All 27 EU countries will allow (vaccinated) US tourists this summer

sfocruiser

9 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Great news! We will be on the new Rotterdam in October in France, Ireland, and the UK, fully vaccinated two weeks ago. 

We are in the same boat (pun intended) we are just on the TA segment.    A lot can change in 6 months but I’ll take a bit of good news anyday

Edited by sfocruiser

I believe we are going to see more and more things like this. People who are fully vaccinated will be given more freedom to travel and attend mass gatherings while those unvaccinated will face restictions or even prohibitions.

It is inevitable that cruise lines will react to this and restrict boardings to only those fully vaccinated.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree...I see vaccine hesitancy decreasing noticeably. I think anti-vaxxers are a small subset of people who are vaccine hesitant. 

While I hope that's true, I'm curious what you basing this on?

Vaccination rates are decreasing even though only roughly 28% of the US population is fully vaccinated (about 42% have gotten at least one jab). In my state we have not even attained 22% fully vaccinated.

There is a lot of work yet to be done. As quoted in US News & World Report, "experts at the Kaiser Family Foundation estimated that the U.S. will likely reach a "tipping point on vaccine enthusiasm in the next 2 to 4 weeks."

"Once this happens, efforts to encourage vaccination will become much harder, presenting a challenge to reaching the levels of herd immunity that are expected to be needed."

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

While I hope that's true, I'm curious what you basing this on?

Vaccination rates are decreasing even though only roughly 28% of the US population is fully vaccinated (about 42% have gotten at least one jab). In my state we have not even attained 22% fully vaccinated.

There is a lot of work yet to be done. As quoted in US News & World Report, "experts at the Kaiser Family Foundation estimated that the U.S. will likely reach a "tipping point on vaccine enthusiasm in the next 2 to 4 weeks."

"Once this happens, efforts to encourage vaccination will become much harder, presenting a challenge to reaching the levels of herd immunity that are expected to be needed."

Pure motivation,  and seeing the firmest, hardcore benefit of being vaccinated. Cruise lines (hint Carnival Corp) will probably come fully on board with vaccine requirements, as will other travel related businesses. I think there have been only hints of benefits before....this is not a hint.

The better numbers may not leap out, but I bet a few percent of the vaccine procrastinators will make a decision, which will create momentum. Will it get us to that magic herd immunity number? Probably not...but closer, for sure. Your quoted studies probably didn't include more serious incentives like this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seahorse99 said:

The article doesn’t state what constitutes acceptable documentation of vaccination. Until that is made clear, travel to the EU won’t be possible. 

It discusses several issues to be resolved. I see the comments on the fact the US only uses vaccines approved in the EU as a positive indicator. As opposed to Chinese or Russian vaccines which no documentation to Western standards. 

I don't think there will be a huge issue over just how secure the CDC cards are.

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Pure motivation,  and seeing the firmest, hardcore benefit of being vaccinated. Cruise lines (hint Carnival Corp) will probably come fully on board with vaccine requirements, as will other travel related businesses. I think there have been only hints of benefits before....this is not a hint.

The better numbers may not leap out, but I bet a few percent of the vaccine procrastinators will make a decision, which will create momentum. Will it get us to that magic herd immunity number? Probably not...but closer, for sure. Your quoted studies probably didn't include more serious incentives like this.

I hope you are right. I suspect the EU decision won't impact the decisions of a lot of those in the largely agricultural areas of southern states, for whom European travel is not in the picture. But if cruising were to return to the US and ALL lines require vaccination, that may move the needle more.

Perhaps my location unduly impacts my assessment. :classic_sad:

3 hours ago, jimgev said:

I believe we are going to see more and more things like this. People who are fully vaccinated will be given more freedom to travel and attend mass gatherings while those unvaccinated will face restictions or even prohibitions.

It is inevitable that cruise lines will react to this and restrict boardings to only those fully vaccinated.

But how are we going to know who is not vaccinated?  Are they going to check cards at the door?  I know I would be proud to show mine...  but it makes one wonder if it wouldn’t have been a good idea to implant that chip...  Now if they could implant a chip which could be updated with every immunization...  Then the pharmacist wouldn’t need to ask if you have had x shot.  They could just aim the chip reader at the area and see that you are up to date.  EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

But how are we going to know who is not vaccinated?  Are they going to check cards at the door?  I know I would be proud to show mine...  but it makes one wonder if it wouldn’t have been a good idea to implant that chip...  Now if they could implant a chip which could be updated with every immunization...  Then the pharmacist wouldn’t need to ask if you have had x shot.  They could just aim the chip reader at the area and see that you are up to date.  EM

Oh no!  Not the chip! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hope you are right. I suspect the EU decision won't impact the decisions of a lot of those in the largely agricultural areas of southern states, for whom European travel is not in the picture. But if cruising were to return to the US and ALL lines require vaccination, that may move the needle more.

Perhaps my location unduly impacts my assessment. :classic_sad:

Agreed - I live in a city where there has been huge demand for vaccine, but the overall numbers are concerning. The people who are resisting the vaccine or for whom it seems ominous or overwhelming are not generally the same people who would be influenced by European travel access. I do wonder if US private employers will be legally able to require vaccine. There's discussion that private music and sports venues may require proof of vaccine, but harder to do in public places. It will be interesting to see if Europe is more able to compel people to get vaccinated. It seems like it would be more culturally possible there.

As was pointed out to me HAL’s contract specifies that it is the cruiser’s responsibility to make sure they have all visas/vaccinations needed in order to travel.  Because of this I’m not sure HAL will change their stance.  

My question is who will be checking vaccination status? Will it be done at airport arrival? If this is the case, and unvaccinated travelers are denied entry and sent home, then no problem, they won’t be on the ship.  

15 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

My question is who will be checking vaccination status? Will it be done at airport arrival? If this is the case, and unvaccinated travelers are denied entry and sent home, then no problem, they won’t be on the ship.  

I suspect that is when it would be done.  Just like you have to show your passport, you will need to show proof of vaccine to enter the EU.

The question becomes, what proof will suffice?  What we are receiving here is different than what our U.S. friends are receiving.  Hopefully there will be information forthcoming as the EU prepares to re-open.