Oceania Sailing Restart August, 29th!!

Aloha 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I wouldn’t count out ATW 2022 just yet. Perhaps there will be itinerary modifications (e.g., embarkation from Bermuda instead of Miami, added sea days, etc.). Remember that Insignia’s operation for the ATW half a year also serves segment cruisers. That’s a lot of business to dump just for not modifying the US port involvement. 

By the time Oceania moves away from the dock on their first cruise this year, it will be less than 4 months until the ATW embarkation.

That is a lot of money to ask those ATW cruisers to commit to when so many different destination countries are involved.

Edited by Tranquility Base

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I wouldn’t count out ATW 2022 just yet. Perhaps there will be itinerary modifications (e.g., embarkation from Bermuda instead of Miami, added sea days, etc.). Remember that Insignia’s operation for the ATW half a year also serves segment cruisers. That’s a lot of business to dump just for not modifying the US port involvement. 

Agree-My husband and I fully expect to leave from Mexico not U.S.  But with half the countries still struggling Im beginning to have doubts about the cruise.  I'm not cancelling yet-just not going to make any plans.  

I fail to understand why masks are required when all crew and passengers are required to have received vaccinations prior to boarding. Since Regent is also requiring a COVID test before boarding and also before disembarking, the same may apply to Oceania. We are booked in March 2022 and while I am pleased vaccinations are required, if it appears at final payment that masks are also required, we will definitely cancel because that makes zero sense. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HeatherInFlorida said:

I fail to understand why masks are required when all crew and passengers are required to have received vaccinations prior to boarding. Since Regent is also requiring a COVID test before boarding and also before disembarking, the same may apply to Oceania. We are booked in March 2022 and while I am pleased vaccinations are required, if it appears at final payment that masks are also required, we will definitely cancel because that makes zero sense. 

It only makes zero sense to folks who don’t seem to understand the science. Everyday, we are reminded that vaccination doesn’t necessarily stop transmission.

The SF Chronicle reported this morning that California has 1,379 virus infections in fully vaccinated people.

PLEASE pay attention.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It only makes zero sense to folks who don’t seem to understand the science. Everyday, we are reminded that vaccination doesn’t necessarily stop transmission.

The SF Chronicle reported this morning that California has 1,379 virus infections in fully vaccinated people.

PLEASE pay attention.

I do pay attention. Keep  in mind that the vaccines are 95% EFFECTIVE. So statistically, 5% MIGHT get Covid. HOWEVER, they will not die nor will they suffer severe illness per the CDC. There is also the question of did they continue to take proper precautions until their second shot and for two weeks after?? Did they even get their second shot? I add the SF Chronicle is not a medical publication and should not be viewed as such.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I do pay attention. Keep  in mind that the vaccines are 95% EFFECTIVE. So statistically, 5% MIGHT get Covid. HOWEVER, they will not die nor will they suffer severe illness per the CDC. There is also the question of did they continue to take proper precautions until their second shot and for two weeks after?? Did they even get their second shot? I add the SF Chronicle is not a medical publication and should not be viewed as such.

The SF Chronicle just reported the facts about FULLY VACCINATED people who contracted Covid. It doesn’t make them up or analyze them. The numbers come from the State Heath Department. And BTW, the current stats (per the CDC) across ALL vaccines in use in the USA state an average effectiveness of 70-90% - NOT 95%. PLEASE get your facts straight. (And make sure to get the eventual booster shots [under development] to handle the current and future variants for which we have no efficacy stats).

In any case, “will not” and “have not” die(d) are vastly different things. The jury is still out on what exactly is the long term evidenced efficacy of the vaccines.  Even the CDC has not fully approved any one vaccine - choosing instead to continue “emergency authorization.”

Nonetheless, while we trust that all eventually will prove to be okay, we are not interested in Oceania risking our or your lives (not to mention their own continuing operation) by eliminating mask mandates too soon just to make a few selfish people happy. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Keep  in mind that the vaccines are 95% EFFECTIVE. So statistically, 5% MIGHT get Covid.

There may be 5 or 6 different vaccines in use onboard a ship.

Each has a different efficiency against various variants.

New variants are emerging.

A case in point is the crisis in India which may well be the dominating concern for the World in the coming months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

There may be 5 or 6 different vaccines in use onboard a ship.

Each has a different efficiency against various variants.

New variants are emerging.

A case in point is the crisis in India which may well be the dominating concern for the World in the coming months.

Exactly.

41 minutes ago, HeatherInFlorida said:

Because the repercussions of anyone on board testing positive is disastrous, both to that entire cruise and to the cruise line and industry as a whole.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m with Heather.  I won’t sail if I’m required to wear a mask in public areas.  I can’t imagine strolling through Horizons with a mask.  I’m fully vaccinated and if everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated I’ll feel safe enough.  By the time we’re allowed to sail in August I hope most of this mess is behind us, but meanwhile I’m getting on with my life without a mask.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, alaskaca said:

Best thing in my email this a.m.

Wishing Oceania all the best as they move forward to accomplish this goal. 

I wonder who got the emails and who didn't. We're booked for '22 and didn't. Maybe just August?

16 hours ago, susiesan said:

This cruise involves 9 countries, each with their own rules and regulations. I am surprised O decided to start with such a complex itinerary rather than one in just one country, like Greece. With the 8/29 cruise beginning in Denmark and ending in Sweden flight arrangements also get more difficult.

This is where communications can be misinterpreted, they did not confirm the itinerary....they have been very careful with their wording, and used 'schedules' rather than 'itineraries', as cut & pasted below:

...the first ship to welcome our Oceania Club members home will be Marina on August 29th when she will sail from Copenhagen to restart her previously published voyage schedules. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Because the repercussions of anyone on board testing positive is disastrous, both to that entire cruise and to the cruise line and industry as a whole.

Excellent point. And one very well made at a time when an already fragile industry is gearing up to restarting.

I've now had my two AZ injections and, in a few days, I will be as well protected as I'm going to be for now. I know that is not 100% and I also know that it is not yet known how transmissable the virus is, after vaccination. So, I'll be continuing to wear my mask in populated situations - not so much to protect me from you, but to protect you from me.

• Like 4

First sailing is in four (4) months. Four months ago how many of you had received even your first shot?? Anyone grasp that things might change by the end of August?

Other sailings won’t start until at least October or November.

• Like 2

New CDC news on cruising with vaccinations. 🤪🛳🙏🤞. More positive info for US ports potentially opening in the coming months 

In talking to my O rep yesterday she did say the August 29 Baltic sailing was currently set for the published itinerary. Nothing is ever set in stone but this is a good start.  Now to add Riviera to the EU sailings and then the R class ships close to home. 

21 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

First sailing is in four (4) months. Four months ago how many of you had received even your first shot?? Anyone grasp that things might change by the end of August?

Other sailings won’t start until at least October or November.

The Aug. 29 Marina sailing has all categories available except the bottom 5, insides and outsides are all booked up. It is wide open for new bookings. Prices are very high, no discounts to encourage any new bookings. It will be interesting to see who will decide to book this cruise with it unknown what the schedule of ports will be. Final payment is due 6/20, that will give an idea of how many people are actually going to go through with the cruise.

Since O is only going to fill the ships to 50%, out of curiosity I looked at my booking for an inside cabin to see if I had been upgraded. Nope. If something were to happen and the ship got quarantined, I would be stuck in a windowless cabin for 14 days. It would be a nice gesture on Oceania's part to upgrade those of us who have had this cruise booked and deposited since 2019, might encourage some not to cancel.

14 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

I’m with Heather.  I won’t sail if I’m required to wear a mask in public areas.  I can’t imagine strolling through Horizons with a mask.  I’m fully vaccinated and if everyone else on the ship is also vaccinated I’ll feel safe enough.  By the time we’re allowed to sail in August I hope most of this mess is behind us, but meanwhile I’m getting on with my life without a mask.  

Then don't sail. I am choosing lines that are practicing caution. To each his or her own, enjoy whatever you do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since O is only going to fill the ships to 50%, out of curiosity I looked at my booking for an inside cabin to see if I had been upgraded. Nope. If something were to happen and the ship got quarantined, I would be stuck in a windowless cabin for 14 days.

I would expect insides / oceanviews to be set aside for some crew accommodations, and also some contingency isolation cabins.

If upgrades are possible Oceania will either do this or make a moveover offer.

Just give them a bit of time.

Many things for them to sort out.

Getting vaccinated crew onto the ship is one high on the list

• Like 1

Had an email from Oceania this morning advising that our cruise on Rivera departing 26 September round Western Meditterrean  has been cancelled. Deposit will be refunded. No offer of FCC instead. Similar cruise in Sept 2022 suggested but it will cost another £1,000pp so will wait and see what next year brings before booking again.

😪