid will find a lot to do. You can sign them up in the personalizer and they will be good to go. or sign them up on board . I would recommend the personalizer. 

• Like 2

My kids would go to the teens club and I would never see them again. They loved it so much, that the first thing we had to do every cruise was go there to sign them in. They cared more about that then all the destinations we took them to. Sometimes I would see them coming to the restaurant with their friends and have dinner. They loved meeting people from around the world. I also see the younger kids with their own activities and they look like they are having tons of fun. Wish I could of done that when I was young!!!

My kid was 5 when she sailed on princess last time. They have something like summer camp and have morning, afternoon and evening sessions. She enjoyed it. They usually have crafts, games and some other group activities.

• Like 1

My boys are 13 and 14.  We went to Alaska 2 years ago.  I asked my youngest what advice he would give to a 10 year old.  He said it's extremely important to go to the first day of kids club.    He says that's when everyone buddies up and you meet the friends you're going to hang with for the rest of the cruise.  He said kids club was amazing but that it only goes for a few hours before and after lunch so there is a lot of time when you get to meet your friends for ice cream or go to the pool.  He also said he would recommend the nature talks, the comedy shows, and the international cafe.  He's a very independent kid so he tends to do his own thing all the time and we only see him at meal times and before bed.  My older son isn't a fan of kids club.  He likes the crafts, the game shows, the comedy shows, and the movies under the stars.  

As a parent, I think it depends on the kid.  My older son would say there isn't a lot to do and it gets boring.  That's because he doesn't make friends outside of his brother and parents.  My younger son is always running from one activity to another and making plans with his friends.  He would say there is a lot going on and it's tons of fun.

• Like 3

Princess has great kids clubs. I second what atobols said about going the first day, as my kids have said the same thing to me. 

May will have less kids than June/July but I suspect there will be some kids on your cruise.

Given their ages they will be in two separate kids areas and are not allowed to go to their siblings’ area. 

My oldest had a blast going at 5 years old. My youngest was more apprehensive and preferred hanging with us as a little one, but by the time he was 8 there was no turning back..they both go that first day, meet kids and make plans to meet for lunch or the pool or play cards somewhere or meet back up at the kids club, etc. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tanyaewa said:

Yes Princess has comedy shows.

Absolutely they do 

Some comedy shows, yes. But not comedy clubs which is what the poster referenced.

Carnival ships, for example, have comedy clubs which give multiple performances every evening with the early shows rated PG and the later ones rated at least R.

• 2 weeks later...

Our grandson loved kids club on Caribbean

Princess. He was 4.5 and they had so many

activities!

He still talks about his cruise - He’s 6 and ready to go again.

• 8 months later...

So glad I found this thread! I'm going on the Ruby on June 29th with my kids who will be 7 and 11. Happy to hear the kids club is up and running as it's a 9 night cruise. Fingers crossed they will still bring some husky puppies on board!!

@atobols When you say the "first day" I'm assuming it's the first full day of the cruise and not embarkation day? I don't want them to miss out on this all important day!! 😄

Thanks so much!

Be sure to take your grandchildren/ children to the kids club the first day ( embarkation day) to sign them up and get them settled.  There will be lots of activities for them to get involved in, my kids are adults now but they enjoyed the kids club when they were younger.

Edited by Shelly97060
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:36 PM, atobols said:

My boys are 13 and 14.  We went to Alaska 2 years ago.  I asked my youngest what advice he would give to a 10 year old.  He said it's extremely important to go to the first day of kids club.    He says that's when everyone buddies up and you meet the friends you're going to hang with for the rest of the cruise.  He said kids club was amazing but that it only goes for a few hours before and after lunch so there is a lot of time when you get to meet your friends for ice cream or go to the pool.  He also said he would recommend the nature talks, the comedy shows, and the international cafe.  He's a very independent kid so he tends to do his own thing all the time and we only see him at meal times and before bed.  My older son isn't a fan of kids club.  He likes the crafts, the game shows, the comedy shows, and the movies under the stars.  

As a parent, I think it depends on the kid.  My older son would say there isn't a lot to do and it gets boring.  That's because he doesn't make friends outside of his brother and parents.  My younger son is always running from one activity to another and making plans with his friends.  He would say there is a lot going on and it's tons of fun.

The advice is spot on. The first time we took the kids, they were not at all interested in the kid’s area. They kept hanging in the cabin. We were so confused. On day 3, we marched them down there and told them no more ice cream unless they spend an hour in there. 

We didn’t see them again!