Relaxed rules for shore excursions...

sid_9169

I just came across this. It appears that NCL will now be allowing passengers to explore ports on their own in certain instances. Formerly, they were only offering ship sponsored excursions. This is great news for me, as I hate being forced to book through the cruise line...

179538189_10226410273027220_31405949285177895_n.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

That's a huge departure (sorry) from what other lines are doing...

I wonder if this is related to their vaccination required policy and the recent recommendations by the CDC for what vaccinated individuals can do safely.

Edited by hallux

This is huge, for me.  I don't want to go on a cruise that require NCL only excursions.  I almost always go on our own, especially in Hawaii where you'd want to rent a car to go places, or in some ports where I want to go scuba diving and cruiselines only partner with cattleboats with many beginners charging twice or more.

We are thinking of a b2b Panama cruise in Jan/2022, and would go only if we are not restricted to NCL only excursions.

• Like 3

HUGE news!  This should swell NCL sales for upcoming cruises, don't you think? Many cruisers want the freedom to get off the ship and explore the port area, purchase a few gifts or other trinkets, or head to places they can  easily walk to especially if these are repeat ports for them!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

HUGE news!  This should swell NCL sales for upcoming cruises, don't you think? Many cruisers want the freedom to get off the ship and explore the port area, purchase a few gifts or other trinkets, or head to places they can  easily walk to especially if these are repeat ports for them!

I will always book shore excursions with the cruise line for places that getting around is a hassle, such as ports that are out of town (Piraeus, Civitavecchia) or ports where the sights and interesting places are not as easily reached (some of the Caribbean islands) but for places like cities such as Barcelona and most of the med/northern Europe ports I definitely would rather do alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GamblingMommy said:

I’m wondering how we will know what the protocols are for each port. 

Things are changing quickly.  By the time people go on their cruises, things would have changed from today, so it's a matter of keeping an eye out.

Good news indeed, but don't underestimate the importance of "according to the protocols in each specific port".  If Roatan (for example) is still allowing only ship tours, that's no better than what we had before.  This sort of thing can change from day to day, so I won't completely believe that the door leading to town is open until I see it.

18 hours ago, hallux said:

That's a huge departure (sorry) from what other lines are doing...

I wonder if this is related to their vaccination required policy and the recent recommendations by the CDC for what vaccinated individuals can do safely.

Crystal has a similar policy for their sailings out of the Bahamas this summer.

Yes, I do believe the recent CDC recommendations had a hand in this.

16 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Whatever the case, I'm getting in touch with my driver in Cozumel... I can't wait to visit my favorite beach bars again...

We love hiring a taxi in Cozumel and heading to the east side.  What are your favorites in Cozumel?  Also, do you mind sharing your driver's name and nubmer?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluehawk47 said:

We love hiring a taxi in Cozumel and heading to the east side.  What are your favorites in Cozumel?  Also, do you mind sharing your driver's name and nubmer?

My driver's name is Crescencio with Black Hat Cozumel... They have a website, but I usually just send him a message on Facebook Messenger... He's a regular taxi driver when he's not giving pre arranged tours. I've been riding with him since 2014. He knows everyone on the island, as he's lived there all his life.

My favorites are Mezcalitos on the East Side, as well as the Coconut Cabana AKA Miami Bar AKA 25 Hour Bar, also on the East Side. Dick's Dive on the square is also one of my go to places in town...

45 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

My driver's name is Crescencio with Black Hat Cozumel... They have a website, but I usually just send him a message on Facebook Messenger... He's a regular taxi driver when he's not giving pre arranged tours. I've been riding with him since 2014. He knows everyone on the island, as he's lived there all his life.

My favorites are Mezcalitos on the East Side, as well as the Coconut Cabana AKA Miami Bar AKA 25 Hour Bar, also on the East Side. Dick's Dive on the square is also one of my go to places in town...

If you've never tried it, the 'Cozumel Bar Hop' is a great time! Get on a bus at Senor Frogs and stop at 4 different bars on the east side of the island. Check it out. They have a website. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kdog3ss said:

If you've never tried it, the 'Cozumel Bar Hop' is a great time! Get on a bus at Senor Frogs and stop at 4 different bars on the east side of the island. Check it out. They have a website. 

I've done that a few times, but I like to take my own private bar hop, where I can go wherever I want, for as long as I want... Also, Coconuts has probably the worst mixed drinks on the island...

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I've done that a few times, but I like to take my own private bar hop, where I can go wherever I want, for as long as I want... Also, Coconuts has probably the worst mixed drinks on the island...

But the Corona is always cold....😃

• Like 1