July cruising from USA unlikely

This won't come as a surprise to most of us, but Cruise Industry News just published an article about why it is unlikely any cruise ships will sail in July from the USA. I do think it's interesting they mentioned the difficulty of getting crew and port workers. I don't believe the CDC has even responded to NCL's request to begin July 4th with full vaccinations.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24860-july-cruising-from-u-s-ports-more-unlikely.html

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This won't come as a surprise to most of us, but Cruise Industry News just published an article about why it is unlikely any cruise ships will sail in July from the USA. I do think it's interesting they mentioned the difficulty of getting crew and port workers. I don't believe the CDC has even responded to NCL's request to begin July 4th with full vaccinations.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24860-july-cruising-from-u-s-ports-more-unlikely.html

The CDC has responded, at least by implication.  NCL asked in their proposal that the CSO be lifted. The meeting between the cruise line execs (including NCL) and the CDC made clear that the CSO would remain in place and the cruise lines would only be able to start in compliance with the phased plan.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steff79 said:

as i read they want to motivate young people to get vaccinated in the USA.

Let´s start cruising for vaccinated people.

I agree the motivation is seriously lacking.  Receiving CDC’s measured stamp of approval to be unmasked outside, especially alone or among other vaccinated.    Small achievable goals.  Would not want the CDC to break a sweat.

Vaccination rates are lagging in some regions of the US.  Authorities are rightly concerned and fundamentally confused.  They have absolutely no idea how to respond in any substantive way.

Edited by logan25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Wow! Maybe NCL really does think they can pull off the USA this summer. I'm feeling doubtful, but they may know something I don't. Is it past final payment yet?

Final payment is May 4th.  And the ship is currently in the UK

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yes, by implication but I thought that NCL went farther and asked CDC to specifically reply to their request to sail?

Frank Del Rio put out a statement to the media complaining that his written proposal had not been responded to three days AFTER the meeting he was at where the execs were told that the CSO was to remain in place.  What purpose would it serve for him to receive a blunt written "thanks but no thanks" reply.  I'm sure that the CDC is taking into account NCL's proposed protocols and vaccine mandate as they proceed with the working group.  Should they throw the baby out with the bath water and just reject the entire thing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It seems to me the intent was to get the CDC to put in writing. For the lawsuits that are going no-where of course 🙂

Yes.  For media and political influence specifically.  Still disingenuous.  

34 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Even though I think that July cruises out of the US absolutely will not happen, I am among those who have decided to give the middle finger to the CDC, and travel to a foreign port to board the ship... 

Me too--flying to Punta Cana in August.  The CDC can stick their politics where the sun don't shine.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Even though I think that July cruises out of the US absolutely will not happen, I am among those who have decided to give the middle finger to the CDC, and travel to a foreign port to board the ship... 

Me too except I decided to give the CDC both middle fingers (double rods).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's not politics. It's the science of infectious diseases.  Read the first pages of the Framework to see exactly why the CDC views cruises as high risk, and exactly how the cruise lines disregarded guidance and made it worse for themselves.

When you start cruising, 50% of your fellow Americans aren't going to be vaccinated.  That's not good odds of an outbreak-free cruise.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

It's not politics. It's the science of infectious diseases.  Read the first pages of the Framework to see exactly why the CDC views cruises as high risk, and exactly how the cruise lines disregarded guidance and made it worse for themselves.

When you start cruising, 50% of your fellow Americans aren't going to be vaccinated.  That's not good odds of an outbreak-free cruise.

Most of the "facts" in the first few pages of the CSO are outdated (as they should be, October was many moons ago in the Covid world).  That is the issue here.  The CSO is using March 2020 facts that they compiled in Oct of 2020 and applying them to the state of Covid today in the USA.  If we did that with everything we would all still be locked in our homes with nothing open.

That is where most of the complaints come from (from cruise loving folks).  

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Agree.  I believe the longer FL won't let the cruise lines sail out of their ports, the harder it will be for them to woo those cruises back.

I'm a couple of weeks behind you sailing the Joy out of Jamaica.  Flight was easy to make and is about the same price I would have paid to fly to MIA or MCO.  Plus, spending some pre-cruise time at a resort that includes meals, for about the same price as a hotel in either MIA or MCO.  So, it's easy, which is why it will be difficult to woo those ships back to FL once these sailings get under way with the Caribbean as their origination point.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

But that is why NCL is only allowing vaccinated passengers.

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Well, at least they cancelled it before final payment.

Were you offered any perks? Increased FCC? etc??

Just the standard 10% discount coupon, only if you don't have an unused one in your account. 

Based on prior experience, you might not even get that - I had to fight to get my "second" one with a previous cancellation, even though I'd already applied the first one.  They'll tell you it's one to a customer...hopefully they got enough flak that they fixed it.

• Thanks 1