Millennium St Martin Cruise now includes Inside and OV cabins

foggyphils

I just went to the Celebrity site and can also confirm that foggyphils is correct.
This just shows that Celebrity can not be trusted to keep their word. When I booked for 6/5, it was a stated fact that only balcony cabins would be used and bookable. Looking at the number of cabins that have been booked; which is less than 40% as of now, why would Celebrity risk the rath of those who booked under that consideration? Could this be another situation that will blame the IT department or is this the only way Celebrity can fill their quota.

I’m sure the CDC will not allow this to happen when sailing resumes in the US. 

Hal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two possibilities:

The least likely:  The cruises are selling well AND they've decided it's safe enough to up the occupancy.

More likely:  They're not selling well...and, since they've decided to cap it at, say, 50% and they'd rather those 50% be upper categories...but, if sales are lagging, they might be able to bring in more customers by offering some lower prices...and, rather than p***ing existing customers off by posting balconies at new lower prices, they offer a few insides or OVs at those lower prices--eventually cutting off all sales at 50%.  People who booked balconies can't demand their price be lowered since they're not advertising balconies at lower prices...and, eventually, you can offer the people who booked insides or OVs the opportunity to bid for an upgrade in order to try to squeeze more money out of them.  You'd rather book half the ship in Suites, Aqua and Concierge...but, if that isn't happening, get creative...better to fill some inside cabins than to sail too empty.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Book your cabin if you like the price, if not, stay home...whining about who can’t be trusted is just that, whining.

Wasn't the issue raised by @HS2BS a capacity issue, rather than a price issue?

If I booked the cruise based on the assumption of max 50% capacity, and then there ends up being more people, I wouldn't be too impressed either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know that I would not be happy if Celebrity had published these cruises as only sailing at X percent capacity (per their own "safe sailing" guidelines or whatever they are officially called), and then after I booked and made plans (flights, hotels, etc.) I learned that they are actually going to sail at a higher capacity.

• Like 4

This is my first time sailing with Celebrity and thus far I’ve experienced some rather questionable sales practices. 

When they first announced their St. Martin sailings they advertised airfare would be included in the price. As we know now, it wasn’t included and since booking they have had huge sales with Flights by Celebrity which would have saved me roughly $500pp

Then they advertised gratitudes were included. Because I booked after final payment, I had to pay immediately when I booked. Everything was all set and then a day later I had an additional balance due, which coincided with the gratuities amount. My credit card was charged and it took 3 phone calls and 2 weeks later to have it refunded. 

Meh. 

At least I’ll be on a cruise again soon. 

OMG... The main reason we decided on this cruise: we figured it would be the only time ever to sail on a half empty ship, with plenty of room by the pool, no crowding or queues anywhere. And of course there is no way to cancel our flights at this point. GRRR. 

49 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

More likely:  They're not selling well...and, since they've decided to cap it at, say, 50% and they'd rather those 50% be upper categories...but, if sales are lagging, they might be able to bring in more customers by offering some lower prices...and, rather than p***ing existing customers off by posting balconies at new lower prices, they offer a few insides or OVs at those lower prices--eventually cutting off all sales at 50%.  People who booked balconies can't demand their price be lowered since they're not advertising balconies at lower prices...and, eventually, you can offer the people who booked insides or OVs the opportunity to bid for an upgrade in order to try to squeeze more money out of them.  You'd rather book half the ship in Suites, Aqua and Concierge...but, if that isn't happening, get creative...better to fill some inside cabins than to sail too empty.

I think this is more likely. When you go to the big box store travel website, there are sooo many available cabins. I realize some might be guarantees but there was no price incentive to book a guarantee. It was the same price. I don’t think half the sweet 16 cabins are booked on my cruise and there are tens of Aqua suite cabins available. (June 5th sailing). 

25 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

If I booked the cruise based on the assumption of max 50% capacity, and then there ends up being more people, I wouldn't be too impressed either.

I don’t recall seeing an exact capacity percentage...maybe I missed that...

25 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

NO!  It is NOT a capacity issue.  Look at the available cabins...They aren't filling the ship to 50% selling just balcony and above...Offering some Insides and OVs is just a way to get near or reach the 50% mark by giving customers some more lower priced options.  They will still stop at 50%.

Just that they offer those cabins does NOT mean you can make the inference they're going over the stated 50%.  It just means they are expanding the customer pool from which to fill the 50% by allowing some people who were priced out of the higher categories due to affordability,  You only do this if you aren't hitting the desired percentage with your original plan.

12 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

NO!  It is NOT a capacity issue.  Look at the available cabins...They aren't filling the ship to 50% selling just balcony and above...Offering some Insides and OVs is just a way to get near or reach the 50% mark by giving customers some more lower priced options.  They will still stop at 50%.

Just that they offer those cabins does NOT mean you can make the inference they're going over the stated 50%.  It just means they are expanding the customer pool from which to fill the 50% by allowing some people who were priced out of the higher categories due to affordability,  You only do this if you aren't hitting the desired percentage with your original plan.

I'm confused.

If X states* they are only selling balcony cabins and sailing only at 50%, then they open up inside and OV for sale, how do they not go over 50%?

For every inside sold, they then take a balcony out of inventory?

*I am not saying X stated those conditions.  I'm just trying to understand the capacity vs. $ issues that have been raised or implied. 

Edited by Shadow9612

1 minute ago, Shadow9612 said:

Yes. 

If there are 1000 cabins they can sell 500 balconies OR 250 balconies and 250 insides. Still at 50%

• Thanks 1

I"ll be shocked if the first couple of cruises get past 40%. I really hope they do though because I'm not sure how they will justify having everything open everyday. Some things we have thought might happen:

1. Specialty Restaurants not open every day? Only certain ones on certain days? In my Cruise Planner, I'm not able to book the discounted 1st night at Tuscan Grill that's listed. I get an error page. Does that mean it might not even open the first night?

2. How will nightly entertainment be limited? Will we even get 1 "show" per evening? Will less popular venues be closed? 

Who knows until we board the ship though. I'm going to have a great time either way. 

I agree, those sailing starting in June with Apex are very high priced- small wonder they open up cheaper cabins.

It remains to be seen, if they fill up to 60% capacity.

I am either going in June or July on board Apex- I opt for a Sunset Verandah- I don´t like what I see or read about those Infinity - Wintergarden- Cabins. Some may love them- I rather a have a real balcony.

As for the price- -oh well I want to go- so I swallow the " high- price- pill"- take it or leave it.

• Thanks 1

The inside and ocean view cabins are now available on all six cruises offered. I wholly agree with the theory that the balcony’s weren’t selling and they figured it would be better to get their capacity numbers by opening the lower priced categories than lower the price on the balcony’s, and alienate the people that paid full price. A couple of days ago I checked availability on the June 5 sailing and there were about 175 open cabins. If the goal was 50% capacity that would only be about 550 cabins. Being inside final payment, there would be no reason to hold cabins for guarantees.

• Like 1

So what happened to the “pent up demand and record breaking bookings”?

Even with a “all passengers and crew vaccinated”, inside and ocean view cabins could be problematic if any out break were to happen. A better solution to Celebrity’s booking situation would to reduce balcony prices to a more reasonable price and issue OBC refunds to existing booked guests.

Just to make a small correction to grandgeezer, as of yesterday(4/26/1), there were 276 vacant balcony cabins out of 536 available = 27% occupied. [No A1 cabins are shown except the accessible on deck 9]

I never complained about the price, but know that it was unusually higher then previous cruises, but we want to return to cruising, but safely.

Hal.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I tend to agree with your take, and makes me wonder why/how anyone could have an issue with it.  It's almost like some want the restart of cruising to fail.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

16 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

Even with a “all passengers and crew vaccinated”, inside and ocean view cabins could be problematic if any out break were to happen.

Edge has a total of 1,467 cabins. Only 279 of those are inside or ocean view. If it was necessary they could still move all of the insides and OV guests to a balcony cabin and still have plenty of room. 

12 hours ago, HS2BS said:

I just went to the Celebrity site and can also confirm that foggyphils is correct.
This just shows that Celebrity can not be trusted to keep their word. When I booked for 6/5, it was a stated fact that only balcony cabins would be used and bookable. Looking at the number of cabins that have been booked; which is less than 40% as of now, why would Celebrity risk the rath of those who booked under that consideration? Could this be another situation that will blame the IT department or is this the only way Celebrity can fill their quota.

I’m sure the CDC will not allow this to happen when sailing resumes in the US. 

Hal

You are right.  The CDC won't allow it.  And, IF they are increasing capacity limits for these sailings despite what they have told those who have booked, then perhaps they can't be trusted.  All the more reason for the CDC to retain its control of the process. 

EDIT:  The whole point of removing OV and Insides is for health and safety.  RCG  and CLIA committed last Fall to only using balcony and above.  What has changed in their minds?  For sailing out of the US, the CSO prohibits placing passengers in cabins with no fresh air source.  I know the CSO does not apply to the new island cruises, but that requirement should still apply if Celebrity is committed to their health priorities. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Seany527 said:

This is my first time sailing with Celebrity and thus far I’ve experienced some rather questionable sales practices. 

When they first announced their St. Martin sailings they advertised airfare would be included in the price. As we know now, it wasn’t included and since booking they have had huge sales with Flights by Celebrity which would have saved me roughly $500pp

Then they advertised gratitudes were included. Because I booked after final payment, I had to pay immediately when I booked. Everything was all set and then a day later I had an additional balance due, which coincided with the gratuities amount. My credit card was charged and it took 3 phone calls and 2 weeks later to have it refunded. 

Meh. 

At least I’ll be on a cruise again soon. 

The prices they came out with were $500 less than they originally said to account for the airfare.  No dishonestly here. 

Sounds like the gratuities was an error.  Whenever I book Celebrity with gratuities included, the system adds then subtracts the cost of the gratuities.  It usually takes a day or two.  This too is not dishonest, it was a computer glitch.  Not sure how your credit card was charged as they don't store your card. 

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Exactly!  I get so tired of people thinking that everyone is out to do something nefarious.  My first thought was maybe they are opening it up to employees, but then I looked at the number of cabins booked and figured it was designed to have a lower price point to maybe attract a few more bookings. 

11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I'm confused.

If X states* they are only selling balcony cabins and sailing only at 50%, then they open up inside and OV for sale, how do they not go over 50%?

*I am not saying X stated those conditions.  I'm just trying to understand the capacity vs. $ issues that have been raised or implied. 

By not selling more than 50% of the cabins available.  As with all cruise lines, even if cabins are available, they might not be able to sell a room if full ship capacity has been reached.  There are more berths on nearly all ships than what they can sell.  If most rooms that sleep 4 only have 3 people, they can sell more cabins than if there are 4 in the cabins.  It's a numbers game they have played for years. 

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

So what happened to the “pent up demand and record breaking bookings”?

Even with a “all passengers and crew vaccinated”, inside and ocean view cabins could be problematic if any out break were to happen. A better solution to Celebrity’s booking situation would to reduce balcony prices to a more reasonable price and issue OBC refunds to existing booked guests.

Just to make a small correction to grandgeezer, as of yesterday(4/26/1), there were 276 vacant balcony cabins out of 536 available = 27% occupied. [No A1 cabins are shown except the accessible on deck 9]

I never complained about the price, but know that it was unusually higher then previous cruises, but we want to return to cruising, but safely.

Hal.

There is a lot of pent up demand and record breaking bookings... for 2022 and beyond.  A lot of cruisers don't want to be the first.  Many don't want to fly to another country to cruise. 

Just because there are 276 vacant balcony cabins doesn't mean that they are selling all 276 of them. 

There are a lot of assumptions being made about what Celebrity is doing, but to assume that they are not doing it safely is wrong in my opinion.  Remember, you can always cancel and get a full future cruise credit up to 48 hours prior with Cruise with Confidence. 

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

If there are 536 and 276 are vacant then 260 are booked  that is about 49% booked not 27%.

You are correct that about 50% of the balconies are booked in this scenario, but about 27% of the ship.  We don't know though if all of the cabins were open to book in balcony and above for all sailings.  On my sailing, there are 784 cabins that are either not released or still available to book.  Possibly 37 more as there are no A1s available to book, which seems odd that they sold out completely.  This means that 74% of the ship is not booked.  We don't have a way to know how many rooms are blocked from booking or actually booked so you can't figure it out that way.